It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2004, 06:38 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Latest Test Results

Hi everyone. I was started on the lowest dose of Snythroid at the end of September after a few years of hypothyroid symptoms. In mid-November my dose was increased to .75 after the slamming fatigue and other symptoms returned full force.

I had my levels checked while at a different doctor appointment (not the one treating the thyroid). I know it is a bit early to test. I am supposed to be tested by the thyroid doctor after four weeks of the new dose. My results as of last week (10 days after increase) are:

TSH 1.000 (0.3-5.50)
T3 Uptake 31 (24-39)
Free Thyroxine 3.9 (1.2-4.9)
T3 165 (85-205)
Free T4 1.62 (0.65-1.76)

If this is still too low of a dose for me, will my levels change significantly in two weeks when I get tested again? From everything I read, it can take months before knowing if a dose is optimal , correct? I am still having symptoms. It is very frustrating. How long does it take to determine if T3 should be added?

Is the T3 testthe same as the Free T3 test?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2004, 07:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Latest Test Results

The "Free Thyroxine" you listed is actually "Free Thyroxine Index", isn't it? That would be an estimation of the actual free T4 in your blood. I don't really know why doctors run this test if they also do the actual free T4 direct measurement. Doesn't make sense to me.
Your free T4 actually looks as if it might be a little high. Meep has said many times that many people feel best when their free Ts are around 70% of the range. In your lab's range, that would be about 1.42-ish.

And no, the T3 is not the same as the free T3. Free T3 is a better test because it measures only the T3 that is "free"... that which is unbound by proteins so that it's immediately usable by the cells. The test you had, on the face of it, says that your T3 is at a good level, which means that your free T3 may be high enough, but we can't know how much of it is free without direct measurement.

If you still have symptoms, it's possible that they are related to too high a dose. Many of the aches and pains I had while hyper pretty much matched those I had while hypo. Sometimes symptoms cross over from one condition to the other and look alike.
Or ~ It may be that they still need some time to completely resolve, assuming you're on the right dose. You see, sometimes it takes a few months after you reach the optimum dose for cells and body systems to regain their proper function. Let's see if I can explain this .... The hormone you take isn't what heals you makes you feel better the way that aspirin relieves a headache. It only restores the body's cell metabolism so that it can heal itself, and that healing takes time.
I'm not good at analogies, but think of it this way: You have a scrape on your arm... You might put antibiotic cream on it to help it heal, but the cream doesn't heal the injury all by itself... The body has to heal it by regenerating healthy cells at that site. That's the way supplemental thyroid hormone works. Hope that made sense.
It's also possible that your remaining symptoms unrelated to either condition, hypo or hyper. (I shudder to even whisper that, because an endo told me that once, and she was wrong. But I have to say it is a possibility.)

That's about all I can say... But this'll get you bumped up so maybe Meep will comment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread