It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2004, 10:29 AM   #1

judie HB User
Question New here..post of labs n a ?? Thanks 4 any info

Hello to all!!
Years ago I was told I had "borderline hypo..".. Then about 5 years ago diagnosed w chronic fatigue..
Went to M.D. yesterday bringing info,,articles n such..I have numerous symptoms of hypothyroidism..She was dismissive..putting it mildly n she was the one who asked me to do the research she now "didn't have time to look at"..(I"ll be On to the next M.D. in any case..)

My labs are..
T4 1.1.. .. Range..0.8-1.8 ng/dl
T4 total 6.7.. 4.5-12.0 ug/dl
tsh w/free t4 rfx .99.... 0.40-5.50 miu/L
T3 uptake..35.0...... 27.8-40.7 percent
t4 free uncalculated 2.35 ..... 1.53-3.85units
t3 total 111 ..... 60-181 ng/dl

I'd thought the 2.35 was the "tell" number. I had an article that said above 2.0 treatment recommended.. She says the .99 is the "tell" and 2.35 wouldn't warrant treatment anyway.. I'm not a Doctor and don't want to take what I don't need..but I am confused ....as I was told hypo was a "potential issue" 5 years ago....

After a long wait she came in with her DX.."You might have chronic fatigue" Hello! I'd already told her that 5 months earlier,,that I already had that DX..

She said she needed to run more tests n if they could figure how I got the CFS..then they could treat it..((this is news to me..n though this is off topic..what do others think of that??)..She wouldn't even give a perscription for B vitamins..which is the only vitamin my insurance covers.. When she went to give me the bill, I told her I wasn't going to hand over a co-pay as I'd just spent the previous day researching n my morning trying to educate her.(when I could get her attention from what she was doing on the computer .I thought, but didn't say..). She didn't have time to answer my
??s on perimenopause or what my Uncle has been dx..ed with Louie Bodie's (spelling?) disease. What my Uncle has is hereditary n like a combo of having both Alzhiemer's n Parkinson's...(That concerns me a bit, I'll say)

Frustrating!!! (Understatement).. I'd said "Right now, I'm just as interested in whatever I can do to treat symptoms..as in what this actually is.". Which is the truth. I want to get back to living my life..Well,, I won't be seeing her again..(As Donald Trump says "You're Fired" ..w accompanying lil hand thing too)The question I ask here is:.about my labs????? (any info advice much aprreciated!!!) If hypo is not what I have..Ok..still I'm curious about the 5 year ago a "lil low" my Dr. said..And my symptoms do match hpyo but if that is not what I have, I'll keep researching.. I cannot interpert labs..and ask for help w that here!!
I think this is a wonderful board..I've read some of the bios/stories written..n see alot of knowledge n cariing here..
Thanks to all in advance...Judie

Last edited by judie; 09-25-2004 at 10:54 AM. Reason: typos

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2004, 10:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User
Re: New here..post of labs n a ?? Thanks 4 any info

Quote:
Originally Posted by judie
My labs are..T4 1.1..t4 total 6.7..tsh w/free t4 rfx .99....t3 uptake..t4 free uncalculated 2.35 ..t3 total 111
Judie do you have the ranges for these results? They don't mean much w/o a reference, unfortunately. I can tell you that women feel best when their Free Ts are in the upper part of the lab range and that if they aren't you can feel just awful (I can attest to this from personal experience!)

I would highly advise you to fire her - sounds like you're well on your way to doing just that Naturopaths and osteopaths tend to be better at diagnosing and treating thyroid problems - they look at symptoms instead of bowing to the holy lab report.

BTW, there is no Dr in your name that I can see - usually if you register with something like that it is edited because you are not allowed to post that you are a doctor of have any medical training on these boards as they are peer only (you might want to edit your above post). The rule for posting are up atop the page.

Nat

Last edited by Gopherhead; 09-25-2004 at 10:37 AM.

Old 09-25-2004, 12:11 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

annemv HB User

Just a little info... After over a year of research trying to figure out what has been wrong with me, it seems that a LOT of people are dx with chronic fatigue when it is actually a thyroid problem. I am new to all of this, but I do know that I have been to 16 drs and many of them are useless! So, my suggestion to you is to not waste time or $$, this is your life and dony let them ruin it any longer.
Find a new doc!
Good luck!!

Old 09-25-2004, 12:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Hi Annemv,

I agree with you 100%. If I had the money I would treat myself. Heck with the doctors. They think they know everything.

Betty

Old 09-25-2004, 02:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by judie
My labs are..
T4 1.1.. .. Range..0.8-1.8 ng/dl
T4 total 6.7.. 4.5-12.0 ug/dl
tsh w/free t4 rfx .99.... 0.40-5.50 miu/L
T3 uptake..35.0...... 27.8-40.7 percent
t4 free uncalculated 2.35 ..... 1.53-3.85units
t3 total 111 ..... 60-181 ng/dl
*lol* Judie, you edited your first post so I almost missed this (editing doesn't show up as a new post)

Both your T4 are low (is the first free T4?) Regadless, both are low, you'd feel better if they were in the upper 3rd of the range, above 1.3 for the first and above 8.25 for the second. Your total T3 is also low (a FT3 would have been nice, but doctors rarely do the right tests )

While your TSH is not abnormal (I hesitate to use the term normal) it obviously is not normal for you. Your symptoms and your actual thyroid hormones merit a trial of replacement therapy - as I said earlier, a naturopath or osteopath would be your best bet.

Nat

Closed Thread