It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2004, 10:47 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Question Question about thyroid meds?

As many know I have been selfmedicating because the doctor would not give me any meds even though I told them my hypoT symptoms.

I may be getting my insurance back and would really rather be treated by a doctor( just to be on the safe side

I would like to quit taking the Armour. Does anyone know how long it would take for your levels to go back down?When I get my bloodtests, I would like to show signs of being at least a little hypo. Hoping that the doc will put me on meds. Maybe try a little better persuasion to get meds. If you know what I mean.

Thanks

Old 12-01-2004, 11:40 AM   #2
Inactive

hypodude HB User
Re: Question about thyroid meds?

I would think with Armour you will start feeling the lack of T3 almost right away...a day or two....might take your TSH a week or two to catch up for testing purposes but I would think you will feel like crud in the meantime without meds. I would be careful with that....then you're going to have to go through the whole regulating thing again and ups and downs....sheesh...I would not want to deal with that, particularly if its of my own choice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2004, 12:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Yeah it is a hard decision. I am so afraid that when I get my bloodtests that my tsh will be 0.00, while on the meds. It was already suppressed the last time before taking Armour at 0.04. My t4 was low and I felt like CRUD.

Oh well I got myself in a pickle!! I will have to find a way out. Think I will just stop for a couple of weeks, then get the bloodtests. I know I cannot tell the doc what I am doing. He will have a hernia.

Thanks for your reply!!!

Old 12-01-2004, 02:58 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

Lady 50

I say your a gutsy lady for having the fortitude for trying to get well on your own. I'd think about taking a stab at honesty. ANYONE can wind up without medical insurance. ANYONE can be in your shoes at any time. Its totally understandable that you felt forced into the option you selected. I'm sure the doctors see this all the time, and part of their job is hear you out. Tell him how...this was something you suspected would work...you tried it...and stuck with it. You want to be responsible now that you fought for insurance and you want to follow through by allowing him/her some insight into your challenges. Why should you be ashamed of the system...you didn't invent this maze of blind alleys? You are only trying to be resourceful the same way ANYONE would.

Hey...its an idea that beats...messing with your chemistry. Tell him you want to be consistent. If you give him the chance...you may wind up delighted more than you think.

Good luck!

~S

Old 12-01-2004, 03:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I replied to your other post first. Thank you for explaining all that to me. It would be better to be honest. I just didn't want to get in trouble because it probably isn't legal to be ordering the meds.

I know a lot of other people that do on another thyroid group. It is so unbelievable how many that do that. So many people being undertreated.

Old 12-03-2004, 12:40 PM   #6

bigheadache HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady50
As many know I have been selfmedicating because the doctor would not give me any meds even though I told them my hypoT symptoms.

I may be getting my insurance back and would really rather be treated by a doctor( just to be on the safe side

I would like to quit taking the Armour. Does anyone know how long it would take for your levels to go back down?When I get my bloodtests, I would like to show signs of being at least a little hypo. Hoping that the doc will put me on meds. Maybe try a little better persuasion to get meds. If you know what I mean.

Thanks

I'm not understanding your situation exactly. Were you diagnosed as hypo by another Dr. and now your new Dr. wont prescribe you meds till he sees blood work to prove your hypo?

Or did you just feel your symptoms matched that of a hypo person and you decided to medicate yourself?

If you its the second one than your right where I am. I am definitly considering medicating myself. Me and my dr suspect thyroid problems however my levels are always normal. Therefor his hands are tied. So I will try medicating myself for 3 months to see if symptoms subside.

Old 12-03-2004, 12:52 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

I am thinking a week for the T3 to stabilize, 6 weeks for the T4 to stabilize, and TSH should follow those. The operative word is SHOULD.

On the other hand, what about going to the new doctor and saying "OK, here is what I am on, here are labs I have had done (if you have any)..." and leave it at that. Tell him you don't want his opinion clouded by anything that would be in previous doctor's notes in the charts, but that what you are on is working and you would like to continue down that path.

If your TSH is suppressed, let him know that you are being treated for SECONDARY hypothyroidisma dn that TSH simply does not reflect your thyroid levels. In that case, going by Free T3 and Free T4 woudl be the only way, anyways.

It won't hurt to ask, and that way, you don't have to come off the meds.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Last edited by Meep; 12-03-2004 at 12:55 PM.

Old 12-03-2004, 02:50 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Meep, that sounds like a great thing to do. This doctor that I have now. Well, I haven't seen him just his FNP. I told her all my symptoms during my appointment. Even faxed a letter to the doctor. They faxed a letter back saying this" Your TSH shows that you are getting plenty of circulating T4" Therefore, we cannot give you any meds at this time. There must be something else wrong with you, if you are still having symptoms"

I think my bloodpressure really went up at that time. LOL LOL I was thinking to myself "how dumb can they be?"

Do doctors think patients are stupid or what?

Old 12-03-2004, 05:20 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady50
Do doctors think patients are stupid or what?
Sadly, yes, but you have to realize that the average patient knows NOTHING aout how this works, they want a pill to fix it all, and be done with it.

The doctors are trained to do just that. One pill, T4-only fixes it all, right?

Old 12-03-2004, 05:44 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

LADY!!!

