It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2004, 06:48 PM   #1

Megan_88 HB User
Question Headaches and Hypothyroid connected?

I've always been known to have headaches. They are usually 5-7 on a scale of 1-10 and it used to be so bad I cried when they got so bad. I never thought they coule be connected to my hypo-thyroid. Could they be?

Old 11-19-2004, 07:21 PM   #2

mbohlman HB User
Re: Headaches and Hypothyroid connected?

I have always had H/A's too. But, I always attributed them to allergies. One of my DR's in highschool said that they were "cluster H/A's" because I have them everyday for a week or two and than none for a month.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2004, 10:31 PM   #3
(male)

prowster HB User

I was getting a few headaches a week, usually not that bad maybe a 6 or 7, but since I have been taking magnesium supplements I rarely get headaches. Just a thought.

Old 11-20-2004, 02:51 AM   #4

mbohlman HB User

Prowster, I would think a H/A that is a 6/7 is pretty bad. But it is hard to tell because pain rating is subjective. Most of mine are only about a 3/4; but I still have recent childbirth to compare to. I have had a 6/7 once, when I was at Estes Park, CO. But I think I had altitude sickness b/c my H/A was not relieved by T3's (tylenol #3) and it felt terrible until were back in the midwest for a week. Hey what do ya know I feel one coming on now

Old 11-20-2004, 03:40 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

I had numerous headaches when I had graves disease and with hypothyroidism. My sinuses also gave me much trouble with many sinus infections.

Old 11-20-2004, 04:06 PM   #6

Megan_88 HB User

So they MAY be connected but more in likely its just like allergies or something?

Old 11-20-2004, 05:09 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Yes it is connected somehow. I have never studied why you have headaches with thyroid problems. If anyone knows, maybe they will reply on this one.

Old 11-21-2004, 05:28 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

heddy73 HB User

I have gotten out of bed every day this past week with a headache so this thread caught my eye. I think it might be sinus headaches though. urrrggg I've never had allergies before. Then again I've never been hypo before....lol

Old 11-21-2004, 06:52 AM   #9

Megan_88 HB User

Well good luck with everyone who has headaches...i hope that soon they will all go away for you guys...thank you so much for posting...-Megan

Old 11-21-2004, 06:50 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

I had more headaches when my thyroid levels were off, and headaches were one of the big symptoms I spoke to my doc about whne I was diagnosed. I had terribel migrain like headaches that were so bad that it hurt to even move and every beat of my heart made it feel like my head woudl explode. It hurt to move, but it hurt so bad I couldn't be still either. It does get better over time and the headaches now are less severe and much less frequent than they were back when I was first starting out.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 11-21-2004, 07:08 PM   #11

LynnHan HB User

I'm going to be the "broken record" again here too! It could very well be related to the imbalance of your estrogen and progesterone. Do these headache's happen with any connection to PMS? I used to get one just AFTER my cycle was over. (Migraine)

Old 11-22-2004, 10:06 AM   #12

Eeyore22 HB User

I used to get a headache almost every day. I also get migraines and used to get about 4-6 per year for more than 20 years. Since I started on Synthroid in May I can honestly say I have had much fewer headaches - I can go weeks without getting one - they are less severe when I do get them and I have not had a migraine - there I jinxed myself - since before starting on the Synthroid. So - I think there is some connection. Now if the rest of me would just work better, I'd be fine!

Carol

Old 11-22-2004, 10:30 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Angry Re: Headaches and Hypothyroid connected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan_88
I've always been known to have headaches. They are usually 5-7 on a scale of 1-10 and it used to be so bad I cried when they got so bad. I never thought they coule be connected to my hypo-thyroid. Could they be?
low thyroid function is connected with a myriad of things (like, duh!!), including allergies, and allergies are connected with "clotted" (blech) sinuses and headaches in general -- i know that migraines can be a result of allergies ...

i've had clotted (for want of a better word) sinuses for two months now and have headaches every day when i wake up, and sometimes severe ones (that's when i head for the T3s), and i've also felt a return of my allergies in the past few months ...

in fact, every time i've gotten sick and had to take significant time off work, i've had severe seasonal allergies, exhaustion, brain fog, and depression -- sound familiar? maybe my GP should have checked for TD a lot earlier!! altho' all he would have done is the Almighty TSH, and i was well w/in the then-normal range even when i was DX'd by another GP ...

so everything's connected -- allergies, headaches, HYPO SYMPTOMS!!, low adrenal function ... you name it ... i'm hoping that my new ND can help -- just better nutritional stuff may help my compromised digestive and immune systems ...

on a lighter note, i am now experiencing dental problems (had them since a year after my hypO DX), so that's just lovely ...

jb

Closed Thread