It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2004, 08:42 PM   #1
(male)

JimK HB User
Question Thyroid problem??????

I am new to this forum. I have been having several symptoms that I think are indicative of a thyroid problem.

Excessive sweating (without strenuous excercise)
Fatigue ( feel tired even when I get up in the morning)
Moderate depression
Lower blood pressure than usual ( 106/64
Difficulty concentrating
High colesterol (298)

Blood work done in May showed a TSH of .903 Normal= .300-5.500
I am thinking of requesting a complete throid profile. I take B12 injections due to the lack of the intrinsic factor in the stomach.

By the way I am a 64 yr old male.
Any thoughts and suggestions would be apprecialted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2004, 05:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: Thyroid problem??????

Hello, I am just bumping you up so the more experienced can give you some good advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2004, 07:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

If you go for more testing make sure they test your FREE T3, FREE T4, Total T3 and Total T4 as well as check you for antibodies, TPO and TSI. You can have a perfectly normal TSH and still have a thyroid problem. If you just ask for a thyroid panel they will not do all the above tests, you have to ask specifically for them.

Your symptoms could very well be thyroid related, although they can also be connected to other things, so if you get the above tests you will at least find the problem or rule out thyroid.

Good luck and please keep us updated.

Old 09-24-2004, 09:12 AM   #4

candylanell HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimK
I am new to this forum. I have been having several symptoms that I think are indicative of a thyroid problem.

Excessive sweating (without strenuous excercise)
Fatigue ( feel tired even when I get up in the morning)
Moderate depression
Lower blood pressure than usual ( 106/64
Difficulty concentrating
High colesterol (298)

Blood work done in May showed a TSH of .903 Normal= .300-5.500
I am thinking of requesting a complete throid profile. I take B12 injections due to the lack of the intrinsic factor in the stomach.

By the way I am a 64 yr old male.
Any thoughts and suggestions would be apprecialted.
my dad is 65, he has all the exact syptoms you have listed, he has been in and out of the doctors for awhile because of it, but they arent taking him serious enough, I told him just a couple days ago he might check into thyroid testing.he doesnt know if they tested him for it or not before... if you find out anything, I would be interested to know, because those are the exact symptoms he is complaining of as well
Candy

Old 09-24-2004, 10:12 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Hello Jimk,

My tsh showed normal too. I had the freet4 test(they didn't do the freet3).My freet4 showed that my level is just below the middle range which shows that I am hypo.

The middle of the range might not be right for everyone( including me). I will feel better if it is in the upper range.

Dea4 is right about not just going by the tsh. There are many people that don't know that. I didn't know until I found this healthboard.

Good luck

Old 09-24-2004, 11:59 AM   #6
(male)

JimK HB User

Thanks for your help Lady50. I will keep all of you posted as to what is found. I go back to the doctor on Monday. Will ask for all of the tests suggested. He is a very thorough and understanding physician and will do whatever it takes to get to the root of the problem. I sure hope it is soon. Thanks again to all of you for your interest and help.

Jim

Old 09-24-2004, 12:45 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimK
Thanks for your help Lady50. I will keep all of you posted as to what is found. I go back to the doctor on Monday. Will ask for all of the tests suggested. He is a very thorough and understanding physician and will do whatever it takes to get to the root of the problem. I sure hope it is soon. Thanks again to all of you for your interest and help.

Jim

Keep in mind, that even if the test results come back in range, it doesn't mean your thyroid is working properly. With thyroid, the range is only a gauge and being in range is not good enough, a lot depends on where in the range your results fall. For men, the FREE levels and totals generally need to be at least at mid range. To find mid range, take the high and low number of the lab range, add them together and then divide by 2, this would be mid range and your number should be at least that high.

Please keep us updated.

Closed Thread