It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2004, 05:16 PM   #1
(female)

Justmarried0620 HB User
Question for all you thyroid experts

I am concerned that I may have a thyroid issue, but can't get into my doctor until next Friday. The not knowing is driving me crazy.

I am a 25 year old female. Two weeks ago I noticed that my legs and arms were feeling somewhat weak (like I had been lifting weights, only I hadn't been). I've been feeling really tired, have lost my appetite, a strange fluttery sensation in my chest at times, a feeling like there's something stuck in my throat after eating, and the three or four times I've taken my temp. it's been in the 96 range. I've also had pretty constant vertigo, but I think that may be due to an inner ear issue.

Anyway, my mom suggested that maybe I have a thyroid problem (apparently my maternal grandmother does as well). Does this sound like it could be a hypothyroid to any of you? I'd appreciate any response

Old 12-05-2004, 05:11 AM   #2
(female)

LucyPearl HB User
Re: Question for all you thyroid experts

Hi Justmarried...and congratulations!
The symptoms you describe could be any number of things...even stress, which wouldn't be unusal for a new bride, right? But, yes, I definately think you should have your thyroid tested, ESPECIALLY in light of the fact that your maternal grandmother has a thyroid problem. My maternal grandmother had Graves disease and now so do I and my sister. My mother or her siblings didn't get it at all...isn't that strange?? I think it tends to skip a generation or something. I was first diagnosed when I was just a little older than you (around 30). I've been living with it...and living well with it for the most part...for 15 years nows. Make an appt with your doc and explain symptoms and your family history of thyroid problems and ask to have your TSH checked ALONG WITH Free t3 and Free t4. Whatever you do, do not just let the doctor check for TSH alone. The TSH test (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) is not enough to indicate a thryoid disorder...you need the other tests mentioned to really alert your doc if there's a problem. Good luck and when you get your test results be sure to post them here on line. I'm not one of the people who is skilled at reading and interpreting blood work, but there are several VERY skilled and knowledgable people who come here and will gladly help you interpret your results. In the meantime, keep coming to the boards and learning more.
LucyPearl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2004, 08:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Question for all you thyroid experts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justmarried0620
Anyway, my mom suggested that maybe I have a thyroid problem (apparently my maternal grandmother does as well). Does this sound like it could be a hypothyroid to any of you?
Yes, it definitely sounds like it to me. Get tested, but make sure your doctor knows what he's dealing with. It's not uncommon at all for MDs to tell you the symptoms are due to something else, just because they don't know how low thyroid function affects every bodily system as well as the brain. They often will tell you you're stressed, or not getting enough sleep, or just depressed. They'll send you off with a script for antidepressants and let it go at that, because they just don't have a clue. So... you have to "get a clue" before you even get to the MDs office, and don't take "no, I won't test" or "no, you have no thyroid problem" as an answer. It often takes more than one or two consultations before the disorder is diagnosed correctly.

Start reading the "Information Archive" sticky thread if you haven't yet. You'll find symptoms lists, hints for getting a diagnosis, and suggested books and websites for extra reading.
Let us know if you have more questions.

Closed Thread