It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2004, 03:46 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Ginger9708 HB User
Do protein drinks affect thyroid??

Hi,
I have just started a few weeks ago drinking a soy protein drink (Carb Solutions) of course its mostly soy protein. I read last week in a magazine that soy proteins found in shakes are no good for the thyroid, is this true? I only drink one daily.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2004, 03:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
Re: Do protein drinks affect thyroid??

Soy is not recommended for people with thyroid problems, the soy does affect your thyroid and you may notice more symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2004, 06:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger9708
Hi,
I have just started a few weeks ago drinking a soy protein drink (Carb Solutions) of course its mostly soy protein. I read last week in a magazine that soy proteins found in shakes are no good for the thyroid, is this true? I only drink one daily.
Soy interferes with your thyroid gland's ability to manufacture thyroid hormone AND intereferes with the utilization of thyroid hormones in your tissues. It is a double-whammy on the metabolism. A shake with Whey protein would be much better.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 11-18-2004, 09:28 PM   #4
(female)

imoutrunning HB User

It definitely effected my thyroid. If you want a low-carb protein drink without soy, then get EAS Myoplex Low Carb. It is a whey protein blend with no soy in it. It's a little more expensive but it tastes a LOT better.

Dr. Phil's SHAPE UP Shake mixes were also soy-free, but I think they discontinued them.

Glynis

Old 11-19-2004, 12:21 AM   #5

lostgrrl HB User

Here was an article I found that suggests the problems with soy and hypo!:

Soy has long been implicated in diet induced goiter. Since the consumption of soy products is increasing dramatically (soy latte anyone?) researchers are trying to define the component responsible. While all the studies mentioned above were on animals, we do know that in babies who have hypothyroidism at birth and require replacement therapy, we need to increase the amount of replacement they are on if we switch their feeds to soy milk. Whether this is because of an absorption problem, or a direct interference of soy with the action of the hormone remains unclear.

What does this mean?

In a short summary, soy does seem to have an effect on thyroid hormone status, in animal studies, and by observing children on soy milk with underlying congenital thyroid problems. We don't know the exact mechanism of the interaction with soy and the thyroid. We also have no studies that appropriately address the issue of thyroid replacement therapy and soy consumption.

How does this effect you?

A good rule to remember is that too much of anything is not healthy. At present we have no reason to say that soy should be avoided in patients on synthroid. And don't forget the health benefits associated with soy, such as reduced cholesterol levels, and improvement in menopausal symptoms. In general, I recommend patients consume no more than 60g of soy a day, and this may vary if there is a history of breast cancer. If you are concerned about your dosage of replacement therapy, or you have made a dramatic dietary change recently, I suggest that you get your thyroid hormone levels checked by your physician. It's quick, easy, and can help to optimize your management.

I hope this helps to answer any questions you may have about soy and thyroid function.

Medical Author: Ruchi Mathur, M.D.

Old 11-19-2004, 12:31 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoutrunning
It definitely effected my thyroid. If you want a low-carb protein drink without soy, then get EAS Myoplex Low Carb. It is a whey protein blend with no soy in it. It's a little more expensive but it tastes a LOT better.

Dr. Phil's SHAPE UP Shake mixes were also soy-free, but I think they discontinued them.

Glynis

Do you know of any protein drinks without sugar?

Closed Thread