It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2004, 06:48 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NB Canada
Posts: 48
djleanna HB User
Question Test results. What is Serum T3???

Hi everybody,
I am as confused as ever. I asked my GP for more blood tests. Here are the results of the tests that are back so far.

TSH <.03 (0.4-5.25) MU/L
Free T4 39.2 (10.3-25.7) PMOL/L
Serum T3 3.4 (1.2-3.4) NMOL/L

What is serum T3? Is it odd that mine is still in the normal range?

I have another question. My heart rate is slightly elevated, 86, but at night, I can feel my heat beat. Is that normal? It has been that way for a long time. It does not seem faster than usual but I can feel it well, almost like it is pounding. It seems like since that endo wanted to give me the radio active iodine treatment and I refused it, I've been worried and looking for symptoms. I still feel good. I go to the aquatic center and gym on a regular basis and feel good. Any thoughts?

 
Old 11-24-2004, 06:54 AM   #2
Inactive
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Clearwater, FL, US
Posts: 312
hypodude HB User
Re: Test results. What is Serum T3???

Sounds like your visiting Hyper land. You might want to ask the doc to tone down the meds a little. Your TSH is pretty low and your T4 is pretty high right now. your TSH should probably be somewhere between .5 and 1.2 and your T4 needs to come down a little...too much synthetic hormone. There's no wonder why your heart ripping along. Surprised your heart rate is not even higher with your numbers.

Take your body temperature a few times during the day...I'll bet your higher than normal of 98.6 degrees on average. Another sign of Hyper.

Last edited by hypodude; 11-24-2004 at 06:58 AM.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 11-24-2004, 06:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Euless, TX
Posts: 1,639
Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
Re: Test results. What is Serum T3???

Quote:
Originally Posted by djleanna
Hi everybody,
I am as confused as ever. I asked my GP for more blood tests. Here are the results of the tests that are back so far.

TSH <.03 (0.4-5.25) MU/L
Free T4 39.2 (10.3-25.7) PMOL/L
Serum T3 3.4 (1.2-3.4) NMOL/L

What is serum T3? Is it odd that mine is still in the normal range?

Serum T3 is Total T3.

Quote:
I have another question. My heart rate is slightly elevated, 86, but at night, I can feel my heat beat. Is that normal? It has been that way for a long time. It does not seem faster than usual but I can feel it well, almost like it is pounding. It seems like since that endo wanted to give me the radio active iodine treatment and I refused it, I've been worried and looking for symptoms. I still feel good. I go to the aquatic center and gym on a regular basis and feel good. Any thoughts?
It could be because you are hyper. I am guessing that now that you KNOW you are hyper, you are becoming more aware of your body talking to you.
__________________
Danny

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

 
Old 11-24-2004, 08:27 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NB Canada
Posts: 48
djleanna HB User
Re: Test results. What is Serum T3???

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypodude
Sounds like your visiting Hyper land. You might want to ask the doc to tone down the meds a little. Your TSH is pretty low and your T4 is pretty high right now. your TSH should probably be somewhere between .5 and 1.2 and your T4 needs to come down a little...too much synthetic hormone. There's no wonder why your heart ripping along. Surprised your heart rate is not even higher with your numbers.

Take your body temperature a few times during the day...I'll bet your higher than normal of 98.6 degrees on average. Another sign of Hyper.
Hi Hypodude
Perhaps I need to remind you of my condition. I am not on any meds and never have been. I have been hyper for over five years but do not have any obvious symptoms. I tend to gain weight unless I'm very strict with what I'm eating. I weigh 173 pounds. I have lost 50 pounds over the past 20 months because of a diet I put myself on but I'm on a plateau because I'm cheating. I sleep well, do not have problems with irritability, anxiety etc. My blood pressure, body temp are normal. Even my heart rate is not that high. I don't have tremors, diarrhea etc. My body clock works good and I feel great. My reflexes are normal and my doctor says he does not feel my muscles are wasting. I have had an eye test and my eyes are healthy and normal and don't show any signs of hyperthyroidism. But, we all know that by my blood tests that I am hyper. My question is why do I have such a lack of symptoms? I guess that it is not normal for me to feel my heart beating at night. Right?

The reason I refused the radio active treatment is because I feel so well. My friends do not think of me as a sick person. I'm scared to death that hypo, won't agree with me and that if I took the RAI that then I would feel sick. At the same time, I don't want to live in a world of denial. I am educating myself. I have ordered, received and am reading the two books that have been referred on this sight, Thyroid for Dummies and the Thyroid Diet. However, it seems that everything I read says the same thing I should have all these symptoms and I don't. I have not found any information on atypical cases. So my education needs to continue. My GP is great and is working side by side with me to see if we can find what is up. He is sending me to a new Endo for another opinion.

In most hyper cases is the T3 not higher than mine?

 
Old 11-24-2004, 10:59 AM   #5
Inactive
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Clearwater, FL, US
Posts: 312
hypodude HB User
Re: Test results. What is Serum T3???

