It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2004, 02:04 AM   #1
(female)

kiya HB User
Can anyone help, please???

Hi everyone. I finally found a forum I could post on - thank goodness - because I'd like some advice/help...

In March this year I started getting aches and pains in my legs; mainly around my knee joints. I had already started getting cold hands and feet. Over the past few months I have become more and more tired. Sleeping doesn't seem to relieve the fatigue. I'm losing concentration and having problems with my short-term memory... both to the point where I recently managed to burn myself.

After reading one of the threads here I also finally have some idea of how to explain the weirdness in my head and of my vision - brain fog. It feels like I'm just waking up or just going to sleep almost every second of the day. I'm completely detached from everything. It's a very strange and disturbing feeling.

I was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome and given antidepressants, which did absolutely nothing except make my fatigue worse.

A couple of weeks ago, I asked for a TSH to be done. It came back as 2.17 (ref range 0.5-5.0). Here they don't run T3 or T4 unless the TSH is above 5, so I haven't a clue what those results would be.

Any help greatfully appreciated. My doc just told me it was chronic fatigue and there was nothing she could do. Very helpful.

I look forward to reading the other threads. This board already looks like it's going to be really helpful and supportive.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2004, 06:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: Can anyone help, please???

Hi Kiya, welcome to the boards. After reading your post, and your symptoms it sounds like you could have hypothyroidism.

You really need the freet3 and freet4 to see where your levels really are. Is there anyway you could get those tests done?

Old 12-03-2004, 06:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

I agree, you really need the other tests.
The TSH being above 2 already is indicating something could be amiss since most people with no thyroid problems have a TSH below 2.
Also, the new AACE guidelines for TSH is .3-2.5, so your lab is using an old range.
If your current dr will not do the needed tests, find another dr or just plain insist they humor you and do them anyway.
Make sure they test the FREE T3 and FREE T4.

Old 12-03-2004, 06:54 AM   #4
(female)

stargrass HB User

I have depresssion and also have had thyroid problems for a long time..I go through having to have my thyroid medication changed every three or four months..sometimes I do not know if it is my depression or my thyroid..I was sick for a few months and asked the doc to have a test for my thyroid taken, and sure enough, my thyroid is way off the chart and I need to have my medication reduced..I would ask your doc to run the full thyroid test because if you are having problems with thyroid, all the antidepressents inthe world will not help..

Old 12-03-2004, 08:20 AM   #5
(female)

kiya HB User

Thanks for all your replies.

I'm not sure my current doctor would run fT3 and fT4 even just to humour me. Unfortunately, even when a doctor specifies these tests, the lab won't always run them if they find the TSH in range. I'm going to try changing doctors - quite a task here in Kent, England, where we have a shortage of general practitioners! But I'm definitely going to try because I'm getting nowhere with my current doctor. I'm also booked in to have a tonsillectomy on 22 December... that was booked back when they thought it was fatigue caused by chronic tonsilitis (even though my throat looked ok).

Does anyone else find the unhelpfulness of some doctors makes them want to scream?!?!?!?!?

Old 12-03-2004, 09:02 AM   #6

LynnHan HB User

I personally think Dr's who are actually "clueless" attach the term "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" to sound OFFICAL. So they have a diagnoses...yet don't have to come up with an answer.

It's a cope out.

I suggests you make finding a new good DR. a top priority! I wish for you, and everyone in this situation, that this isn't like a needle in a haystack option!

Best Wishes to you Kiya! I hope there is a GREAT Dr for you just around the corner! Lynn

Old 12-03-2004, 09:05 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Oh yes it can be hard to get some doctors to do tests besides the TSH. When you call around to find another doctor, ask them if they will test the ft4 and ft3. If they don't, then you definitely don't want that doctor.

My doctor tests the TSH and FT4 because I have state insurance. The state will only pay for certain tests.

I live in Southwest Mo. USA.

Are you sure it is not your thyroid swelling up instead of the tonsils. When my thyroid was swollen(from hypothyroidsm) it felt like a big lump in my throat. I had trouble breathing, and snored when I slept.

My doctor asked me " How do you know you snore?" I said "My husband told me". He was a smarty anyway.

Yes it sounds like you need to doctor search.

Old 12-03-2004, 09:55 AM   #8
(female)

kiya HB User

I'm so glad I joined the forums here. You can feel so alone when doctors are dismissive of illness or say they can't do anything for you. My family and partner are really supportive, but that extra help from the medical profession would be nice. It's also good to talk to others who have thyroid problems or suspected thyroid problems. I'm not sure it's easy for other people to know how it can feel. I had someone look at me funny when I said I was so tired I couldn't walk upstairs without feeling exhausted and my legs aching.

Lynn - you're so right. The doctor said she couldn't find anything wrong so it had to be chronic fatigue. It's just really lame.

Lady50 - I don't think my thyroid is swelling up, although my mum noticed a swelling the other day (the doctor couldn't feel anything though).

Starting my new doctor search on Monday...

Old 12-03-2004, 10:50 AM   #9

LynnHan HB User

Good for you Kiya! I'm behind you a JILLION times in support of this! The only reason why sub par Dr.'s "get away" with staying IN PRACTICE is because WE POOR PATIENTS don't know where else to turn. THAT is SAD!

More power to you Kiya!

Closed Thread