It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2004, 10:35 PM   #1
(female)

Jooly22 HB User
Can Hashimoto's cause estrogen deficiency?

Hi all,

I'm new to this board. I'm a 26 year old female from Arizona. I recently had some blood work done and found that my thyroid antibody (TPO) levels are elevated. My doc said that I most likely have Hashimoto's. It seems to run in my family...both my mother and maternal grandmother have hypo.

I've also been seeing a gynocologist for vaginal problems which include itching, burning, dryness and cuts/fissures. My doc did an ultrasound and looked at my cervical cells and determined that my estrogen was low. I was put on an estrogen patch (vivelle ***) and given some vaginal inserts (vagifem). Since being on the hormones my symptoms have improved 100%. I've also experienced hot flashes, night sweats, palpitations, extreme mood swings, etc.

My question is can having Hashimoto's cause estrogen deficiency? Or since I have one autoimmune disorder could I possibly have another that is attacking my ovaries? Which would seem more likely?

I haven't been put on any meds for the thyroid yet but I'm wondering if I was would it also get rid of the low estrogen symtpoms I'm having.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Julie

Old 12-01-2004, 11:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User
Re: Can Hashimoto's cause estrogen deficiency?

Hi Julie,

Welcome to the board. Although I don't really have solid answers for you in regards to estrogen deficiency, I did want to tell you a couple of things.
I don't know if our having a thyroid problem has anything to do with causing estrogen def., but I think there is some relation to our female hormones, since more females are affected by thyroid problems than men. And it seems so often it develops as we are approaching menopause, or after childbirth.
The thing that struck me about your symptoms, was your vaginal problems. I have had the same thing, (vulvodynia). Mine started with recurrent vag. yeast infections, then a rare yeast inf., called glabrata. Omg...talk about pain! Whoa..it was SO bad! It took months to clear that one, as it's a resisitant yeast. I found out later that it is more common in women with immune problems. And it's also caused from over using OTC yeast creams. (Monistat) Anyway, the pain didn't go away after treatment for the yeast, and it didn't until I was dx'd with hypo/Hashi's, and NOT until I was put on Armour thyroid hormone. (was on Levothroid for 3 months and it didn't help that pain one tiny bit). 4 weeks after Armour, the pain was gone. But it still comes back, if my levels are too high or too low. I had the fissures, burning, tearing pain, just like you. But I was, and had been on Estrogen for a while when that syndrome arrived, although I was in perimenopause, so my hormones were, I'm sure, fluctuating all over the place. From what I read on the vulvodynia message list, a lot of women that have that also have other autoimmune disorders. My endo, (that I don't want to see any longer) said that she has seen quite a few hypo/Hashi's patients with it over the years.
I just had to let you know. You're the first I've seen to write to this board, with this condition. I never posted about it, as I was too shy or embarressed about it.
Oh yeah, from the vag. exam that I was given, (by many, many GYN's) I wasn't lacking estrogen in that area. I do use Estrace, (Estrogen cream) topically there, along with .5 mgs oral estrogen daily.
Thank you for posting this, and for being so brave. I knew eventually someone would post on here that they had this too. And I hope you continue to feel well! Are there any others?
Deda

Last edited by Deda; 12-02-2004 at 12:44 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2004, 02:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jooly22
Hi all,

I've also experienced hot flashes, night sweats, palpitations, extreme mood swings, etc.

Julie

Julie--

I'm sorry, I must've missed this the first time I replied to you. It sounds like you're having hypo symptoms already. Did your Dr. run a thyroid blood panel on you? If he didn't, he should have. I had all of those symptoms too. All are gone now, except for the mood swings. Not always fun being a women huh? Especially when as young as you, and life should be good!
Best of luck...
Deda

Old 12-02-2004, 07:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

There are thyroid hormone receptors on the ovaries. IF the Ovaries detect too little or too much thyroid hormone, they alter their hormone production. Knoowing this, you can see how hypothyroidism could affect other hormone levels, including estrogen and progesterone, which are primarily produced by the ovaries.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 12-02-2004, 08:51 AM   #5
(female)

Jooly22 HB User

Thanks so much for all of the advice. I have an appointment w/ a new endo on Dec. 16th so I'll ask them some questions about the estrogen as well.

Julie

Closed Thread