It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2004, 06:45 AM   #1
Inactive

sillysundy43 HB User
My Test Results

HI there:

Got my test results; here they are:

Free T4, dIRECT, S T4 -- 1.13 (range 0.61 -- 1.76)

TSH -- 0.017 (range 0.350 -- 5.500)

Free T3 -- 114 (range 85 -- 205)

What do ya'll think??

Old 11-29-2004, 07:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
Re: My Test Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysundy43
HI there:

Got my test results; here they are:

Free T4, dIRECT, S T4 -- 1.13 (range 0.61 -- 1.76)

TSH -- 0.017 (range 0.350 -- 5.500)

Free T3 -- 114 (range 85 -- 205)

What do ya'll think??
I think that TSH is not a good indicator of where your thyroid levels should be, in your case (it works well for many).

Free T4 is a hair below the middle of the lab range. This is fine for some, but many need this to be higher. 1.18 would be the middle of the range, but many feel their best when that is closer to 1.4 or 1.5.

Free T3 is even lower, telling me you are not convertingT4 to T3 efficiently. We should shoot for at LEAST 145 (the middle of the range), but many feel their best when this is closer to 175 or so.

Your Free T3 being lower in its range thanthe Free T4 tells me that you are not converting T4 to T3 well, as I said, and this could be for many reasons. It could be Selenium Deficiency, low-carb dieting, lack of activity, liver problems, or regular ingestion of alcohol, acetaminophen (tylenol and other "aspirin free" pain relievers, or other meds that are metabolized primarily by the liver.

Getting on some Selenium might help considerably. Start on 200mcg a day for one month, then drop back to 100mcg a day for maintenance. This will help your liver bring your T3 up.

Alternatively, or even at the same time, your labs make you a good candidate for switching to Armour or adding Cytomel so that your T3 could be brought up that way.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Last edited by Meep; 11-29-2004 at 07:33 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2004, 07:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

How are you feeling sillysundy43? If my ft3 and ft4 were that low, I would not have much energy.

Old 11-29-2004, 07:59 AM   #4
Inactive

sillysundy43 HB User

Thanks for the advice. I will try taking selenium and see how that works! I do like to drink now and then, so that may be why I'm not converting T4 to T3. Especially, on the weekends! I feel great though. I cut back to one grain because I was afraid of going hyper. Also, I started using progesterone cream because that helps support healthy thyroid also. Have a great day.

Also, I lost 5 pounds over the span of two months. Also, I do low carb diet, but that's the only way I can lose!

Last edited by sillysundy43; 11-29-2004 at 08:03 AM.

Old 11-29-2004, 08:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysundy43
Thanks for the advice. I will try taking selenium and see how that works!
Hopefully it shoudl help, but keep in mind the other factors as well.

Quote:
I do like to drink now and then, so that may be why I'm not converting T3 to T4. Especially, on the weekends! I feel great though.
Drinking in moderation and occasionally shouldn't be much of a problem, BUT since alcohol is a stress on your liver, it does interfere with conversion. I like to have my beer once or twice a week, too, though, so who am I to judge?

I am glad you feel great. I know that I wouldn't with labs like yours (been there), but we are all different and have different needs.

Quote:
I cut back to one grain because I was afraid of going hyper.
Judging by your labs, there is no worry of that right now.

Quote:
Also, I started using progesterone cream because that helps support healthy thyroid also.
Yes, but not as directly as taking your meds and supplements and properly feeding the thyroid gland and liver.

Quote:
Also, I lost 5 pounds over the span of a month. Also, I do low carb diet, but that's the only way I can lose!
Congrats on the weight loss, but, just because low-carbing helps you lose weight doesn't mean it is good for you.

On the Atkins website, they quote a medical journal article in which it is pointed out that TSH and T3 will both drop when you are on a low-carb diet. Atkins people clam that this is normal, but I disagree. T3 should remain at a fairly constant level regardless of weight (same concentration in your blood), and TSH is not stable enough to care about anyhow. They point out that the higher your fat intake, the more your T3 would drop on a low-carb diet.
Low carbing causes your T3 to drop, because it is a strain on the liver. The liver, because it is deprived of glucose and simple carbohydrates has to work extra hard to convert glycogen which was previously stored in your muscle tissue to glucose, which is a difficult process. This leaves little or no time for T3 conversion.

Low carbing causes your TSH to drop, because your body, sensing a deprivation of necessary nutrients (carbohydrates are a nutrient, too) wants to slow your metabolism. Why would you want to SLOW your metabolism to lose weight? The goal in weight loss is to RAISE your metabolism to help you shed the pounds, then maintain that higher metabolism to keep the weight off, right? Isn't that what a reputable nutritionist would tell you? So how is low-carbing good if it tries to lower your metabolism in two ways (dropping TSH and dropping T3)?

Another point to consider is that a great deal of the initial weight loss that is so "impressive" when low carbing is water weight. Glycogen attracts water. For every gram of Glycogen stored in your gody, there are 2.5 grams of water stored with it. When your body starts burning up glycogen for fuel, then you naturally start shedding water weight. There are other ways to lose water weight, like keeping yourself properly hydrated by drinking plenty of water (at least a half-gallon/two liters daily). Sodas, coffee, and tea don't count. Caffeine also liberates glycogen, thus the diuretic effect it has, but this is not the way!

Glycogen is what you get energy from when you release adrenaline. It is meant to be an emergency supply of energy in times of great stress, so depleting your glycogen by low carbing and ingesting caffeine reduces your body's reserve energy source and might leave you less able to react in an emergency situation when your body actually NEEDS glycogen.

Diet if you must, but be educated on the effects of the diet. Study not only the materials that support the diet, because they tell you only the "good" (you'll lose weight), but don't tell you the bad, but study the scientific literature on the diet that exposs the weaknesses, too. Weight the strengths and the weaknesses and make sure you know what you are getting into.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Last edited by Meep; 11-29-2004 at 08:55 AM.

Closed Thread