It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2004, 05:37 PM   #1
(female)

Crazy4ever HB User
Diagnosed with Hashi's!

I finally have a doctor that listens and runs test and I have a diagnosis! I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Syndrome X (metabolic disorder). I would prefer not to have any of this but finding out what is really wrong with me is a big relief. Now I can get on with learning what I can about this disease and doing what I can to make sure that I stay as healthy as possible. He wants me to continue on the 50 mcg synthroid and has put me on 500mg a day of metformin. I already have an appointment January for more bloodwork and a follow up. He believes that some of my other levels (lipids and ketosteriods) are a little high due to the metabolic disorder but believes that WE can fix all that. In the past, all the other doctors just said that I was obese and needed to loose weight but never offered any help. He explained everything to me and made some suggestions about diet and was willing to prescribe Xenical to help with my cholesterol and weight. I need to get back to walking on my break at work and riding my stationary bike while watching tv at night.

I would appreciate any suggestions and thoughts from those of you on this board that are dealing with Hashi's so that I too may learn more about this and learn how to deal with it myself.

These were my results taken at 8:00 am after fasting 12 hours and no synthroid:

TSH 2.074 - range .35 - 5.5
T4 6.8 range 4.5 - 12.0
T3 uptake 29% range 24-39
FT3 2.0 range 1.2-4.9
TPO 10 range 0-34
THYABS 38 range 0-40

Thank you everyone for your time and attention that you pay to all of us on this board! I don't know where I would be without all of this wonderful information that everyone so unselfishly shares.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2004, 02:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User
Waiting for Antibodies Test Results

I don't think you mentioned diabetes, but metformin is for that, you may or may not already know.

Keep us posted.

Old 11-29-2004, 10:39 AM   #3
(female)

Crazy4ever HB User
Re: Diagnosed with Hashi's!

I was diagnosed with insulin resistance and PCOS in the past. That was why I was originally on the metformin. I have read that metformin is also used in PCOS women who do not have insulin resistance because it helps with stabilizing hormones. I think this is where the doc is going as far as the Syndrome X is concerned. I had a fasting gtt done and according to lab ranges, my fasting glucose was high at 103 but the responses to the gluscose were normal. My bad cholesterol was high as well as my triglycerides which is indicative of the metabolic disorder (Syndrome X). If I can watch what I eat and exercise on a daily basis, I think I can get those numbers back into the normal range and hopefully get off the metformin. As far as the thyroid, we will have to see where that goes!

Closed Thread