It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2004, 08:57 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User
Question before tomorrow for Meep hope you are here

I have the first appt in over 3 years, with and endro tomorrow afternoon. My question is should I tell him about all of my symptoms and stuff the first time I see the poor man? My previous experience with doctors (GP'S mainly) Is that this last year I have had soooo many symptoms that the last 2 PCP's did not seem to like me telling it all the first time! I have tried to keep a diary and that seemed to make latest PCP angry. Maybe I am just not good at DR's period! I am worried that the lumps on my hip and knee are the C-word returned but what is more stressful than its return, is me facing my Dr. and asking him if it has! Does this make any sense? I had thyroid cancer 15 years ago with total removal and Radium 151 I think its called. They kept me off meds and did a MRI? to check for it's return right away. Thats's it, no other scans all of these years and most of that time have been hypo, due to too little med's I know this is all my fault for waiting so long but the longer I waited the more I just gave up on seeing another endro. I did see one over 3 years ago and he was pretty upset with me for not having a scan before then. Sorry if this letter makes no sense to you I get pretty emotional about DR's, But that's another story.

Old 12-07-2004, 06:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
Re: Question before tomorrow for Meep hope you are here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzi
I have the first appt in over 3 years, with and endro tomorrow afternoon. My question is should I tell him about all of my symptoms and stuff the first time I see the poor man? My previous experience with doctors (GP'S mainly) Is that this last year I have had soooo many symptoms that the last 2 PCP's did not seem to like me telling it all the first time! I have tried to keep a diary and that seemed to make latest PCP angry. Maybe I am just not good at DR's period! I am worried that the lumps on my hip and knee are the C-word returned but what is more stressful than its return, is me facing my Dr. and asking him if it has! Does this make any sense? I had thyroid cancer 15 years ago with total removal and Radium 151 I think its called. They kept me off meds and did a MRI? to check for it's return right away. Thats's it, no other scans all of these years and most of that time have been hypo, due to too little med's I know this is all my fault for waiting so long but the longer I waited the more I just gave up on seeing another endro. I did see one over 3 years ago and he was pretty upset with me for not having a scan before then. Sorry if this letter makes no sense to you I get pretty emotional about DR's, But that's another story.
Good luck with your appointment. What would be helpful to your doc would be a simple list of the worst symptoms on a piece of paper. But really, since you have no thyroid gland and have been under-treated all these years, the doc will be more concerned with suppressing your TSH to prevent the cancer from returning than your symptoms. I know you are nervous about that (I am probably grossly understating that), but it is the best thing you can do to start getting your health on track. I wish you the best!

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Last edited by Meep; 12-07-2004 at 06:26 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2004, 07:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

Thanks Meep, I am not really that nervous about getting cancer its the dealing with medical people that I have a hard time with LOL. This disease hypo or hyper causes so many symptoms that I have started to feel like I'm going crazy. I am a little worried about them taking me off meds to do a scan, Not fun as we all know. I will make another list though, who knows maybe this Dr. won't get mad and make fun of me. Thanks for replying the people on this board are wonderful!

Old 12-07-2004, 08:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzi
I will make another list though, who knows maybe this Dr. won't get mad and make fun of me. Thanks for replying the people on this board are wonderful!
Can I throw in my two cents, Benzi?

If any doctor makes fun of you or gets mad, it's his problem, not yours. He may have the finest medical and scientific education in the world, but if he hasn't learned how to share it with and practice it on real, live patients, he's the idiot; not you. Remember that you have as much worth as he does, although it may be in dissimilar ways.

The best way to gain self-confidence with these professionals is to read and learn as much as you can about your condition. When you are absolutely sure of your facts, you will no longer feel intimidated.
Best of luck to you with the new doctor!

Closed Thread