It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2004, 01:36 PM   #1
Inactive

crazyabout blue HB User
My mom needs advice...

Her doctor said that her thyroid level is at borderline. She has been feeling sluggish, no energy. What can she do to help her feel energize besides exercise and eating nurtiental food. Her doctor didnt say anything else.

Are there any herbal or vitamins she should take?

Thank you!

Old 09-24-2004, 04:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: My mom needs advice...

My doctor told me my thyroid tests were okay but he lied. I got copies of them and he wrote okay on it. I am hypothyroid. Not saying that every doctor will do that but mine did.

Maybe she would feel better if she had a small dose of thyroid supplement.It sounds like she is definitely not feeling good.That is how I feel and my doctor said my tests were okay. I am seeing an FNP and hopefully she will give me some meds. I will just have to tell her that I am not feeling good. My tsh is fine but my freet4 is a little low.

I have learned from other people on these boards that most people feel better when the ft4 is in the upper 1/3 of the range. That is where mine needs to be to make me feel better.

This probably didn't help you too much. I am sure it saddens you to see your mother not feeling good. Someone else here will have some more advice.

Take care
Betty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2004, 05:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyabout blue
Her doctor said that her thyroid level is at borderline. She has been feeling sluggish, no energy. What can she do to help her feel energize besides exercise and eating nurtiental food. Her doctor didnt say anything else.
Blue "borderline" is like "normal" when it comes to thyroid - it doesn't exist. It's likely your moms doctor only tested her TSH levels (usually the first course of action) and they came back "borderline" - well most labs are using old antiquated ranges these days. You need to know what her actual test score was and what the range the lab was using was (most ranges look something like .4-5.5). The Amercian Associtation of Clinical Endos has recently suggested that the range for TSH be changed to .3-2.5 and that anyone with a TSH of 2 or higher with symptoms be given a trial dose of synthetic T4.

If she or the doctor suspect there might be a problem with thyroid fucntion the next course should be to test actual thyroid homrones (TSH is a pituitary hormone). YOu want these tests: Free T4, Free T3 and antibodies (to rule out autoimmune thyroid disease). Both FT4 and FT3 levels should be in the upper part of the range, this is where women feel best. For example, my TSH is just above the 'range' and my FT4 is in the range but low, near the bottom, and I am hypoT. Just a few weeks of treatment has helped me immensely - but finding a doctor who believed me was not easy. You'll find this is often the case. Doctors just don't seem to have caught on when it comes to Thyroid.

If you look through the information archive on the board you'll find posts on how to find good doctors, which books you should read, what supplements can help and which foods to avoid. It would be a good place to start.

Nat

Old 09-26-2004, 09:43 PM   #4
(male)

Todd D. HB User

I was wondering since the normal range of TSH was changed in early 2003, why isn't these made known to all the doctor's offices and labs throughout the world?

Also, how comes it seems that just about every lab has a different normal range for Free T3? Cause I've been reading various threads in here, and there have been a lot of different normal ranges posted for Free T3.

Old 09-27-2004, 04:32 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

I know it is just a big mess isn't it? Some doctors do not know much about the thyroid. Seems like some do not even want to learn the new changes. That is why we have to take charge of our own health. We have to print out things such as the NACB Guidelines so the doctors know where are levels have to be to feel good.

If you can find one that cares and will listen and see what information you have found, then you have a great doctor. One that you should hang on to.

I don't understand why every lab has a different value either. It is just a big mess. I hope you can find some answers to your questions.

On my last bloodtests my tsh is normal but my ft4 shows low. One nurse said I was hypo and another one said it was okay. Then I say "well why did the other nurse say I was hypo?" There was no comment after that.

The nurse that said I was hypo, was at the docs office I use to go to. She was trying to tell me in her own way to find another doctor that will listen.

I hope someone can help you with your questions.

Remember knowledge is power.

Closed Thread