It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2004, 09:35 AM   #1

mammalama HB User
questions about low TSH and poss hypopituitarism

Hello, I am new to this board and was hoping someone could help me about a question I have. My TSH was 0.06 but my T3 and T4 were within normal limits (I do not have the exact results in front of me). I have had several symptoms that makes my physician suspect a possible pituitary tumor. Has anyone experienced this before? I have an MRI scheduled on the 29th. I wish it were sooner because the headaches will not go away (and neither the ear pressure).

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited by mammalama; 09-24-2004 at 01:28 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2004, 10:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
Re: questions about TSH

"within normal limits" doesn't mean much. Do you have the actual results and the lab ranges?

If they are low-normal, I would suspect pituitary or hypothalamus problems. and would start treatment for hypothyroidism while seeing what else might be low.

If they are high-normal, I would suspect hyperthyroidism and would start testing thyroid antibodies and consider a thyroid scan.

If they are at the middle of the range, I would say that you don't likely have a thyroid problem at the present, but that it might warrant getting antibody tests done and watching the other levels for a while, in light of your symptoms.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2004, 12:39 PM   #3

mammalama HB User

I received my values:

T3 Uptake 25.7 (22.0 to 37.0)
T7 2.36 (1.20 to 3.22)
T4 9.2 (3.8 to 12.0)
TSH 0.06 (0.34 to 4.82)

As you can see they are pretty normal except the TSH. Does anyone have any experience with hypopituitarism? I definately exhibit hypothyroid symptoms but I do think my physician thinks my pituitary is not functioning well for some reason. I am confused about the whole thing! I have felt bad for so long...

Old 09-24-2004, 03:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

K9Mom HB User

If it turns out that you do have a pituitary tumor, I recommend that you look into more info on pit tumors at [url]http://www.pituitary.org[/url]. They are a great resource. (My sister had a pit tumor removed last year - and her headaches went away immediately!)

Old 09-27-2004, 11:39 AM   #5

mammalama HB User

Thanks so much for telling me about your sister. Personally, I hope my MRI shows that I have one...I know that sounds awful but at least it would explain the headaches and all of the other symptoms I have had for years. I know that if it is a tumor it can be fixed. If nothing is there then what?

I guess I will find out soon. Thanks again!!

Old 09-28-2004, 03:07 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

I know that you get headaches being hyper and hypo. I have had both.

Closed Thread