It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2004, 05:43 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User
Unhappy my thyroid hurts!!!

Hi, just wondering why my thyroid hurts? All of a sudden it seems my thyroid started to be very painful. I had a little ear pain earlier but I dont know if it's b/c of that or not. It hurts to swallow, it hurts to talk, it hurts to move my tongue around, it hurts to touch there, it's a little bit harder to breathe.

I am taking just 10mg of tapazole (generic) to prepare for surgery.

Why does it hurt???

thanks

April

Old 09-29-2004, 06:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: my thyroid hurts!!!

April from what you are saying I believe you have a goiter. I had the same thing with graves. Mine was swollen for quite some time. I don't know what you could do accept to call your doctor about it they may be able to give you something for the inflammation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2004, 06:13 AM   #3
Veteran

west end girl HB User

Sorry to hear your feeling poorly
Sending you big hugs {{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}

It is thyroid surgery you are having yes ? ( mine DID seem to hurt before my operation)

Before I had my surgery ( in May ) I was so terrified my thyroid was gonna get worse
so I think I kinda imagined it felt worse ( the pain ) than it did ( PLEASE don't think I'm saying you
are the same ) if i even knocked my neck ( EVEN with my clothing) I was terrified
After my surgery that feeling went away

Please don't think i'm saying you are making it up i just wanted you to know my story
& know I'm thinking of you and I UNDERSTAND 100%

Sara xx

Old 09-30-2004, 06:27 AM   #4

candylanell HB User

mine has been hurting also, I asked the np about it, she said it was because I had a goiter, and that the swelling and pain should go down after I got on my meds for awhile...hth
Candy

Old 09-30-2004, 06:34 AM   #5

crash87 HB User

Before my surgery, I had difficulty swallowing and a "full" feeling in my throat. When my thyroid was removed, I was told it was over twice the size of a normal thyroid. This may the cause of your pain. But with ear pain also, you don't want to rule out an infection of some sort, and that would probably need to be taken care of before your surgery.

Old 09-30-2004, 06:45 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

When I went to the docs in (I think it was!) August, he said my thyroid was twice it's size. But I can't say it really bothered me. I honestly didn't feel a difference.

I looked at my neck this morning (it still hurts but not as bad as last night!)
I can see the right side is sticking out more. If I had to say one side hurt more than the other it would be the right.

I've only been on meds for about 3 weeks now? Something like that!

Well, at least I know it doesn't just happen to me. Thanks everyone!

Sara- don't worry, I get what you are saying!

April

Old 09-30-2004, 08:10 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Hi April,
How are you feeling today? I forgot to tell you. Don't want to scare you but I have read that the goiter can swell up so much that you won't be able to breath.

That never happened to me though. Mine was swollen for a long time. I had trouble breathing.

Old 09-30-2004, 08:33 AM   #8
Veteran

west end girl HB User

April , mine was just the same before I had it ( one half ) removed . I also found if I had to do a lot ( moving about etc) the right hand side of my thyroid would feel bigger and hurt more .. and it was always worse last thing at night .. and seemed smaller in the mornings when I was more relaxed .

When are you due for surgery ?

( glad you understand what I meant would
NEVER wanna make you ( OR anyone ) upset etc ... )

Sara xx

Closed Thread