It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2004, 01:13 PM   #1

twizzler3 HB User
Question ? for ppl on meds wh normal blood tests.

ok,
i have been thinking about something. i know some of you are on meds for symptoms even though blood tests are normal. my question is this: how do you take meds and feel better w/o making the #'s go up?

Last edited by twizzler3; 11-27-2004 at 01:14 PM.

Old 11-27-2004, 03:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: ? for ppl on meds wh normal blood tests.

There is no perfect "normal" in thyroid disease. There is a range of numbers for each test, but just having your results included within the range does not mean that the result is "normal" for you. Ninety-five percent of the population is included in the range, but at least 20% of the entire population has thyroid disease... So you can see that if only 5% of the population falls outside the "normal" range, a LOT of people are being overlooked.

My FT4 and FT3 were never outside the "normal" range (although my TSH) was. My FTs are higher in their ranges now that I am medicated, and I am feeling better because of it. Most people who come here just starting treatment have similar "numbers".... I've only seen someone whose FT4 was below range once, maybe twice. People get sick long before their tests are abnormal for the range. The best and smartest doctors know this, and will agree to a trial of hormone if the tests are only slightly "off", and if there are antibodies and symptoms present.
We all hope our doctors are smart about TD, but shamefully for the profession, most aren't.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2004, 05:14 PM   #3

twizzler3 HB User

thanks midwest...
'dont i know it! i guess i didnt phrase it well so lemme try again: what i was wondering is how does a person wh symptoms and within a normal range keep it from going out of it b/c this is my drs gripe. she tells me its already normal so more would make it higher.

Old 11-27-2004, 05:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by twizzler3
thanks midwest...
'dont i know it! i guess i didnt phrase it well so lemme try again: what i was wondering is how does a person wh symptoms and within a normal range keep it from going out of it b/c this is my drs gripe. she tells me its already normal so more would make it higher.
What are your test results? I am going to assume that since your doc is closed minded about your results being "normal" then you are probably taking Synthroid, or something like it (Levoxyl, Unithroid, etc)

If your TSH is above 2 that means you DEFINITELY need a dose increase, and doing so is not going to be an issue with a doc who understands hypothyroidism.

If your Free T4 is below the middle of the range, then you need a dose increase DESPITE what your TSH might indicate.

In either case, adding meds is not necessarily going to put your labs out of range. If either of the above scenarios exists, the only way your labs are likely to go out of range is if your doc gives you a big dose increase, which is not wise anyhow. Dose increases should always be slow and small unless you are in danger of death, and then only in a hospital where you are being closely monitored, which is highly unlikely at this moment in time for you, since you are already medicated and able to sit up and type on a computer.

It may be time to doctor shop or it may be time to gently educate this doc.

Post your lab results and the ranges for them and I'll tell you how to talk to your doctor about them and any dose change that might be beneficial to you.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 11-27-2004, 06:14 PM   #5

twizzler3 HB User

ok,
i need to get em. im not on any meds... i cant even get diagnosed but im classic hypo.

Closed Thread