It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2004, 02:44 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User
Question About Dairy Products!!

Hello all lm not up to date with the 'diet' part of thyroid self help and up until the last few days l havnt felt as good for along time. Ive been making a milky drink horlicks 1 a day for the last 3 days and for 3 days l have felt sick! I feel like l could throw up (sorry) lm not a big milk fan and only use powdered skimmed milk in my 1 cup of tea a day and l dont have cereal to often either but when l do l use skimmed. Do you think drinking full fat milk has caused me too feel like this? I feel awful Thank you x

Old 12-04-2004, 09:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: Question About Dairy Products!!

You could possibly be lactose intolerant. This is no lie, when I had graves, I was lactose intolerant. The skimmed milk I could tolerate but not the whole milk.

It would make my stomach bloat up with gas, nausea.

Hope ya get to feeling better

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2004, 11:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you dear Lady for replying ((((hugs)))) is this something l could just develop? The intolerance? I coudnt eat yesterday l felt really ill! My joints started playing up too!! Im not a sickly person very rare l throw up but boy l aint felt like this before l had lower stomach pain (left hand side) back pain and quite a few visits to the loo! anyhow l aint had any milk at all yesterday l;ol how you doing hun?

Old 12-05-2004, 09:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

I am doing much better. This probably sounds silly but I actually have sweat under my arms now. HEEEEEE!!!!

Old 12-05-2004, 03:27 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

nornie HB User

Niecsey,

Yes, you can develop lactose intolerance at any time. You can develop any sort of allergy any time in your life, even if you had no problem with that food/substance before. (and I think thyroid problems make us more susceptible to allergies...)

But I wonder....when are you taking these milky drinks? You know that calcium can severely interfere with thyroid med absorption, so if you are taking it within 6 hours of your thyroid meds, it's very possible you are not getting enough thyroid meds then and that could be why you're feeling so poorly.

I hope you feel better soon.

Nornie

Old 12-06-2004, 02:13 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you for replying guys ((((hugs)))) ive been having the milky drink early evening l take my meds 1 x 100mcg thyroxine and 2 x 50mg Ptu at 8.00 a.m 2 x Ptu 4.00pm and 2 x Ptu at 11.30pm so do you still think theres interference?Ive kept off the drink since thursday now or Friday afternoon l might of? Afternoon was a 1 off!!! Oh just realised the Horlicks is a very good source of calcium!! Ive no idea about thryoids and food interactions all l know is to take them on a morning on an empty stomach l think its time l did some searches on foods and the thyroid. Maybe l just had a bug? Well lm keeping off the milk now it was horrendous the pains and the feeling sick nonstop I actually started feeling sickly last Tuesday Friday and Saturday where the 2 days where l was affected the most felt sick for the full 2 days with no breaks. Hmmmm not to bad now thanks again your all great xxx

Closed Thread