It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2004, 08:00 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

SandraM HB User
Question Armour Drug and Weight Gain

I would like to know if anyone that is taking the Amour drug if they still gain weight like some people do that take synthroid.

Last edited by SandraM; 12-07-2004 at 04:48 AM.

Old 12-07-2004, 06:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
Re: Armour Drug and Weight Gain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraM
I would like to know if anyone that is taking the Amour drug if they still gain weight like some people do that take synthroid.
The uncontrolled weight gain is a symptom with multiple sources. Gaining weight on Synthroid is, as often as not, a result of being under-treated. The same thing can and does happen on Armour.

On the other hand, people on Amrour are more likely to report that they are able to control their weight when treated with the proper amount.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2004, 08:25 AM   #3
(female)

yock HB User
Re: Amour Drug and Weight Gain

It's interesting you should post this question. It's kinda what I was driving at in a post of mine last week. IMO, I think there is a huge correlation between taking thyroid medicine and weight gain. Personally speaking, I used to be able to control my weight easily before I started taking Armour. I also had thick, lush hair. Not anymore. I have to go to 800/1000 calories per day to just maintain my weight. And my hair is a mess. Yet, my TSH,FT3,FT4 are all in great range. A girl I work with takes Synthroid has the same problem - has to stay under 1000 calories per day to maintain weight. This is practically starving yourself. Another girl I work with cannot under any circumstances eat rice or pasta. If she does, she will gain 3 lbs overnight. You tell me...the stories are out there that it is very hard to maintain weight on thyroid medicine. What, are we all undermedicated? I don't think so. I think the doctors out there don't want to investigate it because they're afraid they'll find out we're right and that it does cause weight gain, and there might be a lawsuit or something. Plus I'm fully aware that a lot of doctors get paid on how much synthroid they prescribe by the manufacturer.

Old 12-07-2004, 09:40 AM   #4
Veteran

mintchocolate HB User

I was able to loose 22 lbs since I started Armour, diet and exercise. Then I needed a dose increase and while I was adjusting to the new dosage I gained weight because I was hungry. I was slightly hyper and I thought I would loose weight being slightly overmedicated, but on the contrary I gained cause I ate more. I have my levels balanced now and again, I find it easier to loose weight with exercise and diet.

Mintchoc

Old 12-07-2004, 10:45 AM   #5
(female)

nimbeth HB User

Mint,

How long were you on Armour, and what dosage did you start at. Was it hard for you to lose the 22 lbs (fantastic for you!) or did just kind of happen once your numbers got better.

I am just hoping for a little inspiration, I have been Armour for 10 wks. My dose started at 1/4 grain now it is at 1 grain which i started today.

Thanks Nimbeth

Thanks
Nimbeth

Old 12-07-2004, 12:32 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

SandraM HB User

I am taking 3 of .075 MG 4 times a week, then other 3 days I take 3 and a half of the .075 MG. My thyroid is extremely slow and really should be on a diet under 500 calories a day the Dr. told me. Needless when I do this I tend to get dizzy. Some days I just feel like giving up.

Old 12-07-2004, 01:19 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraM
My thyroid is extremely slow and really should be on a diet under 500 calories a day the Dr. told me. Needless when I do this I tend to get dizzy.
That's insane! I can't believe a medical professional would condone such foolishness, much less say it's necessary! Use the search feature to find recent posts by patience50. (I can do it for you later, but I don't have time exactly now.) She posted information about the calorie requirement to keep a human body just running on idle .... and I know it's far more than 500!

OK, this is only my opinion as a layperson. (Even science can't agree on what causes weight gain or loss, so I don't think I'm sticking my neck out too far... lol) And I don't want to risk offending anyone by saying that low thyroid doesn't cause weight gain, because clearly it does... and I think it does far more often than MDs agree to. I believe each person's reaction to the start of treatment is going to be individual. There are way too many variables besides thyroid function that cause loss or gain to make such simplistic statements as "one med will cause it and this one won't".

