It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2004, 08:28 AM   #1

music120 HB User
Question Stupid Question of The Day!

OK, this is a hypothetical question that I have been thinking about a lot. First, some background on me, I have had my thyroid completely removed due to cancer. I had treatment and currently take Synthroid and everything is fine. But let's say, hypothetically of course, that I am stranded on a deserted island, or there is a natural disaster or war that knocks out the infrastructure for a long time, or civilization collapses, or it's the end of the world or something crazy like that and I am unable to get more meds. . .what would one do in that case? I know that it is unlikely, but I keep wondering what someone without a thyroid could do if there were no meds available for an extended time. Is there some natural way to get through or would you be completely plain out of luck? Anybody know???

Old 11-30-2004, 08:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lucky charms HB User
Re: Stupid Question of The Day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by music120
OK, this is a hypothetical question that I have been thinking about a lot. First, some background on me, I have had my thyroid completely removed due to cancer. I had treatment and currently take Synthroid and everything is fine. But let's say, hypothetically of course, that I am stranded on a deserted island, or there is a natural disaster or war that knocks out the infrastructure for a long time, or civilization collapses, or it's the end of the world or something crazy like that and I am unable to get more meds. . .what would one do in that case? I know that it is unlikely, but I keep wondering what someone without a thyroid could do if there were no meds available for an extended time. Is there some natural way to get through or would you be completely plain out of luck? Anybody know???
I hate to say this , but we would probably be out of luck : (
Oh by the way its not a stupid question ..Ive thought about stuff like that myself..lol take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2004, 08:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

The "natural way" and the way that was discovered long ago, was that people with goiter would eat sheep thyroid gland an this made them feel better. Later, pork became more popular and now we have dried pork thyroid pills (Armour, Westhroid, Naturethroid, etc.).

If society were to collapse and our pills to run out, survival would depend on getting thyroid gland from animals like what was done long ago. Without it, eventually all the hypothyroid symptoms would return and continue to worsen. This would lead to coma, and eventually, death due to congestive heart failure.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 11-30-2004, 08:40 AM   #4
Inactive

hypodude HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by music120

Well...you would probably die eventually. Before dying, you would be so hypothyroid you would not know where you are as your systems start to shut down (I would imagine).

However, in a real emergency and completely going off the deep end here, you could theoretically kill a bunch of pigs, cattle, cats, dogs or other animals that have thyroids and eat the thyroid to get your required hormone.

How much thyroid you would need to eat, I have no clue, but it will work.

In the old days, many folks were turning very hyper thyroid because the slaughter houses were using everything in the ground beef, including the thyroid tissue. Once they discovered what was causing the problem, they of course stopped using the gland in their beef.

Same thing as Armour....ground pig guts pretty much. It is of course mixed in multiple batches so they get a consistent dose for medicinal purposes, but essentially it ground up pig thyroid.

I would guess, if the world were coming to an end and you had the nards to do it, you can eat the thyroid of the recently dead as well and that would supply you with what you need.

I do not however, suggest cannibalism to get your thyroid hormone. The drug store is a much easier route.

Last edited by hypodude; 11-30-2004 at 08:41 AM.

Old 11-30-2004, 09:00 AM   #5

music120 HB User

Hey, thanks to all for the excellent replies! I know the question was a little off the deep end. LOL! It all started when I recently saw the Tom Hanks movie Castaway (I think that's the title) where his plane crashes and he ends up on an island by himself. Of course I was watching and thinking what I would do in his situation. Then it hit me that I would be in big trouble without my med bottle and a corner drugstore for refills! I had to go off my meds during treatment for 6 weeks and by the 5th week, I was a real mess. I couldn't imagine going longer. . .but cannibalism is out of the question! LOL!!!

Thanks again!

Last edited by music120; 11-30-2004 at 09:02 AM.

Old 11-30-2004, 09:06 AM   #6

JustKoz HB User

Rotflmao!!!

Old 11-30-2004, 09:39 AM   #7
(female)

BonBe HB User

darn good question.... (that is the way my mind works most often) hahha my addition would be if we had to slaughter a bunch of piggies (providing our island had the population) would we not be overrun with pork products, and then we would have to start our own gourmet porkpalace! (minus thyroids) we would have to have Mr. Meep on board, to do the mixing me thinks.

