It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2004, 05:25 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
How Do You Describe Brain Fog?

How do you guys describe brain fog?

I call it "OPS" for outer-planetary surrealness. I feel like I am outside of myself--a disconnected zombie. Does anyone else feel this way? When the thyroid levels get more regulated, does this symptom go away?

Thanks for your responses!

Old 11-28-2004, 05:38 PM   #2
Inactive

hypodude HB User
Re: How Do You Describe Brain Fog?

For me its more of a generalized fuzziness....not sharp. I compare it to.....If you are a regular coffee drinker and feel great after that first cup of coffee. Its kind of like how you feel before you get that first cup of coffee in you but it lasts all day. Just a sort of dull finish on everything and nothing is sharp, crystal clear or quick...everything is like dull, gray, boring. With H?ashi's, I can actually feel my thyroid kicking back in because all that fuzziness quickly fades in and out throughout the day as my thyroid does its thing. When I go from hypo toward hyper, I start breathing much better, feel more alert, everything sort of comes into focus so to speak.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2004, 06:14 PM   #3
(female)

KarenMorris HB User

I describe is as feeling somewhat stupid, or fuzzy, all day. I just felt like I was sleepy all day and couldn't concentrate. I had it for 2 long years, while I fought with doctors to help me.

After your medication is regulated correctly, and you are getting the correct amount, the brain fog does go away. At least in my case, it did. I was soo happy... incredibly happy to not feel like that anymore.

Old 11-28-2004, 07:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

don444 HB Userdon444 HB User

I would think that everybody has a different slant on brain fog.
I discribe mine as the feeling one has when they first awake and feeling like that all day.

Old 11-28-2004, 08:11 PM   #5

LynnHan HB User

For me, I feel like I can't remember simple things...things that should be familiar. And not only can't I remember them..but don't tend to care that I can't? Like I know it's "wrong" of me to not know..but I'm contented to be ditzy? It's generally one of the first signs that I get with I know "something's" up with my dosage. When it happens for days/week or more then I REALLY know something that I'm doing is interferring with my medication. First time, it was Calcium suppliments that I was taking along with my synthroid, and the second time I was on generic thyroid meds.

When "brain fog" starts to set in, I KNOW I'm not being medicated enough!

It's sorta scary though to think about, to me, it's almost what altzhimer's must sort of feel like? Forgetful and able to sit an stare for long periods of time.

When these brain fog periods have happened to me, I tell my husband what it's like for me, and tell him to keep a closer eye on me...because it's as if I don't realise that I'm not doing things "normally"...or care that I'm not! Very strange...but once you know the DIFFERENCE then you realise JUST exactly what thyroid meds do for you!!

Old 11-28-2004, 10:14 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

Just like everything else with this disease...there are varying degrees. You can be anwhere from just a little fuzzy feeling...all the way to stark-raving out of it. Its like Alzhiemers' in that it messes with your mind, personality, ability to create and maintain dynamics with those around you, see and hear properly. It can also mess with your emotions in dramaticly horrifying ways. In some states you can even be fined for driving while having hypothyroidism. Its no more safe than being intoxicated. Its VERY scarey and it shouldn't be taken lightly.

Old 11-29-2004, 05:39 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Thick headed but at the same time out of it!! sometimes outside of myself! Hope a shrink aint reading this lot lol thye would lock us up! hahaha no seriously its awful

Old 11-29-2004, 07:01 AM   #8

Eeyore22 HB User

Yeah - I'd agree, it's like when you first wake up and feel that way all day- that sounds right. But my vision is so grainy especially indoors - does anyone else have that and will it get better? I think it adds to my feeling out of it. The eye doctor says my eyes are fine... this is my most troubling symptom.

Old 11-29-2004, 07:37 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

When I am suffering from brain fog, I say that I am "having a thyroid moment", because I know it is often thyroid related. For me, brain fog is a general amost spaced out state of mind (or lack thereof) where I tend to be forgetful, inattentive, and have great difficulty concentrating.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 11-29-2004, 07:54 AM   #10
(female)

BonBe HB User

Yes to what Meep says..... it is like when I was given some distressing news I played it like a slo mo and filmed through a very fuzzy fiilter. I am aware of things, but seem to be unable to act upon it.

