It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2004, 10:30 AM   #1
(female)

nimbeth HB User
Question Midwest- Question?

Hi

I noticed a prior post you said that you need to be "patient patient". How long should you wait until one should increase their meds?

I am on Armour 3/4 grain started out on 1/4 then 1/2 each dosing lasted a month. The doctor wanted to give me 1 grain but I am going to take 3/4 grain for a week or so then bump up to a full 1 grain. what do you think? A part of me thinks that I am not patient enough with the meds, that I am expecting to feel better like "now". Should I allow more time between dosing increases?

Here are my prior labs for your info.

TSH 1.35
Free T4 .96 Ref: .61 - 1.76
Free T3 2.9 Ref: 2.3 - 4.2

Thanks
Nimbeth

Old 12-01-2004, 12:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Midwest- Question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimbeth
I noticed a prior post you said that you need to be "patient patient". How long should you wait until one should increase their meds?
I can only speak in generalities, because a lot depends on the patient's age and heart condition. For a person of about 60-65 years, or of any age with a frail heart, dosages have to be started low and increased very slowly. But a younger, healthy person can be treated slightly more aggressively. It takes about 6 weeks for the T4 level to reach its peak for a blood test, and doses aren't usually increased without a blood test.... so most doctors usually operate on a 6-8 week schedule.

Your doctor seems kind of conservative in his starting dose, but that's ok. Mine was too. His 4-week increases are good because the dose was so small to start with. He likely wanted to see how you would tolerate the T3 in the Armour before moving up to a grain.
Your free hormones are still quite low, and I don't think moving to a grain now would hurt you... But if you want to use the gentler approach of going 1/4 grain at a time, that's ok too.

I don't want to discourage you, but don't expect to feel better "now". See, you must first reach your "optimal" dose... the final one that gets your free hormones in the best range for you. Only after that happens will all your cells begin to heal from the shortage of hormone they've been used to. Healing is a slow process for about 90% of the people in treatment. If you're like most, you'll feel better so gradually that 6 months from now it'll dawn on you how much better you'll feel then than you do at this moment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2004, 04:04 PM   #3
(female)

nimbeth HB User

Thank you very much Midwest. You put my worries at ease!

How long does it take somebody to go hyper with dose increases. Does it happen immediatiely or gradually over few days, weeks?

Thanks again
Nimbeth

Old 12-01-2004, 05:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User

And would your higher than usual temperature mean you're going hyper, before you have any of the other symptoms?

Last edited by Eagle; 12-01-2004 at 05:37 PM.

Old 12-01-2004, 05:46 PM   #5
(female)

nimbeth HB User

Hi Eagle

I think your directing your question to Midwest? But if I had to answer you I guess that if your temp. is rising above 98.6 that would that your hyper????

Closed Thread