It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2004, 07:27 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Keraly HB User
Meep/midwest1 - Trying One Last Time

Here is my response to your asking for exact numbers, Danny. Don't know if you saw my reply a week or so ago. Am not getting much response, and I have to wonder if it's because in the past some of the posters have almost seemed ANGRY with me for not going out and finding better doctors or approaches. Maybe they think it's pointless to answer me, because I don't "listen"? But the medical/insurance system mandates that we move slowly, and only down THEIR paths, unless we possess the money to go it on our own! One more time, and then I'll disappear and get out of everyone's hair! )

Dear Danny,

Thanks for all of the advice. Yes, I have the book you mention (Chris told me to get it; he also told me I should ask you about thyroid antibodies! ) He has been lots of help. I think Trav will have the adrenal antibodies test this coming Tuesday. Our endo wouldn't give it. In spite of his low aldosterone and adrenal symptoms, he started getting off track suggesting we explore depression before any more adrenal testing be done. I went to our primary care doctor, who is an osteopath (at Chris' suggestion), and she will do the adrenal antibodies test. If he happens to have these, it will easier for me get them to keep monitoring his morning cortisol, etc.

Here are the thyroid tests in total, even going back a while to his FIRST ever thyroid tests (those are all you wanted, right? and Chris gets the adrenal?):

TSH:

DATE RESULT RANGE

5/01/02 .749 mIU/mL .370 - 6.000

2/09/04 1.207 mIU/mL .370 - 6.000

7/01/04 1.926 uIU/mL .370 - 6.000

9/7/04 1.31 uIU/mL 0.35 – 5.50

T4:

5/01/02 5.3 mcg/dL 4.8 - 11.5

7/01/04 7.0 ug/dL 4.5 - 12.0

9/07/04 10.5 4.5 – 12.5

T3:

7/01/04 185 ng/dL 80 – 253

T3 UPTAKE:

9/7/04 38 25 – 35%

Anti-Thyroid Antibodies 7/01/04:

Thyroid Peroxidas (TPO) A = 30 IU/mL 0 - 34
Thyroid Antithyroglobulin Ab = <20 IU/mL 0 - 40

Thyroxine (T4) Free, Direct, S
T4, Free (Direct) = 1.13 ng/dL 0.92 – 1.57

Hope this all makes sense the way it's displayed, Danny. I will go on to look at the site you mention! Thanks for anything you can suggest. Yesterday was a downhill day for Travis. We have seen a little more energy in him since the Florinef, but yesterday he awoke shaky and then seemed "spent" throughot the rest of the day. Was in a cranky mood and just seemed weak and down and out. Haven't seen too many of these days lately. ~
Tracy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2004, 07:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Meep/midwest1 - Trying One Last Time

I'm sorry you haven't had a reply to your latest post, but I have to admit your concerns are much too complex for me to address.
I do sincerely hope you can solve your son's health problems without much more delay.

Old 12-01-2004, 09:40 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Bumping up...

Old 12-02-2004, 07:09 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Keraly HB User

Thank you, Midwest! It's okay if you can't help. I was just used to getting more feedback in my early days on this board, with regard to thyroid test results. But it sounds as if, while in the past some members thought his thyroid tests looked suspicious, now I am getting answers that seem to say they look fine. So maybe I can drop the thyroid as a cause of his symptoms. Another member just thought I should run it all by you and "MEEP". Danny answered my post before, but wanted me to post labs again. But then I wasn't sure if he ever saw my posted values, as there was no further communication. This is SUCH an active board, I can understand why every post can't always be answered! It's just a lonely path to walk (the pathway of no diagnosis), and there has been no one physically to walk it with. But I have lots of support (emotional) from my family and a few friends and from various members of different boards on the iinternet. I don't think ANYTHING can really make it bearable, except answers. I was just afraid people had gotten fed up with me, as in prior posts some members were almost "shouting" (using exclamation points and commands) telling me to HAVE THEM TEST THIS OR THAT!! And not to fool around or take my time about it. But I, of course, can't authorize medical tests, and finding a doctor who will DO the necessary tests has proven almost as hard as going on an African safari, hunting down a Zebra, and finding a way to bring him back to a US zoo! You must have knowledge, education and training, and you must have permission from various authorities! Take good care, and have a Happy Holiday. Me, I'll probably diappear again onto the Addison's board, where I think I belong (although I myself have just turned up with a 5.6 TSH and am now on Synthroid! Ironic, huh?) ~ Tracy

Last edited by Keraly; 12-02-2004 at 07:11 AM.

Old 12-02-2004, 08:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

His thyroid numbers actually look pretty good, though there is a great deal of variability in the T4 test over the months. This could indicate antibody activity, It woudl have been interesting to have seen antibody counts at every test, since those can change over time, too. I wouldn't rule out a thyroid problem at this point, but it is hard to justify putting him on thyroid hormone at the moment.

is he gettign plenty of Selenium? try 100mcg a day for a month, then drop back to 75 a day for maintenance and see of that helps.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 12-03-2004, 07:31 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Keraly HB User

Thanks, Danny. I was just reading about the Selenium within another group which I am a member of. Before this, I had never heard of it before! We'll just keep retesting every 6 mos. or so, or if any other symptoms develop. We are waiting for his adrenal antibodies test result to come back, yet I've heard you can't always depend upon THAT one, either. Maybe sometimes there is nothing to do but wait it out. I was just hoping I could speed up the diagnosis and treatment process so he wouldn't miss so much of his education and childhood activities AND so he wouldn't have to experience an actual adrenal crisis before being treated. It seems stupid to stand by and ALLOW an adrenal crisis to happen, if you know it's on its way, you know? But we'll keep a watchful eye on him and insist on some retests of morning cortisol and thyroid hormones, while we're at it. I guess there's nothing more we can do at this time. Thank you again. It's actually easier when you all agree with what the doctors say. But a few mos. ago, some thought it looked like he was having a problem. I just thought with the further tests, I'd get an even more definitive picture. I had noticed his TSH gradually increasing from 2002 at .7 to 1.927 in 2004, but then on the next test (not long ago) it was down a bit again, so maybe it was not a steady incline, but just a sporadic number that is changeable depending upon the time of day it is taken and other things. Mine was more obviously off at 5.64! Take good care, and have a Merry Christmas, if I don't happen onto this board for a while! ~ Tracy

Closed Thread