It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2004, 11:45 PM   #1
(female)

juner50 HB User
Just switched to thyrolar....

Have been on Synthroid, synthroid and Cytomel, Cytomel alone, Armour, armour and Synthroid.....Now starting Thyrolar tomorrow....jeesh!
Haven't had great results before except for the Armour. About three days after starting Armour I felt great for a few days, my body was really working. Mood was elevated, no constipation, energy, wow, and then I crashed. Upped the dose a bit then added a bit of Synthroid and still not good. So Doc today suggested we try Thyrolar. I know it was unavailable for a while but apparently it's back now.
Got my labs back when I was on 2 grns of Armour plus 50 mgs. synthroid
Ft3......2.57......range 2.30 - 4.20
ft4.......1.43......range 0.8 - 1.8
I continue to have a low ft3 inspite of all the diff. meds I've tried. Anyone use thyrolar and how did you like it? I know everyone is different (I'm proof of that LOL) I have Hashi's for 30 yrs now and it took me this long to find a Doc that specializes ONLY in Thyroids. He almost never tests TSH, doesn't believe in it thank God.
Any input would be appreciated on the tests and thyrolar
June

Last edited by juner50; 12-02-2004 at 11:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2004, 07:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
Re: Just switched to thyrolar....

I tried Thyrolar for a while, did well on it first then did terrible when my dose was raised, too much T3 for me. I now take just 1/2 grain of Nature Throid and the rest I take synthetic Unithroid (T4).

I have a friend who also took Thyrolar and she did well with it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2004, 08:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by juner50
Have been on Synthroid, synthroid and Cytomel, Cytomel alone, Armour, armour and Synthroid.....Now starting Thyrolar tomorrow....jeesh!
Haven't had great results before except for the Armour. About three days after starting Armour I felt great for a few days, my body was really working. Mood was elevated, no constipation, energy, wow, and then I crashed. Upped the dose a bit then added a bit of Synthroid and still not good. So Doc today suggested we try Thyrolar. I know it was unavailable for a while but apparently it's back now.
Got my labs back when I was on 2 grns of Armour plus 50 mgs. synthroid
Ft3......2.57......range 2.30 - 4.20
ft4.......1.43......range 0.8 - 1.8
I continue to have a low ft3 inspite of all the diff. meds I've tried. Anyone use thyrolar and how did you like it? I know everyone is different (I'm proof of that LOL) I have Hashi's for 30 yrs now and it took me this long to find a Doc that specializes ONLY in Thyroids. He almost never tests TSH, doesn't believe in it thank God.
Any input would be appreciated on the tests and thyrolar
June
WARNING: Make sure you keep your Thyrolar refrigerated! It will lose potency if you don't.

It sounds like you have a good doc who is trying to help you in any way possible. Here are some things to discuss with him. Copy and paste the following into your word processor and print it out. Tell him it is advice from a thyroid support group:

The root of the problem in your case is quite possibly your liver. Have you had a liver function check? You should. Do you take any meds that are processed heavily by the liver (Tylenol and other aspirin-free meds with acetaminophen in the are in this category, adn so are the cholesterol-lowering Statin drugs)? Do you drink alcohol or have you ever had a drinking problem? Are you low-carbing (you need approximately 100 carbohydrates a day for proper functioning--your liver is very busy when you go below that)? Are you Selenium Deficient (Selenium is vital for T3 conversion in the liver--more on that below)?

The low T3 is undoubtedly what is causing your symptoms, and you need more of it. Since you are having trouble getting your T3 up, you should stick to straight Armour or straight Thyrolar (I prefer the more stable Armour since it doesn't require refrigeration), and leave the Synthroid alone, in my opinion. Your T4 is fine, but you can't raise your Thyrolar (or Armour) becase you may go hyper on the T4 if you do. By dropping the Synthroid, you have room to raise your T4 and T3 both. Why add more T4, when that isn't the problem? To me it would have made more sense to have you on 3 grains of Armour than to have you on the combination you were on. In fact, later down the road, it might make sense to add more T3 to your Armour in the form of Cytomel. You need to discuss this with your doctor.