Im sorry...forgot about your situation....now as far as what you have going on....I've been told by a friend who was HYPER most of her life, when asked how she feels now that she had RAI, she told me "The thing I miss the most is feeling wide awake all the time".

Now I find that a little bit ironic because her HypER was her problem yet she was hyper so long that she got used to it over time. This could be the case. Perhaps you are not that hyper...but its pretty close. Your body might be so used to being ramped up you don;t even realize what its like to feel "normal" any more.

On the other hand, maybe your body is regulating itself according to what you need and maybe you are fine. If you feel that fine and the doc says you are in good health then maybe you can just leave it alone.

I do not understand the weight problem with your numbers....that is odd I must say.

Lets see....your heart is moving quicker than it should, you're pumping out T3 and T4 like crazy, you eat well but cannot lose weight....

thinking....

pituitary...hypothalamus...sugar...iron. ...liver function coverting too much hormone....why is your TSH so low and T4 so high and you are not "classic hyper"?

hypothalamus is not sending TRH to the pituitary...pituitary is not raising TSH as a result, causing hyper....your brain is telling your thyroid that all is well with the level you are at....your pituitary should be rasing TSH as a result but its not.

Have you been tested for TSI antibodies for Grave's Disease?

How about a pituitary MRI to check for tumors?

Have you had a TRH stimulation test?

Your body is apparantly not getting its signals correct...ask the doc for some of those tests above to see what's going on.

Last edited by hypodude; 11-24-2004 at 11:00 AM.

 
Old 11-24-2004, 12:20 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NB Canada
Posts: 48
djleanna HB User
Re: Test results. What is Serum T3???

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypodude
I've been told by a friend who was HYPER most of her life, when asked how she feels now that she had RAI, she told me "The thing I miss the most is feeling wide awake all the time".
Well I don't feel "wide awake" all the time. I think I feel normal that way. I do have energy. Today I threw in lots and lots of fire wood. Now I'm tired and could use a nap. This is normal. At night I often watch TV and drift off before the end of the show, even when I intend to stay up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypodude
Now I find that a little bit ironic because her HypER was her problem yet she was hyper so long that she got used to it over time. This could be the case. Perhaps you are not that hyper...but its pretty close. Your body might be so used to being ramped up you don;t even realize what its like to feel "normal" any more.
This is an interesting theory. It could be possible but many of the symptoms with hyper are very physical and I don't see how I could not notice. i.e. diarrhea, irregular periods, WEIGHT LOSS (I can only wish) I'm also upbeat and a generally happy person. I don't have concentration problems. I just had a lead role in a play and did not have any trouble with my lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypodude
On the other hand, maybe your body is regulating itself according to what you need and maybe you are fine. If you feel that fine and the doc says you are in good health then maybe you can just leave it alone.
This is the only thing that makes sense to me. Some how my body is compensating for the extra hormone. Also I have read that in different geographical areas the normal ranges for the amount of hormone in the blood is different. Could there be differences for ethnic backgrounds too? I'm Estonian. Just a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypodude
I do not understand the weight problem with your numbers....that is odd I must say.
I agree. Meep has suggested that my cortisol may be too high and causing my weight problem. I've had a 24 hour cortisol urine test which I am waiting for the results. I will post them when I get them. My next appointment is Dec 7th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypodude
Have you been tested for TSI antibodies for Grave's Disease?
The last time I had blood tests, my GP had hand written on the form that he wanted my blood checked for antibodies. Does it take longer for those tests? I was surprised when I got my results and they weren't included. I did not see the doctor, I just picked up a copy of the results. But, I did have the antibodies checked in March 2001.

ANTI-MICROSOMAL 117 IU/ML
ANTI-THYROGLOB <60 IU/ML

NEGATIVE <60 IU/ML
EQUIVOCAL 60-100 IU/ML
POSITIVE >100 IU/ML

So, back then I did test positive for one of the antibodies. Is it a significant amount?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypodude
How about a pituitary MRI to check for tumors?

Have you had a TRH stimulation test?

Your body is apparently not getting its signals correct...ask the doc for some of those tests above to see what's going on.
I will. My doc is the best. He is just as curious about this and he is not a know it all. He teased me one day and said I likely know more about the thyroid than he does now. Needless to say I don't but at least he is open minded and admits that he does not know it all.

Thanks for your input. I really value it. I wish I could find someone with the same "non"-symptoms as me. There has got to be a logical reason for what is going on in my body. However, I stand firm that until I have a diagnosis that makes sense, I will not allow treatment. Unless, of course, my heath starts to fail.

 
Old 11-24-2004, 02:30 PM   #7
Inactive
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Clearwater, FL, US
Posts: 312
hypodude HB User
Re: Test results. What is Serum T3???

Similarly, no doctors understand why my Free T3 and Free T4 have almost always been perfectly normal yet my TSH stays in the 7-13 range all the time. My antibodies are way high though.

I asked specifically if you had TSI antibodies and you did not answer. That is a specific antibody for Grave's from what I understand.

