It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2004, 05:17 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Question Has anyone used the Barnes Basal Temperature Test?

I found a book called Solved The Riddle Of Illness: Your Amazing Thyroid and How You Can Work With It To Control health problems.

I took my temperature this morning using a digital thermometer. It was 97. It says that anything below 97.8 can be a symptom of hypo.

Also I read in a chapter about a woman that had thyroid tests done because she had hypo symptoms. Her tests were in normal range. It did not say anything about the frees being in the upper range. The doctor had her do the temperature tests. It showed only 1/10th below the temperature of 97.8. She had the symptoms of hypo.

I guess that is before the ranges of freet3 and freet4 were discovered to have to be in the upper range to feel good. That would not be right for everyone though. It depends how you feel.

My FNP asked me if I did the Barnes Basal Temperature test. She must believe in that form of testing.

I am just going to experiment doing that and then show my results to her plus other information before I have to get down on my knees and beg LOL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2004, 08:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
Re: Has anyone used the Barnes Basal Temperature Test?

I have heard the Basal test must be done with a mercury or shake down type thermometer, not sure why. But the most important part of the test is that you take the test immediately upon waking and do not move anymore than you absolutely have to to get the thermometer, movement raises your temp, even lifting your head can skew the result.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2004, 08:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

I take my BBT but I'm not sure I'm using the "Barnes" method. I do do it before getting out of bed, for 10 minutes, with a regular thermometre and it does help me gauge how I'm doing - like right now I know things are working as my BBT is up from 97.4-97.6 of two weeks ago to 98.6-98.9.

Nat

Old 09-24-2004, 08:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Gosh Dea4 I guess I would have to have my husband hand me the thermometer or glue it to the side of my face before I went to bed
Better get me a shake down thermometer. Might as well do it right huh?

Bosmon do you feel better with your temperature at that range? When I wake up I feel chilled then I start sweating. Can't tell if it is from thyroid or estrogen loss. LoL

Old 09-24-2004, 08:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Man I think my bloodpressure med is too strong. I keep making mistakes this morning. I meant Gopherhead not Bosmon. Sorry

Old 09-24-2004, 08:42 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

*lol* Betty, yes, I feel better when my temp is higher. It corresponds to the timing of my meds - I only started taking them but already I feel a big difference.

Nat

Old 09-24-2004, 09:16 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady50
Gosh Dea4 I guess I would have to have my husband hand me the thermometer or glue it to the side of my face before I went to bed
Better get me a shake down thermometer. Might as well do it right huh?
Yep, wouldn't we all look great with thermometers glued to our heads, ha.

Seriously that is what is printed up on the form I have for doing a basal temp, your not to move anymore than necessary to get the thing in your mouth.

Old 09-24-2004, 09:34 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes I believe you Dea, sometimes I like to give people a hard time. Don't take me seriously LOL

Old 09-24-2004, 11:50 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am just going to have to bite my tongue.Now I find something different. Read on the internet( don't know if I can say where) that if the temperature goes lower than 98.6, then you can be hypo.

So what can you believe? The old news or the new.

Betty

Old 09-24-2004, 12:23 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

98.6 is considered average / normal body temp. Your temp does rise and fall throughout the day, it's usually lowest in the morning and highest in the late afternoon. I doubt that reading below 98.6 when you wake up would be considered signs of hypoT, I have heard that a compromised metabolism is one that doesn't get above 97.8 for 3 consecutive days.

Nat

Old 09-24-2004, 12:34 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Yes I believe you Dea, sometimes I like to give people a hard time. Don't take me seriously LOL
I didn't

Quote:
I am just going to have to bite my tongue.Now I find something different. Read on the internet( don't know if I can say where) that if the temperature goes lower than 98.6, then you can be hypo.

So what can you believe? The old news or the new.
Many people tend to run not at exactally 98.6 for a normal temp, some below, some above, so I would think that if the temp were to be more than a degree below, then that would indicate hypo, but just a small amount below could actually be a "normal" temp for some.

Last edited by dea4; 09-24-2004 at 12:35 PM.

Old 09-24-2004, 06:35 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

Hey!

I was thinking I could chime in here. Gopher, you seem to have really picked up on this one. I tried to explain that I was doing to the Doc's assistant the other day, adn found myself explaining some of the same things here. When it comes to the Basla Body temperature its all about TRACKING, not about a check here and there and buying into that one take. If you are normally a cold fish, then that would very worth taking into consideration.

I'm normally a chilly woman, and I take the Basal Body Temp every morning, and I'll bet when the med gets closer to where it ought to be, the Temp will go up. I can't wait for that toasty feeling again.

Old 09-24-2004, 07:06 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

Woops! Silly me.

I forgot to make a point here. There are Basal Body thermometers available in the pharmacies these days. They are digital and they are designed for women who are trying to get pregnant. You can stick it in your mouth, so you don't have to do any of that mad shaking or underarm moves. I keep mine on my nightstand and just reach with one hand and pop it in my mouth while keeping my head on the pillow.

Good luck!

Old 09-24-2004, 08:02 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you Softcrush I just have a digital one. When it is done it just goes
beep beep beep

It has been pretty efficient. I have checked my temperature a few times today and it hasn't gotten over 97.1. Good thing I am not trying to get pregnant huh??? Ha! Not at 51 no way

Old 09-25-2004, 04:04 PM   #15

siucra HB User

I do the BBT every morning. I was told to use a mercury thermometer and to put it under my armpit on wakening for 10 mins and not to move for that duration. The range to aim for is 97.8 - 98.2 (36.6 - 36.8 Celsius) and it's also an indicator of how your day is going to be if it's low. And it is, those days are BAD days! It's a good idea to write down your temperature every morning.
According to the powers that be this is a more precise way of measuring your basal (resting) body temperature - to assess the metabolic function that is free to the patient, they say a digital thermometer is not as accurate. It's called the Barnes test after Broda Barnes MD.

Closed Thread