It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2004, 10:30 PM   #1

Segue HB User
Bad Day, Bad Month, Bad Year

This started last february when I fell and hurt myself enough to force me to go to the doctor. I had stopped going to the doctor. Lots of trips for mystery symptoms yielded the same predictable results. Nothing. Until I fell - and I went to the doctor for the shoulder and hand I mauled. Doc was busy examining my shoulder and then froze and seroed in on my neck, instead. It was exactly that move that made my hair stand on end and felt a sudden surge of panic. WHAT?!?

He didn't answer me for almost 10 minutes. It felt like a lifetime. The mass he saw in my neck was "soft". He ordered a blood work up. His office called me the next day to inform me that I had an appointment - oh - as soon as I could get there to see the endo on staff.

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroid disease. Mystery symptoms explained. But as all of this was going on - my mom had a stroke and I ended up hightailing it back to my hometown. I got home only a few days before she passed away.

Before I left - I talked to my internist at length. He laid out every option I had. RAI was contra-indicated because I am allergic to iodine. The mecication was contraindicated because I have a tendency to get infections. I want to hear more on that. I want to know more about that. Because that left me with the third option - surgical excision.

Fast forward to today. I finally went to see my internist here. He told me what this surgery could do to me. I FREAKED.

I have been struggling to find a job, struggling with my mother's death, struggling to come to terms with this thing. I'm hearing - you can lose your voice, lose the use of a lung. Is this real?

I left - went to go to a store (which was closed) and popped my head inside another store to find out what time it was. Because of this, I lost my car. It was booted.

I am really sad. Really scared. Really angry.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2004, 10:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User
Re: Bad Day, Bad Month, Bad Year

I'm so sorry that this has been this kind of year for you, I'm not sure how old you are but it's not fair that you should have to go through so much. Both of my parents are still living thank the Lord, and I am not sure how I would react to the stress of one of them dying. I don't want to put my beliefs off on you, but it helps me to think that death is not final, but just another door to go through. I had a complete thyroidectomy because of thyroid cancer, but my doctor did not to my recollection tell me about the lung and voice thing, but when I woke up after surgery the first thing they wanted me to do was try to whistle! LOL did think that very strange request. I think that the voice and lung thing is very rare and have never met anyone who had the surgery that this happened to. Maybe you should rephrase your post and ask the people on this board about it. It may set your mind at ease. One thing I can tell you about my surgery is that it was the easiest surgery I ever had. I was never in much pain either. But I have had several abdominal surgeries (unrelated to thyroid) and those hurt! Please take a deep breath and get some rest from your stress and I will say a prayer for you. Best wishes

Old 11-30-2004, 06:27 PM   #3

Segue HB User

I think the boot on my van (for nothing) kind of tipped me over the edge yesterday. I called the store that did this today, and they are now searching for my van so that they can spring it. We'll see what happens with that.

My doctor really doesn't mince things. It's one of the reasons that I like him, but right now it is also the reason that I hate him. I know when I have had time to do my fact finding mission, and I've had time to process all of this, I will be glad that he is upfront about both the benefits and risks of this kind of surgery. He did follow the statement by saying that he would look for a really good endo for me.

As far as my mother goes - I do try to look at it spiritually. If nothing else, I know she isn't suffering. She was given a gift, and died peacefully in her sleep. This is still pretty new though, and I think because of the suddeness - there are some days when I find it easier to accept than others.

I am glad to hear that you made it through your surgery so well.That is very reassuring to hear

I did rest up today. I needed it!

Old 11-30-2004, 08:57 PM   #4
(female)

Palynn HB User

Hi segue-
I'm new to the board and don't know much about thyroid testing and the numbers, but I have been thru the surgery. Had half my thyroid taken out over 20 years ago. For me, the worst part was not being able to hold my small son for approx a week. They were afraid he'd grab at the neck area because he was only 4 months old. But the surgery was relatively easy. No great pain afterward, just uncomfortable in the neck area for a few days. Wasn't all stitched up like Frankenstein like I thought I would be. My scar is hardly noticeable. People don't even notice it until I put my head back and show them. I've never heard of anyone losing their voice from thyroid surgery either, and I know quite a few other people who have had thyroid removed for various reasons. No surgery horror stories from any of them.
Good luck with everything and I hope you get your vehicle back soon!

Old 11-30-2004, 11:25 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

My heart goes out to you...Benzi. Please find a good surgeon. Ask around..do your research. You will feel more empowered. Don't rush into this..until you know exactly what to expect and what you are getting into. If you get all straightened out afterwards...you may be better than ever!

You can lose your voice. I did...and it came back gradually over six months. Did you know Rod Stewart had the surgery. He lost his voice...and back it came and when it did he cut another big selling album with his new voice. Mine is pretty nice now too...don't know about selling any records...but its not bad.

Preperation is key...perhaps find a counselor to sort of shadow you through all of this. You will need to start getting some solid support behind you.

You are going to have to take medication afterwards if you get the whole gland out...so if you are allergic to it, what does he plan on doing for you? I'd really like to know.

Good luck! You are more valiant than you know Benzi!

~S

Old 12-01-2004, 06:11 AM   #6

frogy HB User

I am sure it is very rare to have complications from the surgery. However, one of my closest friends, not only lost her voice she also had to breathe though a trachea for 6 months. After several surgeries her breathing is better now, but she has no voice at all. (She was only 28 when this happened) She is always very upset when people are not told the risks of the surgery. She was told afterward that it is a known possibility. She did have cancer and it had spread so, that makes the operation more complicated.

I had mine out many years ago. I am sure itís very rare to have complications, but a good doctor will tell you the risks up front. Itís important that you know what you are getting into.

Old 12-02-2004, 09:48 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

Yes I think you are lucky to have a doctor who tells the whole truth as I said I don't remember anyone telling me what could happen. I look at it this way I am a type I person (kinda edgey) and IF he had told me, I might have worked myself up into God know's what kind of frenzy! But if I had lost my voice and not known it could happen I would have been hopping mad at him for not telling me. Lucky for the surgeon and myself everything turned out fine. I don't think that this is the way it should be approached though. You have a right to know what can happen! Butttttttttttttt sure glad my doc did not tell me. LOL Go figure I can't decide which way I want the truth but I think I like mine with lots of sugar and cream.

Closed Thread