It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2004, 05:24 PM   #1
(female)

kloet HB User
Unhappy Not sure if Thyroid or Fibromylagia related?

My fingers and toes are hurting so bad. My finger joints are just aching and feel stiff and my toes are aching with pain and feel tight. My questions is can this be a thyroid symptom or can it be Fibromylagia related. Also does anyone know what I can do or take for this? If anyone can advise it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and God Bless.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2004, 07:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: Not sure if Thyroid or Fibromylagia related?

Hi Kloet, I am sorry you are in so much pain. They are saying on the news these days that fibro could be caused from undertreated hypothyroidism.

I know when my thyroid was low, I had pains just like the ones you mentioned. It could be from the edema that comes with the hypo.

Please don't take a statin because it will make your pains worse. That is what it did to me.

Hope you get better
God bless
Betty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2004, 07:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

I have both thyroid disease and Fibromyalgia and I know if my thyroid is low I feel much worse, aching joints, my fingers swell. I talked to my Doc about it and he says the two are not related, but I know how I feel. So I guess we are in the same boat maybe someone here can be of more assistance. I have a question though do you sleep well?

Old 11-26-2004, 07:17 AM   #4
(female)

kloet HB User

I had a sleeping disorder and was given Elavil. But I am finding that lately that even when I take the Elavil I am still having a hard time sleeping. I seem to sleep then wake up over and over again. I have been through the thyroid thing with my doctor and he says it is all "normal". My last blood work did show that my Free T4 was at the low end of the range, it was 9.2 (range 9.1-23.8) so I am not sure if this means something or not. But my fingers and toes were really sore and painful lastnight. They are alittle better today but still sore. Any advice anyone has is very helpful and I really appreciate all the help I get from this board. Thanks and God Bless

Old 11-26-2004, 09:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

I just wanted to say that with your t4 being low like that you will definitely have those pains. Most women feel better when the ft3 and ft4 are in the upper 1/3 of the range.

I know when mine was low like that I did have symptoms.

Just wanted to add my two cents okay?

Old 11-26-2004, 05:00 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

Fibromyalgia is not properly a disorder or disease in and of itself. Fibromyalgia literally means fiber pain o rtissue pain. It is a SYMPTOM. Hypothyroidism is a common cause of fibromyalgia, though there are other causes. My bet is that the problem lies in your low Free T4. You are under-treated, and still hypothyroid, despite what your TSH might indicate. Get your Free T4 up and you will progressively feel better.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 11-26-2004, 05:50 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

lillypad HB User

Please get the book The Thyroid Solution and read about the 'link' between fibro and hypo. I picked it up at the library and now am going to buy it for my library. I was dx with fibro also and it can be the reason for your pain. Only by getting your meds optimized will you be able to tell if there is a connection.

You could edcuate your doc to this link!

Old 11-26-2004, 06:18 PM   #8

-Misha- HB User

Kloet, I'm not sure how you react, but I know that medications make my Fibro flare up. It took me years to figure out that vicious circle. I was taking hypnotics to help me sleep, only for the pills to make me worse. Now I take melatonin instead. Hopefully adding Synthroid to my Armour will help me in the sleep department.

Dr. Lowe's book is a good starting point. I wish I had known I had hypothyroidism back when I first got Fibro, it would have made this journey much easier.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-26-2004 at 07:19 PM. Reason: do not post any kind of information to find websites

Old 11-27-2004, 02:25 PM   #9
(female)

kloet HB User

I want to go to my doctor and tell him that I have learned that my FRee T4 is in the lower range. If I do what medication would someone with a low Free T4 be perscribed. This is so I can go in alittle armed cause he does not seem to know a whole lot. Any information would be greatly apprecited. Thanks and God Bless.

Old 11-28-2004, 05:55 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User

sorry to interupt but i have similar symptoms, can thyroid make you really tired? i feel really heavy, my arms and legs like someones pushing me down? thanks, april. also is tingling a symptom? this is my biggest one

Old 11-28-2004, 10:02 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apriltones
sorry to interupt but i have similar symptoms, can thyroid make you really tired? i feel really heavy, my arms and legs like someones pushing me down? thanks, april. also is tingling a symptom? this is my biggest one
Feel free to chime in anywhere! :-) Being tired all the time and just plain fatigued was the number one symptoms that I had when I was diagnosed, and the one I most wanted to get rid of.

Last edited by Meep; 11-28-2004 at 10:34 PM.

Old 11-29-2004, 06:42 AM   #12
(female)

kloet HB User

Bumping in hope that someone will have an answer to my Free T4 guestion so that I can take that information to my doctor. Please any information greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-29-2004, 07:27 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloet
Bumping in hope that someone will have an answer to my Free T4 guestion so that I can take that information to my doctor. Please any information greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Tell me more. What is your Free T4 and what is the range (sorry if you have posted this elsewhere, but I don't remember it). Also, what is your TSH? Your doc is obviously more worried about TSH than T4, so we need to work with that. As an example:

Lets say that your TSH is 2. You can approach your doctor and say "Of course, I know that is 'normal', but so is 1, and a small dose increase might raise my T4. Can we try a trial at a slightly higher dose to see if that helps alleviate some of my symptoms?"

The point is that there is often a great deal of room to play around with doses and still keep your labs "normal" so your doc doesn't freak out.

Old 11-29-2004, 01:09 PM   #14
(female)

kloet HB User

Meep, You are right my doctor was more concerned about my TSH. My Free T4 was 9.2 (range 9.1-23.8) and my TSH was 0.67 (range 0.3-5.0). The only reason I am feeling this out is because my bit toe sometimes is in excrutiating pain and my other toes feel numb at times. My fingers are very sensative to the cold. They really hurt and achy when exposed to cold or cooler air. That is why I am guestioning whether this is thyroid related or fibro. But you commented earlier that fibro is also just another symptom of hypothyroid. I have also been trying to lose weight as in my earlier posts and have been doing weight watchers point system at home with excersing when I can and cannot seem to lose weight. So if you can help me figure out if this is all related to my low Free T4 than maybe I can get my doctor to see it my way. So therefore your help is very much appreciated and I thank you for taking the time to help me. Thanks and God Bless.

Old 11-29-2004, 02:38 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloet
Meep, You are right my doctor was more concerned about my TSH. My Free T4 was 9.2 (range 9.1-23.8) and my TSH was 0.67 (range 0.3-5.0). The only reason I am feeling this out is because my bit toe sometimes is in excrutiating pain and my other toes feel numb at times. My fingers are very sensative to the cold. They really hurt and achy when exposed to cold or cooler air. That is why I am guestioning whether this is thyroid related or fibro. But you commented earlier that fibro is also just another symptom of hypothyroid. I have also been trying to lose weight as in my earlier posts and have been doing weight watchers point system at home with excersing when I can and cannot seem to lose weight. So if you can help me figure out if this is all related to my low Free T4 than maybe I can get my doctor to see it my way. So therefore your help is very much appreciated and I thank you for taking the time to help me. Thanks and God Bless.
That doctor is not likely to budge from a dose that has your TSH at .67. However your TSH shoudl be highest in the morning, and you may be able to get him to work with you if that were higher.

Low-carb dieting will lower your TSH as well, as it tries to slow your metabolism. I haven't read the weight watcher's plan, so I am not sure if that woudl apply here. Still going too low-calorie can be detrimental to your metabolism, too.

It might be in yoru best interest to go doc shopping. Look for support groups and ask around.

Closed Thread