It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2004, 11:11 PM   #1
(female)

blueyesnc29 HB User
Question Hypo meds question

Hello, I am new to the board, but wanted to thank everyone for the great information and stories that you guys have provided. I have a question, does anyone know what will/can happen to you if you stop taking your meds. I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism 2 years ago and have taken my meds very well, but have run into some hard times and have not taken it for a while. Any info would be great. Thanks

Old 12-01-2004, 06:03 AM   #2
(female)

LucyPearl HB User
Re: Hypo meds question

Hi Blue. I'm sorry to hear that you're having hard times. I'm guessing you mean that maybe you aren't able to afford the meds you need or perhaps don't have insurance to help out. I've been there before. To answer your question about what will happen...well...it's not good because usually hypothyroidism never goes away. It can go into remission and sometimes does, but usually it's there and very present. If left untreated, it will only get worse and that's the truth! It did for me. About 10 years ago I was inbetween jobs and had no insurance and just couldn't afford to buy the meds for several months. I was so sore, stiff, ached all over, my voice sounded like a man's voice, my hair was dry, brittle, and falling out and I felt like I wanted to just die! Do you have a public health clinic in your area? If so, please look into going there for help to see a doc and get your thyroid meds. That's what I finally did. If you know what dosage of meds you were taking, you might consider writing the pharmacuetacul (sp) company of the meds you were taking and explaining your situation. They HAVE been know to provide meds to indigent pts - I work at a medical clinic for the homeless and uninsured and I know this for a fact. Do whatever you have to do to get your meds and see a doc because your quality of life will deminish greatly without the meds.
Good Luck to you.
LucyPearl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2004, 06:05 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Sorry to hear you're having troubles.
If you stop taking your thyroid hormone while your body isn't making enough of its own, you'll eventually start having symptoms which will gradually get worse and worse. If you never start taking the med again, the lack of hormone could eventually contribute to heart disease, dementia, even possible death. The worst case scenario would likely take decades to occur, though. I don't want to scare you, but this is the truth.

The med is really pretty cheap as meds go... I guess it's the doctor visits that would be the biggest problem for you? Maybe there is a community free clinic you could get into for the visits; most drug thyroid manufacturers have programs to provide reduced-cost or free meds.

Hope you can find a way to get treatment again. Not having it will considerably affect your quality of life - if not now, eventually.

Old 12-01-2004, 06:32 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

Midwest is right. There are programs to help people in tight financial situations, and sometimes the drug manufacturers will even provide the medication for free. Do a google search for free medication program or something similar and you'll get lots of leads. Add the name of your state to the search and narrow it down to more local programs, if you need to, but the broader search is probably better since the programs are often nationwide.

Needymeds has a website that is VERY useful and informative and would be a good place to start. They have loads of resources and info on how to apply for these programs.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 12-01-2004, 07:08 AM   #5
Inactive

hypodude HB User

You know, the healthcare situation in this country just sucks and it really ticks me off to hear stories like this. There are so many people in this country popping pills like crazy compliments of health insurance becasue it give them a good buzz and here we have another example of someone that really needs meds to live and can't do it. Something has to be done.

I have "insurance" yet there's only 3 endos in my plan and 1 of them fired me and the other 2 only treat diabetes - or say they treat thyroid but only test for diabetes and push diabetes regardless of symptoms.

I pay $325 CASH that I don't have for a 40 minute consult with my current doctor cause my plan sucks and he's the only one that has actually helped me.

This country's health system needs a serious enema and the frivolous malpractice suits need to stop. Greedy Americans are ruining the state of healthcare for everyone. I just can't wait to see how the government handles the gorwing population of elderly in this country in 15 years. We're going to have sick elderly everywhere going untreated. It sickens me to the core.

Old 12-01-2004, 07:13 AM   #6
(female)

BonBe HB User

I agree, even here the meds are very low priced. If you were to get, say a one year prescription (we do here, and the pharmacy dispense it in 90 days quotas) but that is only one doctor visit to get the year long script.

With me I forgot to take my meds just for 3 or 4 days and by the last day I was totally fogged up and dizzy....did not know why, until I counted my pills and saw I have missed several...(I know a seniors moment I call it) though I am not quite a senior. I have been dx'd hypo now for 8 years and I should know better.

the aging 'baby boomers' will indeed have a tremendous impact on both our countries.... not even counting australia or UK or other countries.

Hope you are able to find a free meds plan.

Bonnie

Old 12-01-2004, 09:16 AM   #7
(female)

blueyesnc29 HB User

Thank you guys for your responses you have all given me some good ideas to look into, so things just may work out! Am gonna start looking and calling, you are right I sure do feel alot better w/my meds. Thanks Again

~Tammy~

Old 12-01-2004, 03:21 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

There are pharmacetical manufacturer websites where you can apply to their "indagent" program. All you need is a computer. I'd suggest surf over there right now.

Thats part of the reason I don't take a generic. The big boys can bail you out quicker if your hit a snag.

Good luck!

Closed Thread