It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2004, 11:22 PM   #1
(female)

pushka HB User
I'm back, after major surgery....

Hello people

After some months away I am back after a health struggle. Basically have had a hysterectomy for complex cysts (possible cancer) but think I have avoided this diagnosis, I'm still waiting on results but things look good so far.

OK, so how many ladies have any knowledge about HRT and thyroid! I have been put into instant menopause and am drowning in night sweats.

Any info would be gratefully received.

Old 09-24-2004, 04:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: I'm back, after major surgery....

Hi Pushka,

I am sorry you had to go through all that.But, it had to be done. I am 51 years old and started menopause at 44 and am now postmenopause.

Hon I have tried just about everything for my symptoms. There are so many patches and pills.

I always liked the patches because the medicine doesn't have to go through your system. Right now I am not on anything. My FNP said that if I was on HRT they would have to keep an eye on how my thyroid is doing. Don't really want to go through that hassel.

In your situation, you really need the HRT. On the menopause boards they have a lot of good information about natural and synthetic HRT. I have been on that board a few times.

Take care of yourself and I hope you can find something to relieve your symptoms.

Have a nice day!!
Betty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2004, 06:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

Hi and welcome back! We've missed you! So sorry you need to be back though. My, you've been through a lot! ((((hugs)))) I don't know anything about HRT but just had to chime in.
Our friend Bonnie Lea has had her own scare with cancer. Thankfully, the news is good for her. She did have it (melanoma) but the surgeon got it all.
I have heard from a friend of mine that it's best not to do HRT when there's thyroid problems or cancer. I don't really know why.
Sorry I couldn't have been more help to you. Maybe if you do a search on HRT and hypothyroidism, you'll find something.
Barb

Old 09-24-2004, 09:11 AM   #4

sheritap HB User

I am sure none of this will help but I will let you know my tricks. But first keep in mind That I had my hyst about 7 years ago and didn't get dx'd with hypo untill this year. For the night sweats I had a PA tell me to take 800 mg of vitamin E. 400 in the am and 400 at bed time. it not only helped with the night sweats but also the leg cramps. But I do not know if that is ok for you to do with hypo. you might ask though.

Last edited by sheritap; 09-24-2004 at 09:13 AM.

Old 09-24-2004, 09:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

Just want to bump you up because I'm curious too.
Barb

Old 09-25-2004, 02:45 AM   #6
(female)

BonBe HB User

Oh Pushka welcome home..... HRT no I have never wished for it. But yes I am also drowning in night sweats. Been menopausal for going on 4 years, but had a 'post menopause bleed' last spring and there was talk of hysterectomy as well, but I got away with out having it done. and all the tests that went out came back fine and dandy, then this malignant melanoma hit me (and I do not hang around in the sun either)

I have increased my synthroid to 75mg now, but did not expect that to stop the night sweats. Gee whiz your summer is soon coming and I hope you have plenty of fans.

I am glad you are ok and have a postive outlook, cancer is so scary isnt it? I had the CT scanning the other day....as they could not perform some lympnode trace, so a CT scan was in order.... DH and I find out more info on the 28th and a course of treatment will be planned out with the oncologists (can you believe I have 4 of them?) hmmmm.

We all will hunt for info regarding HRT and thyroid meds. I am 54 so as far as I am concerned menopause has arrived...but the night sweats pervail....

Bonnie Lea

Old 09-25-2004, 11:23 PM   #7
(female)

pushka HB User

Hi Bosmom and Bonnie
Gosh, melanoma Bonnie! Glad that things are working out for you. Hope that you keep well! It is such a scary thing to go this process, isn't it!

Just curious as to why you never decided on the HRT option though. I wasnt menopausal at all, then with the ovaries gone in 1 day - Kaboom! Flooding sweats, but only at night time. Now I dont know whether to get the thyroid test redone (it is due) or go onto HRT first and then get the thyroid thing done! Im 48 and mum didnt go thru' menopause until she was 53.

The hyster thing wasnt that bad at all! I had much worse problems before the procedure and it was done thru laparascope, so only three small holes. It has taken me five months to get to surgery, because of all the tests and things. Had no pain at all after the surgery. Was home in 3 days and really back to normal except for lifting. I'm only 10 days post op and am waiting on all the path results. Im hoping for worst case of borderline malignancy but the hyster is the recommended treatment for that anyway. And you know, my brain fog seems to be lifting!

Summer - am dreading it already!!!!

Old 09-26-2004, 03:49 AM   #8
(female)

BonBe HB User

well, lets see..... you had ovaries removed hence no goodies from there I have all my bits and pieces still, so the ovaries would be functioning up to a point. With the exception of that post menopause problem last spring, this has been easier to handle. The sweats now are another thing. I am concerned about the big publicity about taking HRT and bone density, and frankly I never have had the need to mention the other little problems to the doctor. All that associated with menopause. This latest thing with my back was and still is bad enuff, enuff to toss out all concerns about hormones that are on permanent retirement.

Go to the menopause board, I am also there at times, and lots of good info but you must read and sift through it.

Bonnie Lea

Closed Thread