It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2004, 10:12 AM   #1
(female)

yjeffers HB User
New and confused! Low TSH

My gyno ran some tests on me and one happened to be the TSH. I finally got the results of the TSH today and it is 0.976. The lab range is 0.4 to 6. This seems really strange because I have most of the symptoms for being hypo: unable to lose weight, constipation, low body temperature, tired, hair falling out, very dry skin, puffing eyes, irregular preiods, etc. I could go on forever. Could someone help me figure this one out?

Old 09-24-2004, 11:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User
Re: New and confused! Low TSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjeffers
I finally got the results of the TSH today and it is 0.976. The lab range is 0.4 to 6. This seems really strange because I have most of the symptoms for being hypo: unable to lose weight, constipation, low body temperature, tired, hair falling out, very dry skin, puffing eyes, irregular preiods, etc. I could go on forever. Could someone help me figure this one out?
Did you have any other tests dones? TSH is usually the first run, but when diagnosing thyroid disease it's not the final word. You need to have your actual thyroid hormones tested (TSH is a test for a pituitary homrone called Thyroid Stimulating Hormone). Unless you know what your Free T4 and Free T3 (the two thyroid hormones) levels are you can't be sure what's really going on.

BTW, your TSH isn't 'low' it looks average - as in this is the range where most people who have no thyroid problems find themselves. There is something else to consider - when was your blood drawn? TSH can fluctuate by as much as 3 points over the course of the day. An afternoon TSH could be 1 where as a morning test could be 4. (which would make you hypo) Also, the range that lab is using is old and outdated; the American Assoc. of Clinical Endo has suggested it be revised to .3-2.5 and anyone with a TSH over 2 with symptoms merits a trial of synthetic replacement hormone. So if your test was drawn in the afternoon it could be higher than .9.

Nat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2004, 12:07 PM   #3
(female)

yjeffers HB User

The TSH is the only test that was done. I am going to request more to be sure of what is going on. By the way the test was done first thing in the morning, fasting, becuase they were checking glucose and insulin. The thing that is so strange is two years ago I had a total thyroid panel done and the results were as follows:

Total 4 10.7 range was 4.5 - 10.9
T-Uptake 23.6 range was 24.0-39.0
Free Thyroxine Index 2.5 range was 1.4 - 3.1
TSH 3.89 range was 0.35 - 5.50

Could my TSH level have changed so much in two years when my hypo symptoms have gotten worse?

Thanks for your help.

Old 09-24-2004, 12:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Ack, Why do doctors insist on doing outdate thyroid panels? Those tests don't tell you much. Your T4 is high, as is your TSH - I'd be interested in knowing what your FT4 and FT3 were.

Are you being treated for hypo (on meds) because of your tests two years ago?

Yes, your TSH could have changed that much - mine has changed more than that in less than a year. I am wondering if you could be dealing with an adrenal problem, the symptoms are often quite similar. There is a post called the Adrenal / Thyroid connection about 1/2 way down the first page of posts that might help you.

I would ask my doc to run some more tests - FT4, FT3, and the antibodies to tell if you're dealing with the autoimmune type of thyroid disease. At least you'd be able to rule it out if they come back OK (OK, not "normal" - make sure you get the numbers and the ranges for all thyroid tests).

Nat

Old 09-24-2004, 12:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

It could be that your thyroid hormones are low even though your TSH looks fine. The TSH is secreted by the pituitary gland, so it could just be that your pituitary doesn't know what it's doing and isn't secreting enough TSH to get your thyroid to produce what it should be. In order to really find out what is going on they need to test the free T3 and free T4 to see how the thyroid is responding to the pituitary, not just what the pituitary is doing.

Old 09-24-2004, 06:31 PM   #6
(female)

yjeffers HB User

Thanks for the replies. I would rather see an endocrinologist, but my gynecologist won't refer me to one b/c my TSH came back normal. I think I have to start at the bottom again and go see a general practictioner and hope he or she will refer me to an endo. If anybody else has some input to my situation, I would greatly appreciate it. I guess I should tell you that the drs diagnosed me as PCOS when i was 15, but the blood test now don't show any signs of it. So I am really confused bc all these years (I am 26 now) i thought I had PCOS and when I think I have my problem narrowed down to being hypo, that comes back normal.

Old 09-24-2004, 07:06 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjeffers
Thanks for the replies. I would rather see an endocrinologist, but my gynecologist won't refer me to one b/c my TSH came back normal. I think I have to start at the bottom again and go see a general practictioner and hope he or she will refer me to an endo. If anybody else has some input to my situation, I would greatly appreciate it. I guess I should tell you that the drs diagnosed me as PCOS when i was 15, but the blood test now don't show any signs of it. So I am really confused bc all these years (I am 26 now) i thought I had PCOS and when I think I have my problem narrowed down to being hypo, that comes back normal.
I just wanted to say that it is a good thing the Md is not going just by my tsh because my freet4 shows that I am hypo. It is all so confusing but I have learned much from this board. If I could just get my MD to listen to me, I would have it made. Some are rather stubborn headed.

Betty

Old 09-24-2004, 07:48 PM   #8
(female)

yjeffers HB User

Lady50, what were your TSH and T4 levels?

