It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2004, 10:02 PM   #1

Gazun HB User
Smile Sugar and thyroid connection?

I've been seeing a Naturopathic for about 6 months. After going through quite a few years of jumping from one doctor (MD) to another, I finally found someone to listen to my suspicions of food sensitivities. After blood tests, I am now avoiding wheat, gluten, dairy, eggs, nuts and caffeine. My latest blood tests still show a borderline anemia problem and a TSH level of 2.56 which I know is not very high compared to many people. My Naturopath wants to run an antibodies test. He suspects an autoimmune problem with my thyroid. He said I have other symptoms that point to hypothyroidism - cold hands and feet, dry skin, hair loss, fatigue... Two things I can't seem to get an answer about are: 1. Is there any connection with sugar and a very stiff neck with thyroid problems? 2. Any connection to my hands and feet swelling after exercising with thyroid problems? I think I'm eating the right way, but I'm not completely avoiding sugar. I'm currently taking supplements for GI repair, acedophalus(?), Calcarca carbonica, stress vitamins and an iron tonic. I've also had off-and-on severe stiffness in my hips.
(I'm a 45-year old female)
Thanks for your time.

Old 10-01-2004, 06:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: Sugar and thyroid connection?

Just bumping you up so you won't get lost as the new threads keep coming in.I will let the experts answer your questions. Welcome

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2004, 09:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazun
I've been seeing a Naturopathic for about 6 months. After going through quite a few years of jumping from one doctor (MD) to another, I finally found someone to listen to my suspicions of food sensitivities. After blood tests, I am now avoiding wheat, gluten, dairy, eggs, nuts and caffeine. My latest blood tests still show a borderline anemia problem and a TSH level of 2.56 which I know is not very high compared to many people. My Naturopath wants to run an antibodies test. He suspects an autoimmune problem with my thyroid. He said I have other symptoms that point to hypothyroidism - cold hands and feet, dry skin, hair loss, fatigue... Two things I can't seem to get an answer about are: 1. Is there any connection with sugar and a very stiff neck with thyroid problems? 2. Any connection to my hands and feet swelling after exercising with thyroid problems? I think I'm eating the right way, but I'm not completely avoiding sugar. I'm currently taking supplements for GI repair, acedophalus(?), Calcarca carbonica, stress vitamins and an iron tonic. I've also had off-and-on severe stiffness in my hips.
(I'm a 45-year old female)
Thanks for your time.
It might be that hypoT is your primary problem. Allergies and sensitivities go hand in hand with low thyroid function, as frequently does a stiff neck. I'm not sure how sugar consumption might affect that, but I doubt it does in a significant way. Your muscles are deficient in thyroid hormone, and that's what causes the stiffness.
Swelling of extremities also is a low thyroid symptom. You can find a comprehensive list of signs and symptoms in our "Information Archive" sticky thread at the top of the thread title page.

The level of TSH isn't what determines how severe the problem is. You may be sicker at 2.56 than the next person is at 5.56 or even at 15.56.... What matters are the levels of the free thyroid hormones and the amount of time your body has been in short supply of them.

If your naturopath is very competent, he'll prescribe Armour for you very soon. You appear to need it.
Let us know how it goes...

Old 10-01-2004, 01:49 PM   #4

siucra HB User

Hi,

I'm on a diet similar to yours: free from- wheat, yeast, gluten, dairy, beef, sugar, nuts, most fruits. I don't know if I have any intolerence or allergies but I do have a yeast overgrowth and this is apparently the way to go about resetting the balance in the gut. Most of the above contain sugar in some format or other and this feeds the yeast. Hopefully after 4 weeks of this I can reintroduce most foods back, and if there is no adverse reaction I can include it in my daily diet.

It's not all that bad, vodka or gin is permitted - AND the weight is beginning to shift.

Old 10-01-2004, 02:22 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

Gazun:

Perhaps this will lend some insight here. At least this is what happened in my case.

I just so happened to get glucose readings with a couple of labs done in the past. When I was severe Hypo-T, the glucose was high off the charts, and when I was my regular happy self, the glucose was comfortably in within range. When the glucose was up...I was fatter, and when it was with in range I was naturally skinnier.

In colcusion, I would say one's bod has a lower tolerance for sugar intake (including carbs when they are hypo-T). This is why Thyroid patients often have weight issues, and why heavier folks should get their thyroid checked when they diet, but can't seem to lose weight.

I also think it lends merit to the whole low carb craze.

~S

Old 10-01-2004, 07:41 PM   #6

Gazun HB User

Hi, Everyone -
Thanks so much for sharing with me! I just printed out your checklist and I can't believe how many complaints I've been telling all these doctors are on the list. The last MD wanted to put me on pain medication for my joint pain. That was the last time I saw him.
I'm going to add sugar to my list of foods to avoid and see if it makes a difference in my hips. When I did an elimination diet when I was testing for foods I noticed that during the introduction phase, my first indication of sensitivity was a stiff neck. I thought I identified all the foods, but I didn't realize the impact sugar could make. Fortunately, I don't have much of a sweet tooth so avoiding the obvious sweets is nota problem, but I will pay closer attention to the "hidden" sugar in foods. I'm seeing another M.D. next week and back to my naturopath in November when he wants to run the antibody test. I'll let you know how things go. Meanwhile, I'll keep reading and maybe I can be on the "advice" side for someone else soon.
Thanks SO much!

Closed Thread