Comparing your doses of meds and what they contain:

2 Grains of Armour plus the 50mcg Synthroid has 126mcg T4 and 18mcg T3

2 Grains of Thyrolar has 100mcg T4 and 25mcg T3

3 Grains of Armour has 114mcg T4 and 27mcg T3 (I recommend this)

The following is something you can do at home:

Start on a Selenium supplement if you aren't taking it already. Take 200mcg a day for a month, then you can drop to 100mcg a day for maintenance. Selenium is VITAL for the enzyme that the liver uses to convert T4 to T3. Low Selenium will mean you won't get enough T3. Since 80% of the T3 in a healthy person's blood comes from the liver, you can see how important this could be.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 12-03-2004, 11:40 AM   #4
(female)

juner50 HB User

Meep, You hit on quite a few things. I had been on pravachol about 5 yrs ago because of a chol # of 360 and wound up in the ER after 5 days with blood in stool and horrible leg cramps. I kept telling the ER Doc that I thought it was the Pravachol which he kept dismissing as impossible (GRRRR) He kept insisting I had a bleeding ulcer and performed tests on me that were horrendously painful. If I had a gun I'd have shot him ! anyway I stopped the Pravachol and all the symptoms stopped 2 days later. I now have elevated liver panels which I blame on the chol drug. I don't ever drink nor do I take tylenol or any other aspirin free drugs. I do watch the carbs because of my weight, but that is a recent dietary change and this all happened way before low carbing. My chol has come down to about 260 since low carbing and my tri. are in a good range with high HDL (92) LDL is high but ratio is good. When my chol was 360 I was on a low fat "lifestyle". I have to really watch my weight but it may have something to do with my low ft3 ?????
When I first started the Armour I felt GREAT and then a week later became even more constipated and bloated than usual plus weight gain freezing, sluggish(all of those were bad enough before) adding the Synthroid helped a little but hairloss became worse.
Today I start the 2grs. of thyrolar and I have to call the Endo in two weeks. I may call sooner to discuss your opinions....which seem extremely valid!
Also, is there a test for selenium defiency ? You've all been so helpful, I wish I had found this board 30 yrs ago. When I think of all the uninformed Drs. I've been through before I found this one I could scream. He has discussed wanting me to have a gallbladder ultrasound and looking at my liver. We may do it sooner than I had planned. Problem is I'll be 3000 miles away from him for the next 2 months and thought I could wait till I came back. I may need to rethink getting this done while I'm away if I can. Thanks again.
june

Old 12-03-2004, 12:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Meep, You hit on quite a few things. I had been on pravachol about 5 yrs ago because of a chol # of 360 and wound up in the ER after 5 days with blood in stool and horrible leg cramps. I kept telling the ER Doc that I thought it was the Pravachol which he kept dismissing as impossible (GRRRR) He kept insisting I had a bleeding ulcer and performed tests on me that were horrendously painful. If I had a gun I'd have shot him ! anyway I stopped the Pravachol and all the symptoms stopped 2 days later. I now have elevated liver panels which I blame on the chol drug.
Your experience with Pravachol doesn't surprise me, and may be the root of the T3 problem. There are Class Action lawsuits all over the place on those types of drugs, and from your experience, you can see why. IT might be interesting to get on board with one of those and see if it helps cover your medical expenses...

Quote:
I don't ever drink nor do I take tylenol or any other aspirin free drugs. I do watch the carbs because of my weight, but that is a recent dietary change and this all happened way before low carbing. My chol has come down to about 260 since low carbing and my tri. are in a good range with high HDL (92) LDL is high but ratio is good. When my chol was 360 I was on a low fat "lifestyle". I have to really watch my weight but it may have something to do with my low ft3 ????? When I first started the Armour I felt GREAT and then a week later became even more constipated and bloated than usual plus weight gain freezing, sluggish(all of those were bad enough before) adding the Synthroid helped a little but hairloss became worse.
It very likely has to do with your T3 being low. T3 is vital for many body processes, including protein synthesis. Protein Synthesis means muscle tissue growth and maintenance, hair growth and health, skin growth and health, nerve tissue maintenance... You probably also have problems with depression, if I had to venture a guess--also T3 related, since T3 seems to affect neurotransmitter levels.