You know Lady50...I do understand how you are feeling. I kinda got a little of the same issues going on...but I do think Meep has it right.

Its awesome that you have done this for yourself...now don't kill yourself with worry. LOL I have to keep the same thing in mind..and I think a little fog is lifting for me.

I have only been asked what I am on and what my labs look like. NOT one DOC ever asked who ordered the labs or the meds or where they came from. That's why, I say you have nothing to lose by being honest. In the grand scheme of things...its only you that this matters to...and If you say you are feeling better and know what your on-going dosage is....that is what really counts.

If you say I'm taking 5 grains of Armour a day....and you feel great...who are they to argue. Their problem paitents are the ones who never get well...not the happy ones.

I've dragged bags of meds into the doctor's appointment I had purchased over the internet when I had no insurance. I told them...since the last doc coulnd't help I went looking for answers over the internet. What were they gonna do...Shoot me?
They never batted an eye.

I'm sure they see it ALL the time.

Good luck...and cheer up...LADY!

~S

Old 12-04-2004, 08:26 AM   #11

bigheadache HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigheadache
I'm not understanding your situation exactly. Were you diagnosed as hypo by another Dr. and now your new Dr. wont prescribe you meds till he sees blood work to prove your hypo?

Or did you just feel your symptoms matched that of a hypo person and you decided to medicate yourself?

If you its the second one than your right where I am. I am definitly considering medicating myself. Me and my dr suspect thyroid problems however my levels are always normal. Therefor his hands are tied. So I will try medicating myself for 3 months to see if symptoms subside.

I'm sorry maybe Lady50 missed my post?

Old 12-04-2004, 09:22 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yep I did miss your post sorry. This place gets busy.

I use to be hypoT and was on synthroid for years. Then, for some reason or another I got Graves disease. I took PTU (antithyroid drug). I was hypo most of the time on PTU because the doctor would look at my bloodtests and say
it is OKAY. I was actually hypo most of the time(thought it was menopause symptoms but it was actually hypo). I never knew till May(when I found these boards) that you just don't go by the bloodtests. You look at your symptoms etc.

Feb. 12th of this year I took the radioactive iodine. In July I went hypoT. Doctor told me to reduce the PTU. Instead I tapered it off. Since, I was so miserable. He did not put me on any t4 med because he was waiting to see how for my levels would go back up. I was kept miserable since July of this year. Actually been miserable for two years on PTU.

I would go back for bloodtests every 4 to 6 weeks. Told the doctor how miserable I was but he would not put me on any T4. meds. So, I found out you can get your own and self-medicate. I don't have the money to find a good doctor.

So now I take generic Armour and doing so well. Started in November 1 this year. I am still getting my bloodtests every 4 to 6 weeks. That would be very important. I have a different doctor now and he is not any better for sure.

I also told him all the symptoms. Constipation, hair falling out, edema but still would not give me any.

Softcrush, thanks for your support, honesty is the best policy LOL

Meep, Your right(as always). T4 is suppose to fix it all is what they think

Old 12-06-2004, 07:57 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

SandraM HB User

I am from Canada and luckily I have a family physician. There is such a shortage on Drs. here. There are about 3.5 million people in Canada without a family physician. So how many are going untreated cause of this health problem, and from other problems? So many people from other countries think we have full benefits here in Canada which is so untrue. If employers offer benefits is the only you will get full benefits, less a person buys a plan themselves. Or if they are on a disability pension or welfare. Our medical care only is covered but that is slowly being taken away from us now too. We now must pay for our eye exams, chiropractic care and physio therapy. We also must pay for all paperwork the Dr. fills out as well.

Last edited by SandraM; 12-06-2004 at 08:12 PM.

Old 12-07-2004, 05:02 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

ltedeschi HB User

Those of you that are self medicating how do you get the prescriptions?
For 5 years I have had all symtoms of hypo. The doc performs a blood test and says they are not right. They do a more specialized test that comes back ok They then say you are fine. For every surgery they automatically do this thyroid test and call me back in do another and say you are fine. they also all say I have an enlarged thyroid.
No one will treat the symptoms. They say you have fibromyalgia which mimics hypo.
Any advise will help

Old 12-07-2004, 06:05 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltedeschi
Those of you that are self medicating how do you get the prescriptions?
For 5 years I have had all symtoms of hypo. The doc performs a blood test and says they are not right. They do a more specialized test that comes back ok They then say you are fine. For every surgery they automatically do this thyroid test and call me back in do another and say you are fine. they also all say I have an enlarged thyroid.
No one will treat the symptoms. They say you have fibromyalgia which mimics hypo.
Any advise will help
Well, get copies of your labs and post them, so we can help you understand what they mean. Next time you get labs, make sure to get Free T3, Free T4 and TSH done as well as Thyroglobulin Antibodies and Thyroid Peroxydase Antibodies.

Now, the docs say you are fine, but your thyroid is enlarged. An enlarged thyroid gland is grounds for treatment whether labs are "normal" or not.

Fibromyalgia is not a disease or condition, it is a symptom, and it happens to be a symptom of hypothyroidism. It doesn't "mimic" hypo, it is a part of it.

Closed Thread