It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2004, 11:41 PM   #1
Inactive

jcorn59483 HB User
Statins (Crestor) and low thyroid

My doctor has been treating me for years for low thyroid. Now she has put me on a statin, Crestor,(for high cholesterol) and I am concerned because there seems to be some indication that those with low thyroid should either avoid or be watched carefully whiile on Statins. Does anybody know more about this? Does anyone here have low thyroid and also take Crestor or another Statin. Confused...

Old 10-14-2004, 04:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: Statins (Crestor) and low thyroid

Yes your right. I was taking lipitor and had hypothyroidism at the time. My cholesterol was 304 so I had to do something. My doc put me on lipitor to get it down.

I started having terrible pain which started in my upper shoulders then legs and feet. I had never had pain like that. It got to where I could barely walk.
My doc gave me an ANA test to see if I had lupus. She also told me to stop the lipitor to see if that was the problem. A few days after I stopped the statin my pains gradually went away. I was also getting dementia. Could not remember things and had to think very hard what to do next. I am not feeding you a bunch of bull either

Crestor might not do that. Just watch out for any unexplained muscle pain.

I will never take a statin again. I have heard that flaxseed oil will help get your cholesterol down.Have never tried it.

Take care now and watch for muscle pain!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2004, 05:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

I don't have high cholesterol but I have talked to my Dr. about preventing it. She advised me to take Flax seed oil capsules or Omega 3 capsules. I take the concentrated Salmon oil ones because they are also supposed to help the heart.

A close friend of mine was recently taken off Lipitor also for the same reason as Lady50. My friend is not hypo T but her pain was real. She the difference in her since the pain is gone is just amazing. She can get motivated again to do things. Her Dr. has also recommended the Flax seen oil or Omega 3. Her cholesterol is hereditary and the oils didn't seem to be doing a whole lot for her. She is now on that new drug that just came out a couple of monts ago. We are crossing our fingers.

Good luck to your both with the cholesterol. It is a tough problem in many.

May God Bless and Keep You
Patience 50

Old 10-14-2004, 05:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

My dad has heart disease, had a stint done when he was in his early 40's, obviously had high cholesterol. He has been taking fish oil caplets and his cholesterol is awesome now! He doesn't eat any better than he used to. He does not have a thyroid problem though. I just thought I'd let you know!

I want to add that he also takes coral calcium.

Last edited by AprilPow; 10-14-2004 at 06:54 AM.

Old 10-14-2004, 01:35 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Yes the cholesterol thing is sometimes hereditary I am sure. Last time I got mine checked it was 199. They have lowered it down to 100 now. Can you believe that? I'm not buying any of the statin junk!!!

I watch my diet. Stay away from butter, margarine, animal fats, cakes and so on. BOY HAS IT BEEN ROUGH THOUGH

Old 10-16-2004, 08:31 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcorn59483
My doctor has been treating me for years for low thyroid. Now she has put me on a statin, Crestor,(for high cholesterol) and I am concerned because there seems to be some indication that those with low thyroid should either avoid or be watched carefully whiile on Statins. Does anybody know more about this? Does anyone here have low thyroid and also take Crestor or another Statin. Confused...
jcorn, are you still here? Hope so.

You should be aware that hypoT is the second leading cause of high LDL and total cholesterol, after poor diet. If you eat well and get moderate exercise, you should turn your attention to your hypoT treatment, and make sure your free hormone levels are optimal for you. It might very well be that your low thyroid isn't being treated in an optimal fashion. It's extremely common for doctors to undertreat.

You're exactly right about the need for those with low thyroid to avoid statins. Taking a statin drug while hypothyroid puts you at a significantly increased risk of statin-induced myopathy. Speaking for myself, I wouldn't take the risk.

Old 10-16-2004, 01:54 PM   #7
Inactive

jcorn59483 HB User

Yes, I'm still here and, frankly, I'm a bit scared. After taking Crestor last night, I was in intense pain (stomach) fro a good part of the night. I'm not taking any more till Monday and I hope I can get my Thyroid straightened out. Every time they test me, they seem to increase my level of Thyroid meds.

My mom, now in her 90's has NEVER taken cholesterol meds and has ragingly high cholesterol, over 400. SHe has never had a heart attack and eats whatever she wants.

Closed Thread