It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2004, 08:52 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User
Orange feet and thyroid connection

I have just read some ladys post and she mentioned orange feet could anybody tell me about the thyroid connection with ornage feet please. Strange one because last week l noticed my little girls feet where orange and we were joking about it! Do you think l have anything to look into? My daughter has had 2 'seizure' type epsiodes in a year and is been investigated she also looses hair (long tied up maybe thats why it comes out?) dark hair but l have found the odd grey hair( maybe pigment related with been darkhaired?)poor eater etc............ related? The orange feet got me thinking cheers all have a gud weekend x

Old 10-08-2004, 09:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User
Re: Orange feet and thyroid connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by niecsey
I have just read some ladys post and she mentioned orange feet could anybody tell me about the thyroid connection with ornage feet please.
Hiyah Niecsey I've read about the yellow/orange skin connection and thyroid but I was curious when I read your post to find out just WHAT was going on... here's what I found.

We all know the thyroid controls metabolism and metabolism gets messed up when thyroid function falters. What is happening here is metabolism of vitamin A is being affected causing carotenemia - yellow and oranging of the skin, it is especially noticeable in the palms of the hand and soles of the feet. Carotenemia it typically associated with eating too many foods high in beta carotene, such as carrots, pumpkin, squash, spinach and sweet potato - it tends to be a problem with children because they are often fed these as prepared infant foods (cooking the beta carotene makes it more easily absorbed).

In rare cases, a genetic defect in carotene metabolism may also be a cause of carotenaemia, without requiring excessive intake of carotene.

So if your daughter is eating a lot of these foods this could be the cause, and not hypoT.

Nat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2004, 09:40 AM   #3
Inactive

hypodude HB User

Ny Brother's little girl's tip of her nose, ear lobes and other parts turned orange too from the baby food....its loaded with beta carotene....not a big deal other than the discoloration. Many babies get like that. Im assuming your little girl is probably still on baby food? The jarred food even though it says something like "Chicken Dinner" is all set in a vegetable base, with lots of carrots...read the ingredients on her favorite foods.

I have a 14 month old...know the deal first hand as well...

More than likely its just a little too many carrots...not a big deal...not dangerous and color will come back to normal after a few days off the carrots.

Old 10-08-2004, 03:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanx guys x no she doesnt eat lots of 'carroty things' and shes nearly 9 years old!!! I just thought l would mention it to see what people had to say about thyroid and orange soles cheers guys early night for me feel rotten have a gud weekend xx

Old 10-08-2004, 03:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Night Niecsey, hope you're feeling better - Happy Thanksgiving

Old 10-09-2004, 07:18 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Happy thanks giving to you too!! felt great this morning until the wooziness started (new post l just made) now l feel off balance and yucky darn tablets! LOL Now if it was a large vodka and coke made me feel off balance l would be happy! LOL have a nice weekend xx

Old 10-09-2004, 08:08 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Niecsey, maybe the vodka and coke might help make you rebalanced? I'm only half kidding, really. During the height of my dizzy spells and nausea I found out quite by accident ( I simply do not drink) that a glass of red wine made me feel almost normal - I was not medicated at the time and the fatigue and diziness were very bad. It was truly bizarre.

Hang in there.

Old 10-09-2004, 08:10 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

OOOh! vodka and coke. That sounds pretty good. I bet it would help with depression for a little while anyway.HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Old 10-09-2004, 11:32 AM   #9
Inactive

puton10 HB User

Just curious: Is it dangerous to drink while on Armour?

Old 10-09-2004, 11:45 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

I wish I could help you. I am presently not on Armour or synthroid etc.
Heck!!I use to drink when I took synthroid a few years ago before graves.

Gee!! Maybe that is how I got graves. Just kidding

Old 10-09-2004, 01:32 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

HAHAHAHA!! you lot are great! I did ask the doc 2months ago if l could have a 'few' as it was my birthday (old lol) and he said no reason why not I was NOT on BETA BLOCKERS then you SHOULD NOT drink alcohol whilst taking these at all and to be double sue about my PTU l asked the pharmist too and it was fine as is also the thyroxine l wouldnt care my mam bought me a large bottle of vodka back from her holidays lol (duty free)l just dont feel like a drink at mo and my lovely lady lm not feeling depressed just get ****** off lol (love the boards they let you say that lol ) anyhow when l do fancy a little drinkies lve had a few glasses of the alcohol type pop drinks only a few mind you so come on then whose having a few tonight? LOL xxx

Closed Thread