It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2004, 10:45 AM   #1
(female)

LucyPearl HB User
Smile Finally getting my estrogen & Cortisol levels checked

Hi all...
I'm scheduled to return to endo on 21st. She wants bloodwork done on the 14th. Originally she'd only ordered for my TSH, Free t3 and Free t4 to be done. I decided today, after researching hormones over the weekend, that it's time I know where I stand in hormone land...too much estrogen? not enough progesterone? how's my stress hormone level?, etc. So, I went back to her office and requested that they add these tests on to lab order and to my amazement, it was done with a smile and within 10 minutes! I thought I was going to have problems or have to explain why I wanted them done but I didn't! Thank goodness! So, I'm hoping to have some indication about my hormones other than thyroid hormones. I just wanted to share that bit of news...by the way...does anyone know who is better at interpreting these hormone levels...an endo or my gyn who I'll be seeing on Friday?
LucyPearl

Old 12-06-2004, 12:35 PM   #2

LynnHan HB User
Re: Finally getting my estrogen & Cortisol levels checked

Lucy,

I hate to say this....but, again.....like thyroid....many, if not MOST Dr's. aren't "up" on this...so they will either disregard this, ignore you somewhat...OR not to KNOW what to DO with the blood work when they get it.

That's why I just stopped beating MY HEAD against the wall in frustration and really LEARNED from the SOURCE...the compounding pharmacy. I then felt MORE and MORE comfortable in asking THEM for a recommendation.

I'm GLAD your getting those hormones checked. BUT before you have them taken. I AGAIN, suggest you call that compounding pharmacy and ask THEM what blood tests they think are best. AND ask them when they think you get the BEST reading. Like many have said, the 21st day of your cycle, early morning after fasting is when I got mine. I even had THEM write up the suggested blood tests and asked my Dr to order them. She did, without even seeing me!

They are GREAT and WILLING to work with your Dr. on your behalf. It's REALLY A COOL CONCEPT! A TEAM of CARE!

Last edited by LynnHan; 12-06-2004 at 12:37 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2004, 01:25 PM   #3
(female)

LucyPearl HB User

Chris and Lyn
Thanks to both of you. I appreciate your input . I found a compounding pharmacy in my city. I even called my health insurance to make sure they cover it. They said more than likely yes, depending on ingredients in meds that are ordered. I told them that I believe that one of main ingredients would be progesterone and they said definately yes. So...that's helpful to know. Chris, why addison's board? what is addisons?
LucyPearl

Old 12-06-2004, 07:11 PM   #4

LynnHan HB User

Yes, that the "thing"...some of it will be covered, and some of it won't. At least with MY insurance that is. From what I understood, that the "natural" ingredients may NOT be covered...but, you know what? Even if SOME of it is covered!!!!!! Especially if it WORKS!! AND from what they tell me..it's roughly about $60 a month? ~ but that's just a ball park. Compared to what I already PAY for my prescriptions through the mail for three months...it's VERY compareable! Besides, if it does what I'm READING IT WILL...it's worth it.

My compounding pharmacy said that they will fill out the papers to my insurance for me...but I will have to pay up front and get reimbursed from my insurance. Hopefully in the NEAR future, she said, they will be a "member" of my particular insurance group..and then all it will be is a copay. She said that is CLOSE to happening. Then it WILL be cheap! COOL!

I'm proud of you Lucy for even LOOKING for a compounder in your area...I KNOW definitely how intimidating just even CONSIDERING this is...but Lucy? I'm POSITIVE you will find, JUST as I have continually found, supporting POSITIVE information time and time again. Every where you turn for your own information and knowledge of Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy will lead you to overwhelming good answers! That's what I've found anyways!

Like I said, locate the pharmacy, and gather courage to check it out. I BELIEVE you will be reassured in what you find. Not ONLY are they helpful and so WILLING to give you information....they are so CALM too! UNLIKE ME!

Honestly Lucy, it's about ALL I can do to keep MYSELF AWAY from the place...I'm SO EAGER...but I didn't want them to think I'm STALKING THEM till they got my medicine done! LOL

Also Dr. John R Lee's website is very interesting too. He's the author of that What Dr's may NOT tell you about perimenopause book. So just do a search for his name..and bookmark it. I signed up for the sites newsletter also.

Keep us informed Lucy. I'm proud of you no matter what!

Closed Thread