I've also run the course with trying to find what's wrong....had a pituitary MRI, 2 sonograms (this time they believe they found some larger nodules....waiting for the report to come back) and TSH tests like crazy. Still looking for the answer to my insanity.

Are you POSITIVE you are eating well? I don't ask that in jest. A lot of people really don't know how to eat well and think that they're doing good but are not. Are you missing something? Too many calories? Too few? Too much protein? Too much soy? Too much iodine? Too much selenium? Can you list 5 or 10 of the foods you eat most often? Has anyone taken a good hard look at your diet from an outside point of view? Have you ever written down or kept a log of exactly what you eat each day and how much along with the amount of physical activity for the day?

 
Old 11-24-2004, 06:59 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NB Canada
Posts: 48
djleanna HB User
Re: Test results. What is Serum T3???

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypodude
I asked specifically if you had TSI antibodies and you did not answer. That is a specific antibody for Grave's from what I understand.?
Okay. I'm sorry. I was under the understanding that there were only two antibodies that they can check for, thus I didn't even think when I read your response. I just gave you those test results, thinking they were one in the same. But, now I've consulted my trusty "Thyroid for Dummies" (appropriately named for me) and see that this is indeed another antibody and that it is of particular interest for hyperthyroid. So, when I see my doc I will certainly insist on it, unless he had run it recently when I had my blood tests and the results just are not back yet. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypodude
Are you POSITIVE you are eating well? I don't ask that in jest. A lot of people really don't know how to eat well and think that they're doing good but are not. Are you missing something? Too many calories? Too few? Too much protein? Too much soy? Too much iodine? Too much selenium? Can you list 5 or 10 of the foods you eat most often? Has anyone taken a good hard look at your diet from an outside point of view? Have you ever written down or kept a log of exactly what you eat each day and how much along with the amount of physical activity for the day?
I think I eat well. I have logged my intake in the past. I don't eat soy. If anything, sometimes I may not eat enough. I try to avoid starchy foods like white bread, potatoes, white rice. However, I do eat sweet potatoes, peas, corn and squash that tend to be starchy but I eat them sparingly. I eat salad, homemade soups that I make without potatoes but loaded with veggies. I eat meat and often with the meat I have broccoli or cauliflower. I don't eat a lot of junk, though if I could get away with it, I'd love sweets but I just know I can't have them. Simple carbs are my enemy. I take vitamins. I have eliminated iodine from them and use sea salt without iodine as table salt. Of course many foods have salt already in them. I have also switched to decaf coffee and Pepsi. I drink only diet soda. If I have any bad habits, it is I drink a bit too much diet decaf Pepsi. I drink a couple of cans a day. With my weight, I gain when I' eating sugar and simple carbs. When I avoid them, my weight slowly comes down. I told my doc that I treat carbs like I have an allergy to them, they make me fat. Now that I'm down from 222 to 173 pounds, I feel much better and don't feel huge anymore. I'd like to lose another 23 pounds. I'm not concerned how fast it comes off. I just am very careful that I don't gain the other weight back. I exercise regularly both at the gym and the aquatic center. I play golf at least once a week in the summer and attempt to ski in the winter. Coming back to the food, I was always the mom that made sure the family had both a yellow and green veggie with every meal, protein and back then potatoes. I make most things from scratch and use whole wheat flour in almost all my baking from biscuits to banana bread. I'm pretty confidant that my diet is balanced and what might be missing, I'm covering the vitamins and minerals I take.

I really appreciate your interest and your help.

 
Old 11-25-2004, 08:28 AM   #9
Inactive
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Clearwater, FL, US
Posts: 312
hypodude HB User
Re: Test results. What is Serum T3???

TSI - Thyroid Stimulating Immunoglobulin, (generally used in reference to the TSI antibody test) an antibody typically found/present in approximately 80% of patients with active Graves' disease. TSI is the same as "stimulating TSH receptor antibody" (TRAb) and "thyroid stimulating immunoglobulin"

Here's a little info on that specific test:

[url]http://health.allrefer.com/health/tsi-info.html[/url]

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Ready for vacation from triple blockade - mostly good test results, but a concern too IADT3since2000 Cancer: Prostate 6 04-30-2010 02:27 PM
New to Group with test results-LONG Needtoknow2 Thyroid Disorders 2 06-18-2007 03:56 AM
question about urine test kelsey1 Pain Management 6 02-19-2007 07:39 AM
Addison's Disease Test and Exercise Ivoryz00 Addison's Disease 1 12-03-2006 09:13 AM
Please help with saliva test results Racheldee Addison's Disease 3 11-12-2006 07:09 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Armour
Cytomel
Levothroid
Levoxyl
Potassium
  Synthroid
Tapazole
Unithroid
Xanax
Zoloft




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



sammy64 (668), midwest1 (631), FinnMaid (313), Reece (225), lisa789 (196), Tree Frog (80), mkgbrook (72), cd37 (56), ladybud (47), Bran'sNana (44)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1013), Apollo123 (909), Titchou (856), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (763), ladybud (755), midwest1 (670), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:15 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!