It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2004, 12:51 PM   #1
(female)

morningtheft HB User
A little advice needed

I just posted in the 'depression' board because, well, I thought I may have depression and someone suggested to me that it could be a thyroid problem. I had half my thyroid removed 5 years ago when I was 13 as it had a cyst with a benign tumour on it, although there weren't any problems with the thyroid itself at the time. My mum also had an overactive thyroid and had to have hers removed. I was wondering if the depressive symptoms could have anything to do with my thyroid, only I haven't gained or lost any weight (I've always been pretty skinny) and I heard that's a symptom. I don't want to go into great detail again about everything and I know I should go to a doctors really but I'd like to have some people's opinion on this first, because this is holding me back and it's finally started to hit me how much it's going to affect me in life if I don't do anything about it. It's probably pointless posting this because I haven't really said any symptoms, it was just the weight thing that's bothered me the most because from the very little I know about thyroid problems I heard that the vast majority of people notice a change in weight, and I haven't. I should do some research really but it'd be nice to have some first hand views/experiences as well. Sorry if I'm causing hassle, and if you've got this far, thanks for reading!

Old 11-24-2004, 01:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User
Re: A little advice needed

Depression can be a symptom as well as anxiety and panic attacks, hair loss, fatigue, heart palps, rapid or slow heartrate, itchy skin, muscle aches etc etc the list goes on. Weigh gain or loss does NOT happen to everyone. Go get your thyroid levels checked, be sure they check your FREE T3 and FREE T4, they should BOTH be in the UPPER 1/3 of the labs range.
Let us know what you find out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2004, 01:09 PM   #3
(female)

morningtheft HB User

Thanks I've never had a full-on panic attack or really any of the physical symptoms apart from occasional chest pains, which I've had since I was about 11 anyway so I doubt they're related. I have to go for another mumps vaccine in a couple of weeks so I might bring it up then because I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to doctors...I need people to force me to go because I'm scared of being laughed at or told off for wasting their time, but that's just something I need to get over really, it's just an excuse. I'll give it a go.

Old 11-24-2004, 02:39 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

nornie HB User

Morningtheft,

I did not have any weight changes, but I did have depression (and hairloss). I never made the connection between thyroid and depression; was initially told the hairloss was just genetic. My thyroid problem was discovered during routine blood work prior to some minor surgery. Depression lifted after I got treated. This may or may not be the situation for you, but you definitely should get it checked. The doctor will not laugh at you, (or if he/she does - fire them!) As Dea said, make sure you get the Free T4 and Free T3 checked, not just TSH.

Nornie

Old 11-24-2004, 04:34 PM   #5
(female)

morningtheft HB User

Thanks for the advice. I know I need to do something for myself because I can't rely on other people forever, and this is really starting to hold me back. Free T3 and Free T4, got it

Old 12-01-2004, 10:40 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

SandraM HB User

Also make sure you have regular testings. I have mine done about 3 months. Good luck to you.

Old 12-01-2004, 11:14 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

SandraM HB User

I forgot to mention this. When you have any increases on the meds, make sure you have a follow up blood test about 4 to 6 weeks after the increase.

Old 12-11-2004, 10:45 AM   #8
(female)

Jane in England HB User

Hiya

Dont know if you will read this now and your last post was last month. but thought I would just let you know, that yes, I was 'depressed' (although not clinically) before I was diagnosed as having an underactive thyroid - mind you I did not realize this under afterwards - hindsight - what a wonderful thing it is!! Also I never really had a weight problem. I know that there are loads of people out there with under active thyroids who really struggle with weight. I did put on a bit before I went on the medication - but I have always been slim - i'm now about 114 pounds - (I think - 8 stone 3 - Im in england!!) and I have stayed this ever since I went on meds.

Jane

Old 12-11-2004, 07:48 PM   #9
(female)

superstring HB User

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents worth: I had a left thyroid lobectomy on 11/18. My thyroid hormone levels were ok & I had no symptoms before the surgery; I too had a benign tumor. But I am to return in 3 months to have my TSH checked, and report any symptoms of hypothyroidism before that if I notice anything. My regular health care provider, who is a smart family nurse practitioner, explained that it can take months to a year to find out if there will be enough activity from the remaining half of the thyroid. The idea is to check the TSH frequently (every 3 mos. is I guess frequent) so that any trend upward can be noticed, even before any symptoms. She said that the longer you let it go & the sicker you get, the longer it takes to get it corrected with replacement hormone. No dr. should laugh at you if you want a TSH (& T3, T4) if you have what you think are symptoms of hypothyroidism and only have half a thyroid! (I have had a TSH as part of my annual physical for years--never even asked for it.) Hope this inspires you to run right out & get the test! Best of luck.

Closed Thread