It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2004, 11:52 AM   #1
(female)

taram HB User
Question Where do I go from here?

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's two years ago, was on 100mcg levoxyl pleading with my doc to increase it for most of that time. He assured me that despite my symptoms my TSH was normal and that no doc in his right mind would increase my dose. Then I began reading your messages and other thyroid sites and decided that I needed a new doc. So I got one. This one referred me to an endo who told me that my thyroid levels were fine(my TSH was 1.08 at the time)and that I am actually suffering from depression because I'm a stay home mom and with three kids is it any wonder I'm tired!!! She did however, prescribe Armour 1 grain to humor me, warning me that it was unreliable, less effective and that there was a risk of contracting mad cow disease since it's derived from cattle thyroid. A disappointing consultation which cost me $300. I will not be going back there.

Since taking the Armour I'm feeling substantially better, but wondering if that could just be the placebo effect. Went back to my own doc for followup, he too tried to talk me out of taking the Armour, preferring to stick to his one size fits all approach(synthroid)
So right now my t3 & t4 are normal and myTSH is 3.899. Does anyone out there have any idea how I could be feeling so much better and yet have a higher TSH? Is it just the placebo effect? Is there actually a chance that I could feel close to normal if I found a doc who would increase my dose of Armour slightly considering my TSH is this high? How do I go about finding a doctor who's willing to tweak dosages until I'm feeling normal?

Would like to hear from anyone with answers and those without.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2004, 12:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
Re: Where do I go from here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taram
This one referred me to an endo who told me that my thyroid levels were fine(my TSH was 1.08 at the time)and that I am actually suffering from depression because I'm a stay home mom and with three kids is it any wonder I'm tired!!!
I hate it when they do that, assuming that they know what your life is like. Of course you are depressed and tired! But it istn' the kids that are the problem. You are depressed and tired because your doc doesn't know what is going on with your hormones and how to treat you!

Quote:
She did however, prescribe Armour 1 grain to humor me, warning me that it was unreliable
Strike one - Armour has proven more stable and reliable than the synthetics over the last several years, ESPECIALLy more stable than Synthroid nad Levoxyl.
Quote:
less effective
Strike two - Less effective for the doctor's wallet, maybe. Does the doc get kickbacks from the drug companies for spouting misinformation he can't back up? MANY of us can attest to the fact that Armour is just as effective for some and more effective for many. There are some who dont' tolerate Armour well, but they are a small minority. Armour isn't for everyone, but it IS effective.
Quote:
and that there was a risk of contracting mad cow disease since it's derived from cattle thyroid.
Strike Three! - I dont' believe that pigs carry Mad Cow disease, and even if they did, you would have as much chance getting it from Armour as you woudl from taking a bite of a ham sandwich. Where do they dig up this crap, anyhow?

Quote:
A disappointing consultation which cost me $300. I will not be going back there.
I don't blame you

Quote:
Since taking the Armour I'm feeling substantially better, but wondering if that could just be the placebo effect. Went back to my own doc for followup, he too tried to talk me out of taking the Armour, preferring to stick to his one size fits all approach(synthroid)
You are likely feeling better on Armour because of the T3 in it. You probably have more energy and better moods, and maybe noticed an effect within hours of your first dose.

Quote:
So right now my t3 & t4 are normal and myTSH is 3.899.
Never. I repeat NEVER accept "normal" as a lab result. Get the numbers and the lab ranges and post your results. This way a real interpretation can be made. The so-called normal range includes people who do not feel well, too.

Experts estimate that out of every 20 people, 4 have a thyroid problem. Out of those 4, only one of them wil lhave lab results that aren't normal. The other three won't necessarily feel any better than the "abnormal" one, but their docs will ignore them. It is possible to have "normal results" and not feel well, and this includes people on meds, too.

Quote:
Does anyone out there have any idea how I could be feeling so much better and yet have a higher TSH? Is it just the placebo effect?
TSH has NO direct correlation with symptoms. Symptoms are tied to T3 and T4 levels, so your Free T3 and Free T4 levels are far more telling as to what is going on in your body.

Quote:
Is there actually a chance that I could feel close to normal if I found a doc who would increase my dose of Armour slightly considering my TSH is this high?
Yes, but you woudl do even better to find a doc who will IGNORE TSH and treat to get your Free T3 and Free T4optimized. Ideally, target the middle of the lab range and tweak up slightly from there for most people to feel their best.

Quote:
How do I go about finding a doctor who's willing to tweak dosages until I'm feeling normal?
Post where you live (city or county and state only for privacy reasons) and maybe someone here will know of a good doc in your area.

Search Google or Yahoo for "Thyroid Support GRoup" and see if you find a local one or one in a neighboring area. Teh local groups often have access to doctor lists where they have reviewed docs that are good and ones to avoid.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 11-29-2004, 02:50 PM   #3
(male)

abigchocoholic HB User

The stuff you say a doctors are telling you is so assinine I have difficulty beleiving they are really saying that.

Seriously, you're just joking right?

Old 11-30-2004, 03:29 PM   #4
(female)

AmberCFo HB User

You may feel better because the Armour has T3 as well as T4 whereas the Synthroid is only T4, at least that's what this article says:

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/publicawareness/l/bloprahletters.htm

Old 12-01-2004, 08:18 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abigchocoholic
The stuff you say a doctors are telling you is so assinine I have difficulty beleiving they are really saying that.

Seriously, you're just joking right?
Probablly not joking. you would be surprised at the stories I have heard about what doctors think and do sometimes. Fortunately, there are more mediocre and good doctors than bad ones.

A number of doctors believe that Armour is made from cow thyroid or sheep thyroid rather than pork, but we can blame it largely on propaganda from the drug companies.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Closed Thread