It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2004, 10:59 PM   #1

sedwa HB User
Question How long does it take to get hyper...?

I've been diagnosed hypo for nearly a year. I've just had my labs done, and my FP only tests TSH. My TSH came back normal, so we're now calling it anxiety. I'm not entirely convinced, though she could be right.

My TSH was 1.35 about a week and a half ago. I was feeling very stressed, anxious, a little short of breath, having trouble sleeping.. I stopped taking my synthroid the morning my labs were done (labs done around 36 hrs after my last synthroid dose), and stayed off for two more days before starting up again. At that point I felt a lot better. (also took place during a weekend when I had lots of help from my husband.)

I'm back on the synthroid at the same dosage and the anxiousness and stress hasn't returned, and I'm wondering if it takes a certain amount of time to build up in my system. Does anyone know?

The last time I went hyper (and my TSH dropped) I'd been taking a higher dose of levoxyl for nearly a month. The synthroid I'm currently on I'd been on for 2 months before the hyper symtoms showed up.

I hope this makes sense. I'm grasping at straws, and trying to figure out what's going on.

Old 09-24-2004, 04:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: How long does it take to get hyper...?

I am just bumping you up so the more experienced can give you some good advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2004, 05:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedwa
I've been diagnosed hypo for nearly a year. I've just had my labs done, and my FP only tests TSH. My TSH came back normal, so we're now calling it anxiety. I'm not entirely convinced, though she could be right.
TSH can't be used as a reliable marker once you start treatment. You need to monitor your Free T levels to see if you're going hyper. Some people have to have their TSH almost completely suppressed before their FTs budge and they feel good. If their doctors went by their TSH number they'd never feel good. It's possible you're hyper, but w/o knowing your FT4 and FT3 you can't tell for sure - obviously your symptoms will give you a clue, but what if it was anxiety or stress or a reaction to something?

Nat

Old 09-24-2004, 06:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

I agree totally with Gopherhead. Get those frees tested. My guess is that one or both are too high and that's why you're feeling hyper. You could possibly be one of those people who will feel better with a TSH above 2.
Please insist your doctor test your frees. You don't want to keep going on that roller coaster ride. It can be dangerous.
Barb

Closed Thread