But yes that would be a terrible predicament to get into...no thyroid meds. could we fiddle around with fish from ocean? do they have nutrients like that? or is it only mammals in the porcine family?

Seriously
Bonnie

Old 11-30-2004, 10:23 AM   #8
Veteran

mintchocolate HB User

Has anyone read "The Stand" by Stephen King? It is the only S. King book I've read, it came out a while back where most of the population in the world dies from a virus produced in a lab. The story is about the few survivors. I always thought that if something like that happened I would be a survivor. Since I've been on replacement hormones I know I would not last unless I get enough pills to survive, and then I wondered the how long is the shelf life after the expiration date? No, it is not a dumb question. I think we all have thought about it.

Let's make a deal, if something like that happens, we should all make a pilgrimage to where the pills are produced, and between all of us we can figure out how to start producing them again. We may have to learn how to restore electricity like they did in the book, etc. etc. Now, I am going into the deep end!

Thanks for asking the question, it shows that there is no stupid question in this board.

Mintchoc

Old 11-30-2004, 10:52 AM   #9
Inactive

hypodude HB User

I still like the idea of eating animal thyroid. BTW...I actually looked into it and fish DO have thyroids so we would be all set as long as we can find the fishes thyroid (Do they have necks?).

I would imagine that with all the salt water and iodine in the water, a fish thyroid would be very hard to regulate in a human if even possible at all.

Maybe we can all contribute to start a trend..."Hypodude's Italian Thyroid Restaurant"

We can come up with funky foods in the event their is ever a run on thyroid meds....

Fillet of Thyroid
Thyroid Scalapini
Butterfly Thyroid in Alfredo Sauce
Saute of Thyroid with Mixed Greens

I guess if we were desperate enough we would figure something out. There's gotta be something in nature that mimicks the thyroid hormones....its just a chemical compound is all...

Here's Synthroid:
C15 H10 I4 N Na O4 H2O

It simply requires a dose of Fluoranthene, Hydrogen, Iodine, Sodium, Oxygen and Water...no problem....

fluoranthene
1. a white crystalline hydrocarbon c15h10, of a complex structure, found as one ingredient of the higher boiling portion of coal tar.

Old 11-30-2004, 11:01 AM   #10
(female)

BonBe HB User

sounds like most everything is available..... we can hope for a rich coal deposit that has not quite compressed into a diamond mind. Must study the anatomy of fishes to find that neck....maybe it is in the tail end? well, everyting is controlled by something or another..... maybe some ocean dwelling plant who knows the world is ours to explore!

I am still concerned about the excess porkchops that would be in need of preserving.....

Bonnie

Old 11-30-2004, 11:22 AM   #11

LynnHan HB User

lol....I say start stockpiling NOW! ~ Just think how peaceful it would be though...no stress...and if you had to kill just for the thyroid gland, look at all that food. Besure to pack the barbaque sauce. lol...and some cards. ...oh, and your knife....and some toilet paper.....and.....

Old 11-30-2004, 11:30 AM   #12
(female)

BonBe HB User

imagine....what would happen if we merely performed thyroid-ectomies on the little porkers..... can they do without their thyroid? the excess of chops and ribs would def be overwhelming. Dessicated pig thyoid, we could hang it on on vines or on rocks and let the sea breezes naturally dehydrate it.

It is a funny proposal to be sure...but does strike home if there ever is a real live shortage of either pig thyroid, or the synthetic, (if the drug companies went belly up) what would they do for all the people who need variouis medications. Gee boggles the mind.

along with BBQ sauce and buns!!! let us not forget the 'slaw'

Bonnie

Old 11-30-2004, 12:18 PM   #13
Inactive

hypodude HB User

hysterical....pig thyroidectomies.....maybe we can just give them partial T-ectomies so they can function and mate for future thyroid gland hoarding.

An island full of hypo pigs running around stuttering, banging into things, dropping stuff, forgetting where they put their keys.....

Old 11-30-2004, 12:43 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

...cold little hooves..dry itchy pigskin..stuffed up snouts! LOL!!! Too funny!

Old 11-30-2004, 12:46 PM   #15
(female)

BonBe HB User

also least we (not all of us) can contest.... they will be rolly poly little piggies not ready for market. Little "Babes" all of them. I like the idea of partial t-ectomies.... sleeping all day piggies, and not getting much fun out of Pilates that is for sure.

Closed Thread