It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2004, 08:11 AM   #1
(female)

Crazy4ever HB User
Best meds for Hashi's?

About 10 yrs ago I was told that my thyroid was slightly enlarged. I never had a problem with losing weight and had a huge appetite with out weight gain. I went to the doc about my heart skipping a beat and was told that I had elevated T4 levels but it was nothing to worry about. The doctors have repeatedly checked my thyroid and the results were always "normal". After having a lot of medical problems I started doing research and thought that I was hypothyroid. I finally found a doctor that doesn't think that I am imagining things. He has diagnosed me with Hashi's. I have been taking 50 mcg of levothyroxine for the last 4 months. I am still very tired all the time. By the end of the week I am so exhausted that I find it hard to function. Over the weekends, I sleep 12 hrs a day which is not normal for me at all. In the past, all I would need is 4-6 hours of sleep and I was good to go. Didn't really need an alarm clock either. After getting all that sleep over the weekend, I feel good on Monday but start declining after that.

I have read somewhere that Synthroid was made from trees. Is this true? If it is true than I have a problem. I am allergic to just about every kind of tree there is. I can't even eat walnuts because I am allergic to the black walnut tree and if I do eat them, my mouth and throat gets very itchy.

For those of you that have Hashi's, what medicine are you taking and how does it make you feel? I am thinking about changing meds but would like to hear your stories before making that decision.

Thanks,
Kathy L

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2004, 07:21 AM   #2
(female)

Crazy4ever HB User
Re: Best meds for Hashi's?

Just bumping myself up, hoping for a reply

Old 12-02-2004, 08:05 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4ever
I have been taking 50 mcg of levothyroxine for the last 4 months.
Is it Synthroid, or some other brand? I don't know the answer to your question about what it's made from; you can find that information on Synthroid's website, though. But I do know that Synthroid fails to help many of the people for whom it's prescribed. It made me hyper at the smallest dose. I now take Armour, and there's been no problem like that whatsoever.
If you read enough stories here, you'll find numerous accounts about how Armour - or one of the other brands of natural dessicated thyroid - has helped when levothyroxine alone hasn't.

Old 12-02-2004, 09:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

Quote:
About 10 yrs ago I was told that my thyroid was slightly enlarged. I never had a problem with losing weight and had a huge appetite with out weight gain. I went to the doc about my heart skipping a beat and was told that I had elevated T4 levels but it was nothing to worry about. The doctors have repeatedly checked my thyroid and the results were always "normal". After having a lot of medical problems I started doing research and thought that I was hypothyroid. I finally found a doctor that doesn't think that I am imagining things. He has diagnosed me with Hashi's. I have been taking 50 mcg of levothyroxine for the last 4 months. I am still very tired all the time. By the end of the week I am so exhausted that I find it hard to function. Over the weekends, I sleep 12 hrs a day which is not normal for me at all. In the past, all I would need is 4-6 hours of sleep and I was good to go. Didn't really need an alarm clock either. After getting all that sleep over the weekend, I feel good on Monday but start declining after that.

I have read somewhere that Synthroid was made from trees. Is this true? If it is true than I have a problem. I am allergic to just about every kind of tree there is. I can't even eat walnuts because I am allergic to the black walnut tree and if I do eat them, my mouth and throat gets very itchy.

For those of you that have Hashi's, what medicine are you taking and how does it make you feel? I am thinking about changing meds but would like to hear your stories before making that decision.

Thanks,
Kathy L
Synthroid is synthetic, but the fillers are as follows:
Quote:
Acacia, confectioner's sugar (contains cornstarch), lactose, magnesium stearate, povidone, and talc.
Acacia is from the Acacia tree, and is used to bind the parts of the pill together, so I guess it does have tree parts in it. I never thought of it that way.

Levoxyl might be a better choice for you. Here are the inactive ingredients in it:
Quote:
Microcrystalline cellulose, croscarmellose sodium and magnesium stearate.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 12-02-2004, 01:36 PM   #5
(female)

Crazy4ever HB User

Thank you midwest and meep for your reply. I think I really do need to change. I am also lactose intolerant! I have heard a lot about Armour and am thinking that this something that I would like to try. I have not felt any better taking the levothyroxine. I am still FAT, tired and have all the same symptoms as before. My skin is so dry that in the winter months it literally cracks and bleeds. It is very painful and nothing seems to help it. Lotion only irritates it and makes it burn!!! Not a good feeling.

I am to follow up with the doctor in January and will ask him at that time. Thanks again for your input.

Old 12-02-2004, 02:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

Quote:
I am also lactose intolerant!
That could be part of the problem...

Quote:
I have heard a lot about Armour and am thinking that this something that I would like to try. I have not felt any better taking the levothyroxine. I am still FAT, tired and have all the same symptoms as before. My skin is so dry that in the winter months it literally cracks and bleeds.
Or it could be that the dose of levothyroxine you are on is simply too low to be doing you any good. DO you ahve lab results that you can post to get an idea of where you stand?

Quote:
I am to follow up with the doctor in January and will ask him at that time. Thanks again for your input.
If you dont' have the lab results, see if your doc will schedule the labwork to be done now rather than at your office visit. That way, when you go in for the office visit, you will already have results to discuss and will have a more productive time wit the doc. Labs that you MUST have: Free T3, Free T4, and TSH.

If the doc refuses to do those tests, ask him to humor you and order them anyways. If that fails, be prepared to tell him that you need to know--in writing--what medical reason there is for denying these tests, so that you can share it with your insurance company. Have him make copies and keep a copy for himself. you get the original and another copy goes to your insurance company.

Be firm, calm, and professional in your approach. Keep your emotions in check, and you will be the one in power.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Last edited by Meep; 12-02-2004 at 02:19 PM.

Old 12-04-2004, 03:14 AM   #7
(female)

Crazy4ever HB User

These are my labs from 11-15-04. I was 12hrs fasting and no meds the morning of my tests. I had a long list of tests run at the same time.

TSH 2.074 - range .35 - 5.5
T4 6.8 range 4.5 - 12.0
T3 uptake 29% range 24-39
FT3 2.0 range 1.2-4.9
TPO 10 range 0-34
THYABS 38 range 0-40

I am scheduled for more labs about a week before my next appointment. I was the one that wanted to wait until after Christmas. There is so much going on here that I think I would be stressed and am afraid that it would skew my results.

I was reading a post on here about flax seed. I was taking flax seed oil caplets to help with my cholesterol. The fish oil is nasty. I kept burping and it tasted like I may have drank the water out of my fishtank. YUCK!!! I was also taking Vit B complex, selinium, vit C, garlic oil, alpha lipoic acid, Vit E and CoQ10 at the time of the lab work. I stopped taking it all and noticed that I do not feel quite as bad as before. Maybe it was the flax seed oil. This week I started back on the Selinium, Vit B complex and garlic oil. So far so good.

Old 12-04-2004, 12:12 PM   #8
(female)

suem HB User

Danny and kathy,
I think that microcrystalline Cellulose is also from wood.
If anyone finds out different let me know.
Mylan makes levothyroxine which is AB Rated to Synthyroid which
means it produces the same effects. Mylan has different fillers and is
does not have fillers with wood products according to my research.
suem

Closed Thread