It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2004, 04:13 PM   #1

phu13 HB User
parathyroid disorders

Is there anyone with "parathyroid" issues?

Old 11-29-2004, 05:14 PM   #2

ldolson HB User
Re: parathyroid disorders

I have a couple of adenomas but my levels of calcium and PTH are still normal. The doc is keeping an eye on it. There is is a lot of info out there on hyperparathryoidism. The parathyroids are not related to your thyroid at all except that they are usually in the same area of the neck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2004, 09:29 PM   #3

rebekkabobekka HB User

Hiya,
I had my thyroid removed, and my parathyroids transplanted into the muscles in my neck, but.... it didn't take and I have since lost all functions of my parathyroids...leaving me to take a calcium suppliment along with my synthroid forever....What is wrong with your parathyroids?
Bekka

Old 11-30-2004, 01:36 PM   #4

phu13 HB User

I have had a complete work up for hyperparathyroidism starting w/multiple labs, sestamibi scan, ultrasound & CT scan. I am told that I have an ectopic parathyroid adenoma in my left mediastinum. Surgery is recommended by a parathyroid surgeon (best in the immediate area) and I've also met w/an endocrinologist who essentially agrees. The surgeon plans to work w/a thoracic surgeon to try a minimally invasive procedure. He would make a small incision beneath my left breast and use a thorascope. He's performed this surgery 4x (successful 3 out of 4). No one is pushing me to have surgery. I can opt to just be monitored w/frequent calcium level checks and bone density scans. I have osteopenia which may be typical for a woman of 52. My monthly calcium checks have been high "normal." In reading in depth about this topic, I am tempted to go ahead w/it because it may relieve my frequent vague aches & pains and improve my energy overall. Allowing for my age and menopause, the physicians think I could feel 50% better than I do now, maybe more. I am healthy otherwise and if the adenoma were in my neck behind the thyroids (the usual location) I would probably be done with it by now. I really hope I "stumble" upon someone who's had the procedure. It's still invasive no matter what.
Also, anyone know a good endocrinologist in the Boston area. I have had elevated Prolactin levels in the past and I may want a second endocrine opinion overall. Thanks!

Old 12-03-2004, 05:30 AM   #5

phu13 HB User

Idolson,
How were the adenomas initially discovered?

Old 12-03-2004, 05:32 AM   #6

phu13 HB User

Rebekkabobekka,
I don't know if I'm posting correctly. Did you see this reply?

I have had a complete work up for hyperparathyroidism starting w/multiple labs, sestamibi scan, ultrasound & CT scan. I am told that I have an ectopic parathyroid adenoma in my left mediastinum. Surgery is recommended by a parathyroid surgeon (best in the immediate area) and I've also met w/an endocrinologist who essentially agrees. The surgeon plans to work w/a thoracic surgeon to try a minimally invasive procedure. He would make a small incision beneath my left breast and use a thorascope. He's performed this surgery 4x (successful 3 out of 4). No one is pushing me to have surgery. I can opt to just be monitored w/frequent calcium level checks and bone density scans. I have osteopenia which may be typical for a woman of 52. My monthly calcium checks have been high "normal." In reading in depth about this topic, I am tempted to go ahead w/it because it may relieve my frequent vague aches & pains and improve my energy overall. Allowing for my age and menopause, the physicians think I could feel 50% better than I do now, maybe more. I am healthy otherwise and if the adenoma were in my neck behind the thyroids (the usual location) I would probably be done with it by now. I really hope I "stumble" upon someone who's had the procedure. It's still invasive no matter what.
Also, anyone know a good endocrinologist in the Boston area. I have had elevated Prolactin levels in the past and I may want a second endocrine opinion overall. Thanks!

Sorry if it's redundant.

Old 12-03-2004, 05:26 PM   #7

ldolson HB User

Mine were discovered when I went in for an ultrasound of my neck to check to see if I needed a biopsy of my thyroid. They showed two, possibly three adenomas and enlarged lymph nodes. My blood tests were normal, however I read online that you are supposed to fast for these tests and I was not told to. When I recently had surgery to remove a part of my trachea, my calcium levels were pretty high. I am planning on discussing this with my ENT on the 14th.

Old 10-03-2006, 04:59 PM   #8
(female)

2jen HB User

Hi!! I am 21 years old and my parathyroid isn't working, and I have been diagnosed with hypoparathyroidism. Starting in April I got really sick, had a ton of joint pain, was really tired, and felt really dizzy. I also dropped a ton of weight, and wasn't gaining it back. I was sent to a rheumatologist where I was tested for rheumatoid arthritis and lupus, and a bunch of other things. My calcium was really low, and the doctor couldn't figure out why so he sent me to an endocrinologist.

THe endocrinologist diagnosed me immediatly based on the blood work that my previous doctor had taken, my calcium was really low and my parathyroid hormone was really low too. He started me on 750 mg of calcium 3 times a day and calictrol (I think thats what its called). Since I have been taking these medications I have felt a lot better. Unfortunately I also was diagnosed with Addisons disease and found out that my pituitary gland is partially not working.

Last edited by 2jen; 10-03-2006 at 05:02 PM.

Old 10-03-2006, 11:17 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User

There is a Dr. down in Florida that is the one that perfected the minimally invasive surgery for parathyroid. If you look under the osteoporosis part of this forum you will see people discussing hyperparathyroid and the surgery they have had. It seems to be talked about more there than here.

Closed Thread