Old 09-25-2004, 05:24 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Yjeffers, go through the information archive, you'l find posts on how to interview potential doctors so you don't waste your time - you want ones who treat based on Free T levels and not just TSH and if you can find one who prescribes Armour instead of just Synthroid you know you've found an enlightend one. This can save you wasting time going to see more doctors who don't know enought to know they don't know enough, you know?

Nat

Old 09-26-2004, 01:09 PM   #10

banjomama HB User

Hi yjfeffers...

You mention having PCOS. I have it to. Diagnosed about 15yrs ago. It's probably why they checked your glucose level, as we tend to be insulin resistant and high risk for diabetes. Unfortunately hypo is also something many of us end up as well. My TSH results 2 yrs ago were also fine and now, with their normal range being 0.4-4.0, I'm at 4.81 and have my first endo appointment this week to start treatment. Bottom line is, looks like you and I have a lot in common!

My gyno immediately referred me off to the endo because of my results. I wish yours was more with it, for goodness sake. Let us know how it all turns out!

marie

Old 09-26-2004, 04:29 PM   #11
(female)

yjeffers HB User

Marie,

I wish it were so simple. Because my TSH was measured at 0.976 just this past week, ny dr will nto refer me to an endo. I don't even see how that number is correct being that it was 3.89 2 years ago. My symptoms have only gotten worse. I am going to make an appointment with my family dr in the morning and request that my entire thyroid panel be tested. I'm not even sure that I ahve PCOS anymore because all my hormones have come back normal, including my glucose, insulin, and prolactin.

Old 09-26-2004, 05:25 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Hi I just noticed that you asked me the other day what my levels are. Well my FNP has my copy. My tsh was okay and my freet4( they only do the freet4 goshdarnet) was a little below the middle range.

I just don't feel very energetic and I am depressed eeeeek!! I would say my free levels need to be higher to feel good. My FNP said that they were alright but I tried to explain to her that I don't have energy and I am depressed.

She asked me if I had been checking my temperature and said to come back for more bloodtests. It has been the same old thing since July of this year. Come back for more bloodtests.

I had graves disease and took the RAI to kill my thyroid. I became hypo in July but my dumb doctor would not give me any t4 supplement to make me feel better. Some docs just don't care and are lazy. Excuse me for being so irratic but I guess my moodswings are bad.

Good luck to you

Old 09-29-2004, 08:36 PM   #13

smylenethy HB User

hi i also get confused i am new with these test. my tsh is 190. i can't figure out how that is low when it is a large number. the endo told me my thyriod stopped working completey. i do reading on this and wonder how long i had this problem. i have had alot of these sytptoms since i got my period at age10. is that commen in us women to get our periods early in life? and bad cramps ? hard to get pregnant?no energy
i just had a baby in may. with her i went into preterm labor at 26 weeks, and stayed on bedrest for 3 months. i had her 5 weeks early. the doctor did alot of test but never checked my thyriod . just 2 months ago they checked my thyriod becuz i thought i was having the blues. anyways i am on 100mcg of synthyriod and they put me on effeor for depression . i just keep wondering when i will have energy back? also i was wondering if pco"s is conected to this also. when i was prgnant i had diabetis and the doctors thought i might have pco and they are not going to do anything about that until thyriod is straighten out. is there anyone who has had a tsh level like mine? i would like to hear if things got any better for them.

Old 09-30-2004, 06:34 AM   #14

dogtired HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smylenethy
hi i also get confused i am new with these test. my tsh is 190. i can't figure out how that is low when it is a large number. the endo told me my thyriod stopped working completey. i do reading on this and wonder how long i had this problem. i have had alot of these sytptoms since i got my period at age10. is that commen in us women to get our periods early in life? and bad cramps ? hard to get pregnant?no energy
i just had a baby in may. with her i went into preterm labor at 26 weeks, and stayed on bedrest for 3 months. i had her 5 weeks early. the doctor did alot of test but never checked my thyriod . just 2 months ago they checked my thyriod becuz i thought i was having the blues. anyways i am on 100mcg of synthyriod and they put me on effeor for depression . i just keep wondering when i will have energy back? also i was wondering if pco"s is conected to this also. when i was prgnant i had diabetis and the doctors thought i might have pco and they are not going to do anything about that until thyriod is straighten out. is there anyone who has had a tsh level like mine? i would like to hear if things got any better for them.
symlenethy
Just remember High TSH=hypo Low TSH=hyper. Wow your's was very high.
It will probably take some time for your levels to stabilize after meds and
for you to feel better.I'm sure there is a connection between your thyroid
and your pco since your thyroid/pituitary controls all your hormones.And your pco is related to your gestational diabetes and your early delivery since you're
not producing progesterone which is the main hormone that supports the
placenta during pregnancy.You could have had thyroid problems before
your pregnancy or your pregnancy could cause your thyroid to malfunction. Pco can cause infertility again b/c you don't have enough progesterone.. LH
and FSH also play a role(Immediately before ovulation, the follicle begins secreting estrogen and progesterone.) to tell the ovarian follicle to release the egg therefore you have what is called anovulatoy cycles. Once they get your thyroid under control have them check your hormones and do a transvaginal ultrasound to see if your ovaries
are enlarged with numerous cysts(some women with pco don't have a lot of cysts it can vary but the ovaries are usually always over 3 cm) Women with pco have high testosterone levels and they are at a higher risk for diabetes/insulin resistance.Good luck to you and congrats on the new baby!

Last edited by dogtired; 10-05-2004 at 08:21 AM.

Closed Thread