It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2004, 08:24 PM   #1

miller01 HB User
does anyone have bloating?

I am wondering if any one else with thyroid problem has bloating problems. I am so bloated that I sometimes want to get a needle pin and "pop" the air out of my stomach, uterus, or whatever is bloated. Ever feel that way? Does it ever go away????

Old 11-30-2004, 09:23 PM   #2

Gazun HB User
Wink Re: does anyone have bloating?

I'm not sure if bloating has anything to do with thyroid, but I discovered I had a thyroid problem when I found out I have a lot of food sensitivities including gluten. I didn't realize how much bloating was going on until I changed my eating habits. When the bloating is really bad, my thyroid seems to be having a tough time, too. Maybe you should think about getting a food allergy test? I took a blood test and kept a food journal so I could reintroduce the "suspect" foods one at a time to confirm the blood test findings. It makes sense that things weren't working correctly - putting strain on my thyroid since I wasn't absorbing food correctly. I'm new on Armour and it seems to be helping the last "problems" I was having, but the majority of symptoms that I was having (coincidentally match up quite a bit with hypothyroid symptoms) were actually a result of food sensitivities. The good news is that you can minimize a lot of food sensitivities by eating correctly and taking supplements to "repair" damage done from the wrong foods. Hope this helps - Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2004, 10:52 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User
Re: does anyone have bloating?

Yes... I'm hypo-bloated whale. I can't wait to get some t3 rolling. I think it will take down some of the puffiness.

Bloating ages people...so we should try to get rid of it as soon as possible.

Gazun: you have the right idea. I was on Atkins before I got the t-gland ripped out and it kept me slim.

Once I get regulated...I plan on being very careful about sugar, starches, and breads again. I will eat many more fruits and oatmeal than I did on Atkins, because I want to be beautiful.

Old 12-01-2004, 07:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Oh yes the bloating!!! I had that when hypo was in full force for me. I looked like I was pregnant.LOL

I am still a little bloated.

Old 12-01-2004, 07:12 AM   #5
Inactive

hypodude HB User

I believe its actually edema (water retention) due to the fact that your heart uis not pumping as fast as it should be. For me with a wicked case of Hashi's, I can actually notice my ankles can "push in" a little and stay there with a thumb print for several minutes when Im hypo and then when I toggle to Hyperland, the skin on my ankles is very close to the bone with no water under the skin...it also looks much healthier.....so yes, it certainly is the Hypo.

Old 12-01-2004, 07:39 AM   #6

mom2alliandmatt HB User

I have Hashi's and I am bloated too. Some days are worse than others.

Old 12-01-2004, 09:17 AM   #7

miller01 HB User

Thanks for your replies. I am NOT the only one then.

Where woulds I go for food allergy testing? Allergist? Nutristionist?

Can x-rays prove anything in this area? I am begining to think there is something physically wrong with me. Aging...hummmmm...I need to get rid of the bloating ASAP...I already feel older than I am.

Last edited by miller01; 12-01-2004 at 09:19 AM.

Old 12-02-2004, 09:40 PM   #8

Gazun HB User
Smile Re: does anyone have bloating?

You can request an ELISA test (Enzyme Linked Immuno-Sorbent Assay). I didn't have any luck asking my internist or allergist, but I found a terrific Naturopath that was willing to have the tests run for me. The catch to running an ELISA test is that you should keep a food diary for at least 30 days to pay attention to when you feel good and when you don't. Then you run the tests and avoid the foods that you show signs of sensitivities. After about 3 weeks on the "restricted" diet, you re-introduce the suspected foods a little at a time to confirm the tests. Unless you're willing to take the time to use the journal, you won't get an accurate picture of your sensitivities. I found that even foods that I reacted to very mildly caused a severe reaction when reintroduced. Foods that I never suspected in the first place turned out to be the worse. REALLY made a difference. I brought my findings along with copies of all the instructions and supplements I was taking to my internist to confirm my naturopath's decision to try thyroid therapy. At that point my internist was really happy to find some solution to what we couldn't figure out and she was really supportive. Now both of them are working together to help me out. I still am working on food allergies. The ELISA test is different than a normal allergy test because it tests IgG and IgE. Most food sensitivities don't show up immediately like a skin allergy test. Hope this helps a little. I learned a lot about food allergies from a book called "The False Fat Diet" by Elson M. Haas, M.D. I don't necessarily agree with everything in the book, but it did explain the food sensitivity issue enough for me to know the right questions to ask.
Take care,
Johanne

Closed Thread