For example, some people lose their appetites while depressed, and we all know that low thyroid causes depression. Once in treatment, the depression lifts, her appetite returns, and she now takes in more calories. But she may not be too careful about eating nutritiously - or she doesn't even consciously realize she's eating more than she formerly did - so the boost to the metabolism isn't enough - thus she gains despite the treatment. There are all kinds of scenarios to explain individual reactions to medication... Too many to attribute all of it to any one brand. At least, that's my theory.

All that said, you should give Armour a try if you haven't yet. The anecdotal evidence is that more people are successful in losing when they use some T3 in addition to T4.

Old 12-07-2004, 01:26 PM   #8
(female)

LucyPearl HB User

Sandra...
Good Lord!! 500 calories a day?! No wonder you get dizzy trying to survive off of that. Now I'm no nutritionist expert but I've read, heard and learned that it's not normally recommended to go below 800 calories/day. There's a book out called "Is Your Thyroid Making You Fat" by Sanford Siegel. In the book he sts that as part of determining if his patients are truely suffereing from thyroid related issues or they just don't have the discipline to lose the weight, he puts each pt on an 800 calories/day diet for 1 month. He says that he doesn't go by TSH levels alone. He recommends that 800/calories is the lowest you should go and THAT's pretty low...you should see the menu for 800 calories/day Seriously though, Please be very careful eating that small amount of food - you may be actually doing more harm than good! The less you eat, the slower your metabolism is. Your body thinks it's starving (and it would be with only 500 calories) and it holds on to whatever fat there is, thereby not releaseing it and converting the fats, calories and carbs into energy, which is what you want it to do Look...I'd definately get another opinion from another doctor. I just can't imagine recommending a 500 calorie/day diet for anyone. Hope you'll find another doc.
LucyPearl

Old 12-07-2004, 01:34 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

SandraM HB User

Well here in Canada, there is usually at least a 2 year waiting list to get a Dr. So thats out of the question to change. I'm also not so sure Armour is available in Canada either. Even when making apts here the wait is usually 3 to 4 weeks before you do get an apt. When making apts with the endo well that is usually months before you can get one. And people think medical in Canada is good. Well it used to be but not anymore thats for sure.

Old 12-07-2004, 01:39 PM   #10
(female)

yock HB User

While I agree that 500 calories a day is insane, unfortunately for some of us any more calories than that and we gain weight. I can't go over 800/1000 a day without gaining weight. It's just not fair. I'll never be able to eat macaroni and cheese again (lol)!! But the question here is why are our bodies like this after being diagnosed and taking thyroid medicine? As I stated in my earlier post, I used to NEVER have a problem losing weight before the "thyroid" issue, whether it be the hashi's itself, or the medicine I'm taking for it. I wish I had the answer, I really do. Because I'd like a piece of pizza now and then, and I can't, not unless I want to gain 3 lbs overnight. And quite frankly, I can't stay under 800 all the time, which is why I'm 25 lbs overweight.

Last edited by yock; 12-07-2004 at 01:42 PM.

Old 12-07-2004, 02:07 PM   #11

lostgrrl HB User

It's not just armour or synthroid - I am on cytomel and I can't stop gaining weight unless I stay under 800 calories too - and no carbs or fats - just lean meat steamed or boiled or baked and the same with green veggies. God help me when I can rememeber the taste of pasta or pizza or bread! And it is true...when we starve - we actually cause our bodies to slow down our metabolism by making more reverse t3 - which is an inactive form of thyroid hormone that bonds to the cells during any period of prolonged caloric restriction (under 800) and slows down our metabolism. But what can we do...if we eat we get fat! It's not like normal people...and when I exercise - I GAIN weight - how does that happen - and NOT good weight - fat weight - that too is caused by out metabolisms shutting down because we are hypo...there are documented reports on that.....

There is something wrong with the way endocrinologists are dealing with thyroid hormone replacement. I am taking TONS of cytomel and levoxyl and still feel hypo - my blood work would say i'm hyper - but at 53 pulse, low blood pressure, hair loss, and weight gain are NOT hyper. No doctors seem to be looking OUTSIDE the box. I am applying to go back to school next year pre med because I am determined that someone of us suffering has to find a cure - how come none of our doctors are HYPO???? How can they understand us? THey just sit there with their textooks while we suffer!!!!!!!!! The cells of some hypo people just don't seem to absorb and utilize the hormone replacements - no matter how much they give or what our levels are.....there's got to be a better way!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by lostgrrl; 12-07-2004 at 02:09 PM.

