It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2004, 06:35 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

don444 HB Userdon444 HB User
Question Synthroid Increase Question

Dx - Hashimoto’s

Latest Blood Tests
TSH 2.717 (.35 -5.5)
T4 8.8 (4.5 - 12.0)
T3 Uptake 33 (24 - 39)
Free T4 2.8 (1.2 - 4.9)

I met with a new cardiologist who saw these test results and he increased my Synthroid from 88mcg to 100mcg which surprised me. I have been on the increased dosage for a week now and I still have not seen any improvement and sometimes I actually feel worse.
How long does it take to see some improvement?

Old 11-26-2004, 04:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
Re: Synthroid Increase Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi
Dx - Hashimoto’s

Latest Blood Tests
TSH 2.717 (.35 -5.5)
T4 8.8 (4.5 - 12.0)
T3 Uptake 33 (24 - 39)
Free T4 2.8 (1.2 - 4.9)

I met with a new cardiologist who saw these test results and he increased my Synthroid from 88mcg to 100mcg which surprised me.
I would have advised increasing your dose, too. Low thyroid levels (and yours were lower thna they should be, even if they were "normal") cause elevated cholesterol and can lead to heart problems. Teh most common cause of death in an un-treated hypothyroid patient is congestive heart failure. Your cardiologist knows this and is taking steps to lower your risk.

Ideally, I like to see Free T4 at 3, and preferably between 3.7 and 3.9 in the range you provided.

It sounds like your Cardiologist is on the right track.

Quote:
I have been on the increased dosage for a week now and I still have not seen any improvement and sometimes I actually feel worse.
How long does it take to see some improvement?
Improvemsnt is usualy slow and gradual, so you might not even notice that you are feeling better. It may take months to feel a positive change, but usually this occurs over several weeks.. Chances are that you will need another dose increase after this one, and maybe ither adjustments later.

To track your symptoms, keep a symptom journal. Once a week (or more often if you wish) make it a point to write down your symptoms that you have experienced over the last week. dont' read this agian until a month after you have written it. Often you will find that a month later you'll see that you really do feel better than you dod before.

Another advantage to this is that you have your symptoms down in one place so you can show your doc your progress without having to stop and remember every little symptom since your last visit. This way you can definitively say "OVer the last several weeks, I have seen no improvement," or "over tha last several weeks, symptoms a and b are the same, but symptom x is getting better and symptom y is gone."

The journal can be helpful to both you and your doctor. You don't have to show it to your doc, but use it to get your thoughts summarized before your appointment, so you can maximize the use of the few minutes you have with the doc.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread