It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2004, 08:58 AM   #1
(female)

Jooly22 HB User
Question Should I take Synthroid if I'm trying to conceive?

Hi everyone,

I just learned that I have Hashimoto's. I'm wondering if I should be put on Synthroid or another medication if I'm trying to conceive. My hubby and I would like to try sooner than later especially w/ the new news about my thyroid.

I have an appointment w/ a new endo on the 16th but I'm not sure they will medicate me. I only really have elevated antibodies (My TPO level was greater than 70). Are endo's more likely to medicate patient's w/ Hashimoto's if they're trying to conceive?

Also my latest TSH level was 3.4. I heard that for women to get pregnant their TSH should be between 1-2. Is that true ?

Thanks!

Julie

Old 12-02-2004, 09:19 AM   #2

KeriLea HB User
Smile Re: Should I take Synthroid if I'm trying to conceive?

You definitely want to be medicated when trying to conceive with a thyroid problem. If your thyroid levels are not kept under control then the result can be not being able to conceive or early miscarriage. I too have been ttc for 1 1/2 years and after 2 m/c's they say that the cause is Hashimoto's. I started synthroid in July and as of the past month my levels were finally in the optimal range for ttc. Without proper maintenance ttc can be an tedious process.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2004, 11:32 AM   #3
(female)

Jooly22 HB User
Question Re: Should I take Synthroid if I'm trying to conceive?

Thanks KeriLea,

Do you know what the optimal levls for trying to conceive are? I heard the TSH should be between 1-2. Does that sound right?

Old 12-02-2004, 12:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
Re: Should I take Synthroid if I'm trying to conceive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jooly22
Thanks KeriLea,

Do you know what the optimal levls for trying to conceive are? I heard the TSH should be between 1-2. Does that sound right?
Not exactly. Many people feel their best wehn their TSH is in that range, BUT....

The best bet is to get Free T4 in the middle of the upper half of its range, regardless of TSH. A fairly recent study showed that pregnancy ws better supported and healthier babies (physically, and especially mentally) were born to mothers whose Free T4 was in the middel of the upper half of the lab range and kept there.

This is ESPECIALLY crucial in the first trimester before the baby has its own thyroid gland developed and most of the crucial parts of the brain and nervous system are forming. Later in the pregnancy, it is still important, but the baby will provide its own thyroid hormones as needed.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 12-03-2004, 11:38 AM   #5
(female)

Jooly22 HB User
Re: Should I take Synthroid if I'm trying to conceive?

Thanks Meep!

Julie

Closed Thread