I too call it a thyorid moment..... same as the cold hands (I say tis a thryoid thing) but then the funny thing (my 87 year old mom lives with us) and if I have cold hands a say tis a thyroid thing...she immed thinks she suffers from it as well..... (no she is not) I have her blood done yearly and always get the full panels including the free's (when I think of it)

so brain fog makes for strange days for me and those around me.
I do not like it, as I feel I just do not have the time to be fuzzy bonnie all the day..... usually happens when I am without good quality sleep. (my meds seem ok)

Bonnie

Old 11-29-2004, 02:54 PM   #11
(male)

abigchocoholic HB User

Like a camera shot that's out of focus. Like walking around with a towel wrapped around your head.

And I think it is related to the sleep chemicals. It's as if they aren't fully burned during sleep and a residue hangs over you while awake.

Old 11-29-2004, 06:08 PM   #12

Lydiia HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by softcrush
Just like everything else with this disease...there are varying degrees. You can be anwhere from just a little fuzzy feeling...all the way to stark-raving out of it. Its like Alzhiemers' in that it messes with your mind, personality, ability to create and maintain dynamics with those around you, see and hear properly. It can also mess with your emotions in dramaticly horrifying ways. In some states you can even be fined for driving while having hypothyroidism. Its no more safe than being intoxicated. Its VERY scarey and it shouldn't be taken lightly.
This one strikes a cord with me. While most of my symptoms have improved over the past 6 months or so with medication, my mental function is frightening to me and I can't laugh or joke about it. I feel like I have Alzheimers at 46.

The thing I hate the most is the total lack of short term memory, mental confusion and total inability to focus for any length of time. I feel like my brain can no longer shift gears in a timely manner...it's like my whole thought processes are running at half speed.

All of this is getting worse instead of better. It is very noticible to friends and family and my income and career have pretty much slipped into the gutter because of it.

I fully expect that this symptom will ruin my life, but there inst a damn thing I can do to stop it from happening.

Old 11-29-2004, 06:16 PM   #13

LynnHan HB User

Lydiia

Of course you can't laugh about it when it's got you worried and effecting your life. I understand. It's scary. May I ask what type of thyroid meds your on? Have you tried switching? One thing I noticed within HOURS of switching from generic thyroid back to my normal synthroid was that the "fog" cleared rather quickly.

Perhaps that may help you as well?

People start to "wonder" about me when I get like this, but? unless they feel what it's like do they truely have ANY idea. Very frustrating!

Old 11-29-2004, 06:19 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

SarahF HB User

Somehow I find it oddly comforting to know that there are other people in the world as zonked out as I am.

I feel like I am walking in a shroud, not quite seeing clearly. And forgetting a word I need to communicate right in the middle of a though? ARG

I know my thyroid is off right now because my brain fog is getting worse as of late.

Old 11-30-2004, 03:19 AM   #15

Lydiia HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHan
Lydiia

Of course you can't laugh about it when it's got you worried and effecting your life. I understand. It's scary. May I ask what type of thyroid meds your on? Have you tried switching? One thing I noticed within HOURS of switching from generic thyroid back to my normal synthroid was that the "fog" cleared rather quickly.

Perhaps that may help you as well?

People start to "wonder" about me when I get like this, but? unless they feel what it's like do they truely have ANY idea. Very frustrating!
I have not tried switching although I have toyed with the idea of adding some Armour type (it seems to be available in China on line with no perscription and it is not even expensive).

My Tsh is still much too high tho Ft3 and Ft4 are doing well on just 25 mcg of generic levoxyl. I didnt get to stay on the nongeneric very long due to a new law here. I can afford to pay for the brand name out of pocket tho since it is not expensive. I just didnt bother because it seemed to be doing the job for energy and weight.

I cant have a (lol cant remember the name) endocrynologist, my primary wont refer me and I have an HMO.

I have been really tempted to show up on my Dr's doorstep with a suitcase and say " Ok I lost another job. Since your sure my thryroid numbers are fine I figured you could hire me.....or better yet, just support me financially so I can stay home."

His treatment of my Hashi's would get much more aggresive if he had to live with me

So I think about adding some natural thyroid, but then my numbers will all change and he may drop my perscription meds. I really dont like the idea of treating myself or having to try and do the Drs job. I am not qualified to do his job.

Closed Thread