When you started the Armour, you felt better due to the extra T3, but then your body grew used to it, started using it, and then needed more. Upping the dose to 3 grains instead of adding Synthroid, would have been a good step toward providing your body what it is apparently crying out for.

Quote:
Today I start the 2grs. of thyrolar and I have to call the Endo in two weeks. I may call sooner to discuss your opinions....which seem extremely valid!
Since the thyrolar will effectively raise your T3 above what it was on the Armour, it may very well help some. I hope so.

Quote:
Also, is there a test for selenium defiency ?
I am sure there is, but it is a comon deficiency, and, in your case, it is worth trying a trial of a few months to see if it helps. Selenium is helpful in the prevention of liver cancer, and may be advisable, even if you didn't have documented liver problems.

As long as you don't exceed 200mcg a day, there should be little chance of toxicity. Toxicity is usually only seen when you go aver 800 mcg a day. Droppig back to 100mcg after a month will further ensure that it won't be harmful.

Last edited by Meep; 12-03-2004 at 12:08 PM.

Old 12-03-2004, 01:17 PM   #6
(female)

juner50 HB User

started the selenium today ! YAY !
Thanks again for all you help, you're the best !!!
june

Old 12-03-2004, 01:24 PM   #7

dogtired HB User

Juner
My mom swears by Niacin to lower cholesterol.Both my mom and my
sister have lowered their's by taking it.Looks like now it's my turn
since mine was 242. Good luck to you on the new drug.

Old 12-03-2004, 02:02 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
started the selenium today ! YAY !
Thanks again for all you help, you're the best !!!
june
You know, I never asked when you take your meds...

If you are taking them within 4 hours of anything with Calcium, Aluminum (many antacids), anything with estrogen, iron, Carafate (a common stomach ulcer med) or anything high in fiber, then you aren't absorbing the thyroid meds consistently, adn this could add to the problem. Also, take thyroid meds at least 1 hour before meals or two hours after meals. Allowing more time for any of these scenarios is always safe. Les time is questionable.

Also, when do you take your meds on the day your blood is drawn? allow at least 8 hours after you have taken your meds for blood to be drawn. IF you take your meds in the morning, this meand take them AFTER your blood is drawn that day so your Free T3 and Free T4 readings wil be accurate.

Symptoms might be more stable if you split your dose and take half of your thyrolar or Armour in the morning and half in the afternoon. Many of us do that and it makes a big difference in keeping your energy levels more consistent.

Last edited by Meep; 12-03-2004 at 02:13 PM.

Old 12-03-2004, 05:44 PM   #9
(female)

juner50 HB User

Meep, I usually take my thyroid meds anywhere between 4:00 and 6:30 AM.
If I get up to use bathroom at 4ish I take it then and go back to sleep. Otherwise I'm usually up at 6ish. It's taken on an empty stomach and Doc said to take it WITH folic acid because of my absorption problem, thought it might help. About 1 1/2 to 2hrs later I take garlic and a hair vitamin (no iron or calcium). I eat about 3 hrs. after thy. meds.
Also I am splitting the thyrolar morning and noon.
june

Old 12-03-2004, 06:18 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Meep, I usually take my thyroid meds anywhere between 4:00 and 6:30 AM.
If I get up to use bathroom at 4ish I take it then and go back to sleep. Otherwise I'm usually up at 6ish. It's taken on an empty stomach and Doc said to take it WITH folic acid because of my absorption problem, thought it might help. About 1 1/2 to 2hrs later I take garlic and a hair vitamin (no iron or calcium). I eat about 3 hrs. after thy. meds.
Also I am splitting the thyrolar morning and noon.
june
That sounds great! Your doc has apparently given you good advice, so far.
Keep up posted on things and if you have any questions keep them coming.

Closed Thread