It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2004, 08:11 PM   #1

~mizbrat~ HB User
Arrow Gday new member.. no clue here...

I just joined the boards today asi found out i have HYPOTHYROIDISM now i really know nothing about this at all.

The only info she really gave me today was that the normal number for TSH is 5 and that i am at 40.7 can someone explain some more about this?? I feel kinda dumb.. lol

HELP!!!....

Old 09-25-2004, 04:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User
Re: Gday new member.. no clue here...

Hello lm still newish l have hyperthyroidism lots of people in the 'know' here will offer you some great advice!! Welcome!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2004, 08:02 PM   #3

~mizbrat~ HB User

thank you for the welcome.. i was wondering if anyone would answer me lots of people have viewed my post and only the 1 answer is this common.. im very lost on this whole thing and i dont know where to get help :-(

Old 09-26-2004, 08:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

Hi and welcome! Sorry you had to join us because that obviously means you're not feeling your best. I also apologize for not answering your post sooner.
The TSH ranges vary from lab to lab. The range to go by is the one suggested by the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists. It states that the range should be .3 to 3. So obviously, you are hypothyroid.
Has the doctor put you on medication yet?
What you'll be taking is a synthetic hormone called t4. You'll probably be put on the Synthroid or Levoxyl brand. These are natural synthetics (made in a lab). It's nothing that your body doesn't already have. Nothing to worry about. You'll most likely be taking it for the rest of your life.
Your doctor will start you out on a rather low dose and gradually increase it as needed. It can take up to six weeks to get fully into your system so don't get discouraged if it doesn't make you feel better right away. You may or may not feel a bit worse at first. Don't get discouraged. Your body will go through an adjustment phase as it will have to get used to getting something it had to compensate for in the past.
Take a look at the information archive sticky at the top of the page. There's lots of good information there. Do a seach for American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists. There's a lot of information there.
Good luck to you and again, welcome!
Barb

Old 09-26-2004, 08:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

Forgot to add this. Ask your doctor to do a full thyroid panel including FREE t3 (not to be confused with TOTAL t3 which is a virtually useless test)), FREE t4 and antibodies tests. This will give a better picture of what's going on with your thyroid.
BTW, TSH is a hormone put out by your pituitary gland to "kickstart" your thyroid. It really doesn't tell much about what your thyroid is doing. That's why you need those other tests I mentioned as well.
Barb

Old 09-27-2004, 06:20 AM   #6
Veteran

west end girl HB User

Welcome ~mizbrat~

Old 06-18-2007, 11:25 PM   #7
(female)

lyne128 HB User

Barb:

i am new here and i just want to know how to get access to the information archive? I was looking around at the top of the page, but I could not find it, can you help me? tks
grace

Old 06-19-2007, 09:33 AM   #8
(female)

Calore HB User

Lyne
Just click where it says information archive ( press on the two words with the cursor) and it will open. There are pages and pages and pages.
Also, you can post questions and learn lots.
Good luck
Carol

Old 06-19-2007, 10:30 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

You won't find the Information Archive on this page. You have to go to the subject page where all the threads are listed. It's the very first thread at the top of the list. Hope that helped.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:28 AM   #10
(female)

Calore HB User

MidWest. Can we do a search for a certain topic/s in the archives or one just have to sift through?
thanks
Carol

Closed Thread