It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2004, 05:53 PM   #1
(female)

Sherriof WV HB User
Talking Hi, I'm new, would like to talk

Hi everyone, I have hypothyroidism on top of the problems I have from my mother taking DES when she was preg with me. I would like to get some advice from anyone that also has gone/or is going thru hypo.

Last edited by Sherriof WV; 11-30-2004 at 05:55 PM.

Old 11-30-2004, 07:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Hi, I'm new, would like to talk

Welcome to the board.
A lot of us... maybe most of us.... are hypo. Some are in treatment, some are still trying to get diagnosed and need help with that.
Since you don't have a specific question, and since the subject of hypoT is gigantic... I'll direct you to our two 'sticky' threads at the top of the subject page.... "Information Archive" and "Let's post our stories... ". You'll find a lot of information, recommended reading, and advice there.
When you do have specific questions, we'll do our best to help you out with them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2004, 08:52 AM   #3
(female)

Sherriof WV HB User

Thanks midwest1, thanks for the info. I am also reading what everyone is writing on the subject and replying on some. This is very interesting and I'm glad that I'm not alone in this. Very happy to have found this board and will continue to interact with you all. Thanks again and good health to all. Sherriof WV

Old 12-02-2004, 09:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

Are you taking medication for this?

Old 12-02-2004, 01:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Just wanted to pop in and say...Welcome to the boards! you will find great support and info here and a wonderful group of people who know exactally what you are facing when it comes to the thyroid.

Old 12-02-2004, 02:51 PM   #6
(female)

BonBe HB User

ditto ditto ditto welcome to the boards. everyone here is splendid and always willing to listen, and to help you in any way we can.

Bonnie

Old 12-02-2004, 04:06 PM   #7
(female)

LovesTeaching HB User

Welcome, Sherriof WV!

Old 12-03-2004, 08:01 AM   #8
(female)

Sherriof WV HB User
Smile Re: Hi, I'm new, would like to talk

Hi Benzi and Dea4, thanks for replying. To answer your question Dea4, yes I am on meds....TOO MANY for my liking. The DES(which was taking by my mom to stop the chance of miscarriage) cause me not to ovulate. The rest works but no eggs come down. So far I can not pin point anything else to DES. The HypoT has me on Levothroid 25mcg. AND since the hypoT has other influences I am also taking Zestril 10mg for the high blood pressure ( which was low until the starting of hypoT) and Pravachol 20mg to lower my cholestrol ( which was also low before this) and Zoloft 50mg because of stress I guess and then Nexium 20mg for the acid relux. Unreal. My goal is to be able to find the correct cocktail for the thyroid, get the weight off (80 pounds) and to get off the other meds. I am also on Ortho Cyclen so I have periods that are livable. During my research, I am finding out that just about all my problems lead back to the HypoT......so if I can control that I will be controlling the rest. Thanks for your question. Sherriof WV

Old 12-03-2004, 08:17 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Sherri,
I hope you've just begun to take Levothroid and are having regular increases in the dose. The amount you're taking is enough to suppress your own gland's function, but not enough to replace the deficit that results. The end result is that your body has less hormone than it used to have before taking anything.

I had a stupid primary doc who wanted to treat each of the symptoms you have... HBP, acid reflux, cholesterol, etc.... But he refused me a hypoT screening test! Once I found a decent MD and began taking a therapeutic dose of thyroid hormone, all the other problems went away. Yours probably will too.... without the use of all those chemical agents.
Just make sure your doc knows what he's doing with your thyroid; I'm doubtful he does, because so many others don't either.

Old 12-03-2004, 09:11 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

When was the last time your TSH ect... was tested that 25mcg is a very low dose are your labs coming back good?

Old 12-03-2004, 11:10 AM   #11

LynnHan HB User

Sherri,

I'm obviously going to be considered the female hormone QUEEN on this particular board, because in my mind all female conditions lead to the same road. Hormones.

I hope that I'm NOT being continually "redundant" on this board, at least to the point that I'm annoying. BUT, recently I've been undertaking bioidentical hormone replacement therapy. Not only to support my thyroid, but my female cycle and a whole host of other "conditions", such as depression and weightloss and pre diabetic situation that I'm sure IF I maintained the road I'm on would eventually turn into diabeties.

You, like so many of us, could very well be "estrogen dominant" where your body produces too much estrogen and not enough progesterone. Progesterone is important and essentical for ovulation.

May I make a recommendation that you contact a local compounding pharmacy and give them a call and explain your situation...they are generally extremely helpful and knowledgable. They could guide you in suggestions of where to turn or what you can do?

I'm personally, currently on the VERGE of this therapy myself. After MUCH research on this I'm EXTREMELY convienced that this is INDEED the BEST ROAD for not only myself, but A GREAT DEAL of us woman who'm are suffering!

But, it's going to have to require you to think "outside the box" of convientional medicine and have an open mind and be willing to investigate and begin to understand information that at first isn't familiar. Its very achieveable...but don't look for MOST Dr's to help you understand this...because THEY don't even understand it...and more then likely aren't going to bother.

Old 12-04-2004, 06:52 PM   #12
(female)

Sherriof WV HB User

I am really gettting alot from your responses !!Thanks so much. To answer your questions. I recently had a blood test on the TSH levels and will get the results on Thursday (the 16th) I will be sure to give you all the details of the appointment. I have been on this level for about 4 years, was all right until about 2 1/2 years ago. I know.....but don't we all tend to take care of everyone else before ourselves? So when I turned 40 ( a year ago) now I am 41. THIS IS MY TIME NOW. My family is behind me and are there for me (so far anyway). And I am determined to control and live my life. I have always had a very positive outlook in life,so this really bothers me cause I will feel like.. to hell with everyone one day and the next I am doing everything, washing clothes, making a full course Italian meal, attending my classes and volunterring at my daughter's school and still will have the energy to fool around with my hubby !! Together we will and can make them listen and we will get better !!
(at that time we will all meet at the beach and party!!) HA HA. Thanks again Sherri

Old 12-07-2004, 08:18 AM   #13
(female)

Sherriof WV HB User

HI guys !
Misha, thanks for the book to get. sounds like a great read and more info for my charts. To answer the question of if my TSH are coming back in the "good"....Yes so they say. For anyone: What is the good? I know it is different for everyone but what should I really be looking at with the results? Thanks Sherri

Closed Thread