It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2004, 07:36 PM   #1

eleni61 HB User
Midwest

I believe I am seeing the same doctor you are. Dr. Wessling. I like him alot and he has been starting me on armour; a small dose to begin with. Since I have been on the boards my TSH has gone up to 26. Funny I feeli better than I did last spring when it was 3.0. Anyway The doctor wants to give me a homeopathic remedy for Adrenal insufficency, yet I would rather not take it or just take cortisol as this remedy has cow thyroid. In your opinion would Dr. Wessling get mad if I told him I didn't want to take it and rather take cortisol if needed? I know it sounds silly, but I have seen so many doctors I don't want to lose a good one over somthing like this.
Thanks,
Eleni

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2004, 10:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Midwest

Wow... 26! You got me beat... ~chuckle~

I'm rather surprised at his offer of the homeopathic remedy for adrenals. He gave me Cortef when he suspected I might need it. Before he wrote the script, he told me that many people have a fear of cortisone and asked me how I feel about it. He didn't mention any other remedy for the condition. There must be a reason the HP remedy is his first choice for you in particular; but to me, he doesn't seem so set in his methods that he won't have an alternative for you. I'm nearly positive that if you simply state your concern, he'll offer you something else. He probably has vegan patients who would also object to taking an animal product, and I'm equally sure he could recommend an alternative for them.

So far, I've never seen him even anywhere close to angry, so I think you shouldn't worry about it in the least. He's mentioned to me several times that I should take flax oil. If you've seen the latest thread about flax, you'll see why I've refused him each time. His face never registered any emotion at my reluctance. It was more like he was interested to learn about my reaction to it, because he'd never heard of it before.

I'll be interested to know what he does for you... just curious.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2004, 05:50 AM   #3

eleni61 HB User

Thanks for the reply. I think I will call him on Monday about the adrenal meds.
He is really nice. Since I had problems with the synthroid he started me on a very low dose of armour 1/8 grain for two weeks. That is when he retested me and found out my TSH went from 8 to 26. My Ft4 was .71 and my ft3 was just about the range. Maybe that's why I didn't feel so bad. Now I am on 1/4 grain for two weeks; then I will be on 1/2 grain and be retested. i am starting to feel a little bit better. I haven't been to this board much because I was at the adrenal board. I found out my pituatary gland is not putting out enough ACTH which causes my adrenals to be low. I read that the thyroid can cause the pituatary gland to malfunction sometimes.

Old 12-13-2004, 10:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User

Hey midwest! I just got back from my wonderful doctor and he is suspecting an adrenal problem now as well. Can you tell me some more info on the adrenal issues as it relates to HypoT? You also mention an adrenal board, but I did not see it. What is the title?
THANKS!

Old 12-13-2004, 02:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I really don't know all that much about adrenal fatigue. My doctor had considered that it might be an issue for me because I continued having symptoms after my thyroid levels got to the point where he thought they should be. The Cortef was only a month-long trial, and it didn't really help much. As far as I know, adrenal fatigue must be treated before thyroid treatment is instituted, because the adrenals can't handle the stress of extra thyroid hormone.

The Board for adrenal issues is called "Addison's Disease".

Closed Thread