It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2004, 11:29 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User
chest pain

Hi guys- hyperthyroid 27 yr old here.

I started having chest pains. They hurt all in the upper chest, feels like someone is sitting on me, hard to breathe, feel sick to my stomach...hurts bad....what is up!? It comes for a minute or 2 goes away for few - comes back. Doesn't hurt to take a deep breath nothing like that- just feels like I said someone is sitting on me, my throat feels tight...and it hurts.
While this started i was sitting on the couch watching tv. I have not done anything active.

Last edited by AprilPow; 11-30-2004 at 11:30 AM.

Old 11-30-2004, 11:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: chest pain

Oh April, bless your heart. I had that when I had graves disease. Very scary situation. I never told the doctor about it. "silly me".

I would give the doctor a call. Don't mean to sound bossy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2004, 11:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

What do you suppose it is? just my muscles??

Old 11-30-2004, 11:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

I am sorry I really don't know for sure. When I went to an endo for the first time when the graves was in full force, she asked me if I had been having chest pains. I said no. That was really dumb of me. It could be the heart overworking. Cause hyper speeds everything up.

Do you think you could check into a hospital close by? That is really nothing to delay. I don't want to scare you. Don't be dumb like I was?

Old 11-30-2004, 12:06 PM   #5
Inactive

hypodude HB User

I agree...you don't want to mess with that...let thewm know everything you have been doing and they'll give you an EKG and some blood work to make sure your heart is ok. I just went in august for a similar problem...thyroid storm...was freaking out...EKG was fine and it made me feel better afterwards.

If you do go, try to go before rush hour when the ER gets busy....get in and get out if possible. I went during rush hour at 5pm and did not get home until almost 1 am.

Old 11-30-2004, 12:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

It feels a bit better now. I can feel it lurking, but I wouldn't say it's painful.

Should I still worry? I called my endo, but who knows when He will call.

Thanks everyone for the input, it's appreciated.

April

Old 11-30-2004, 12:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

OOOh I am glad it has eased up. If you have a caring endo, he should call back soon since your case seems to be an emergency.

I did have chest pains when I had graves. It was scary. I don't know what I was thinking? Should have called the doc or something. Guess I was not in my right mind with the graves. Kind of like hypo brain fog. Only yours is hyper brain fog LOL

My blood pressure was high with the graves? That is why they put me on beta blockers. And, to slow the rapid heartrate down.

I know you are taking beta blockers. I remember you saying you have some.

Hopefully your doc will call.

Old 11-30-2004, 01:01 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

No call yet, he isn't good with calling back.

Yes, I am on beta blockers. I should get them increased but they make me really tired.

I will let you guys know. I really don't want to go to the ER til I talk to my doc.

Thanks!
April

Old 11-30-2004, 01:03 PM   #9
Veteran

mintchocolate HB User

When I started Armour for the first time I had chest pains, I did not mentioned it to my doctor (I think it was a mistake not to). The warnings that come with the prescription include "call your doctor if you experience chest pain". The pain went away after a few weeks but maybe I needed to increase dosage slower.

Call your doctor, if it persists.

Mintchoc

Old 11-30-2004, 02:25 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Ginger9708 HB User

Hi,
I know how you feel. The first thing is to get checked out. I have always had chest pain, but the doctors says its more like chest wall pain, muscle pain, or even costochondrities which will give you a feeling like your having a heart attack. I know its very upsetting that know one can find anything wrong with me. I've had stress test, echocardiogram, etc... I've even been told that its anxiety which sometimes if Im under extreme stress will give me the tightness in the chest area.

Old 11-30-2004, 02:38 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh those darn doctors. Guess their just busy huh? Seems like the doc would have his nurse call you or something.

Old 11-30-2004, 04:05 PM   #12
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

He called..."If you were 60 I'd tell you to go to the ER but since you're 27, it's highly unlikely to be your heart". If it happens again I should call him back to get seen. He said its probably muscle related.

April

Old 11-30-2004, 04:26 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Possibly muscle related??? Okay, I guess the doctor can see whats going on inside of you without his stethescope. Does that make sense to me, sorry but NO? It does not matter how old you are?

Chest pains can be serious and maybe not. How do we know?

Sorry, I am just throwing my two cents worth. Hope you get to feeling better.

Old 11-30-2004, 05:17 PM   #14
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

Yeah, I know. I feel that way too. I am trying to ride it out with this doc to see how he treats me when I am hypo. The city I live in is tremendously huge, so I don't want to go switching yet. I only have a small list to choose from!

My thoughts were it's uncommon, but not unheard of at 27. If it happens again though, I will just go to the ER. At least then they can run a hundred tests instead of just 1 or 2 the endo would do!

April

Old 11-30-2004, 06:58 PM   #15
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

Hi April,
I can relate with how you're feeling. I have had severe chest pressure off and on for over a year now along with constant shortness of breath. It started around the time I had my thyroidectomy in July 03 and now it's worse than ever. I'm only 25 and ended up having every cardiac test imaginable...including a cardiac cath. So, now atleast I can rest assured that my heart is fine. At this point, I think it all has to do with my thyroid meds and anxiety.

I would definately atleast have an EKG done and maybe a chest x-ray to give you piece of mind. I ended up going to the ER a few different times when these symptoms first started because I was sure I was having a heart attack.

Best of luck,
Hilery

Closed Thread