Old 12-08-2004, 07:47 PM   #12

MollieJK HB User

I have been able to lose 32 pounds while taking Synthroid and eating plenty (I don't know calories because I did Weight Watchers).. but I know I was on the right levels then.

But my troubles began about 18 months ago. I went on BC Pills over a yr ago and the dumb doc at the Student clinic didn't just not realize BC and Synthroid don't mix, but actually said I could take them at the same time. So after 6 months of slowly gaining weight and feeling crappy I finally got re-checked and surprise surprise- too low. Upped my dose, went back she said (diff doc) that I was still a little low-normal and I could up if I wanted.

DUMB ME SAYS "I FEEL FINE".

And now I work out 6 days a week, watch my points and gain weight. So off to my former OBGYN to check my levels and swallow the probable bills due to not having inusrance yet (and the one i am about to enroll in will probably suck). Course I also take generic and think that this is a big factor in feleing crappy these last two months.

sorry, got carried away with frustration. I kick myself every day for not just saying "Sure lets try a raise in dosage"

Last edited by MollieJK; 12-08-2004 at 07:50 PM.

Old 12-08-2004, 09:29 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1
That's insane! I can't believe a medical professional would condone such foolishness, much less say it's necessary! Use the search feature to find recent posts by patience50. (I can do it for you later, but I don't have time exactly now.) She posted information about the calorie requirement to keep a human body just running on idle .... and I know it's far more than 500!
Here's the URL of the post by Patience 50 that I referred to, and a portion of what she had to say:

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=225951&page=3&pp=10
"New Dr. agreed that I needed increase in meds. New Dr. also explained that no one, under any circumstances, should take in less than 1000 to 1200 cal a day to maintain proper digestion and metabolic rates. Anything less throws the body into starvation mode and no matter what you do the body will do it's best to preserve what it has. You will not urinate as much. Instead your body will hold fluid causing weight gain. If the fluid is evenly distributed you will not even notice it at first until 20 or more lbs of it are stored. The body will also lower heart rate and temp in order to preserve itself. She explained to me that severes cal restriction over a long period of time actually shuts down the thyroid gland in order to slow metabolic rate. Therefore, you may well have caused your body to attack your thyroid from your unhealthy eating habits."

Also, there is a natural dessicated thyroid product available in Canada. Until recently, it was called Parke-Davis, but I think the name has changed. May be just called "thyroid" now. Wishing you luck in finding a good doctor... You sure don't have one now!

Old 12-09-2004, 10:15 AM   #14

-Misha- HB User

Quote:
Also, there is a natural dessicated thyroid product available in Canada. Until recently, it was called Parke-Davis, but I think the name has changed. May be just called "thyroid" now. Wishing you luck in finding a good doctor... You sure don't have one now!
Yes, it's just called Thyroid and it's now carried by Pfizer.

Old 12-09-2004, 10:29 AM   #15
(female)

yock HB User

I have heard so many stories about the having to eat 1000 to 1200 a calories a day to stay above "starvation mode". Yet how do the doctors explain the fact that so many of us "hypo" people can't eat 1200 calories a day without gaining weight? What, is it healthier to stay in the 1200 calories a day range and keep gaining 5 lbs a month? And if I hear one more person say to me, "maybe you're eating more calories than you realize", I'll scream. I know EXACTLY how many calories I'm taking in each day. I keep a log, even on the days when I'm bad and eat too much. I count the coffeemate I put in my decaf coffee. Heck, I even count the calories in the vitamins I take. It's so frustrating. I know there are so many hypo women out there in the same situation as myself - 3 alone in the office where I work. What are these women doing to combat the weight gain? 800 -1000 calories a day, and not a calorie more. I wish I had the willpower, but I just quit smoking 8 months ago and my willpower is used up at the moment. Some days I'm good, some days not. As soon as I'm sure I won't smoke again, I'll start using that willpower to keep my calories in check. But I'm human, and a female in menopause to boot. My emotions and willpower are a little weary right now. Geez, I'm sorry I'm venting. Is it Friday yet?

Closed Thread