It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2004, 06:24 AM   #1
(female)

pickapro1999 HB User
Question READINGS AND COMBO MEDS NEED HELP!!![from the pros]

Hi All;
Need some help. Have been taking 90mg. of armour for about 5 months[probably not the full 90mg for that long, had to work my way up] Saw dr. 11/19 and he tried to add unithroid 50mcg. Not doing well. My body is under a lot of stress because my urine is not yellow[I take alot of stress B]so I am using the B not passing what I don't need, bowels are messed up too. The reason he added the unithroid was because of awful headaches, muscle and joint pain & fatigue. These things still persist plus I am retaining water and not eliminating.

READINGS: Sept. 16 READINGS:Nov 19

FT3: 3.24 [1.45-3.48] FT3: 2.2 [2.0-4.9]

FT4: 0.88 [.71-1.85] FT4: 0.81 [.75-1.54]

TSH: 0.13 [.49-4.67] TSH: 0.31 [.5-6.0]

Discontinued unithroid this morning but know I need to do something. Have been reading recommendations on the board but am confused on what I should do. I know all my readings are too low and need help to figure what I should do. I am very sensitive to meds. so I know I must be careful. Any advice will be appreciated.
My God Bless One and All :

Last edited by pickapro1999; 12-07-2004 at 06:25 AM. Reason: spacing

Old 12-07-2004, 08:38 AM   #2
(female)

nimbeth HB User
Re: READINGS AND COMBO MEDS NEED HELP!!![from the pros]

Hi,

I can relate, I am on Armour 1 grain it has been about 10 weeks on meds and so far no relief. And my bowels are messed up as well. I take a combination of Zelnorn (when it works), suppoisitorries, Milk of Mag, biascodyl enemas. And feel very bloated at times, which makes me very depressed. Do you take anything to help with the bowel relief?

Your not alone! Hopefully soon we all get better and having things running "regular"!

Nimbeth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2004, 09:37 AM   #3
(female)

pickapro1999 HB User

No, I didn't have any problems after armour it was previous to taking meds. I retained water and had to have assistance with bowel movements. In recent years I took vit. B and magnesium caps to assist me before that I took chemical persriptions for water retention and evacugen overcounter laxative.
Thanks for your reply, I knew I wasn't alone...

Last edited by pickapro1999; 12-07-2004 at 09:39 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 12-07-2004, 10:42 AM   #4
(female)

nimbeth HB User

I know its kind of gross to talk about, but how long after you were on Armour did your symptoms go away? Also, did the Vit. B and Mag. supplement work and what were the dosages of those? Has your bloating/fluid retention gone away since armour? How long have you been on Armour? Sorry for all the questions, but I just need some hope!

Thanks
NImbeth

Old 12-07-2004, 11:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickapro1999
Hi All;

Kris it looks to me like you're undermedicated; both FTs have fallen since Sept - TSH means nothing now that you're on meds, so we'll disregard it completely.

I think that the dose you're on just wasn't enough. I know that with my FT4 too low I feel just awful, headches constantly and really bad sleep. I also know that it took getting my FTs to the mid point before I started to see relief from things like constipation, dry itchy skin and hair loss.

Nat

Old 12-08-2004, 03:32 AM   #6
(female)

pickapro1999 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimbeth
I know its kind of gross to talk about, but how long after you were on Armour did your symptoms go away? Also, did the Vit. B and Mag. supplement work and what were the dosages of those? Has your bloating/fluid retention gone away since armour? How long have you been on Armour? Sorry for all the questions, but I just need some hope!

Thanks
NImbeth

Nimbeth, my help from constipation was immediately!!! The first levoxyl pill I took in Jan. and I couldn't take levoxyl. Water retention now that is something else. I still take 2 stress B's which helps with water retention and helps with the stess. Now magnesium is a whole different animal if you are on thyroid meds. I would not go there. From what you are saying I would say you have not got your meds up to par. How many mg are you taking and what were you numbers? As soon as you get your meds up, you should get relief. If you are going to try stress B remember you cannot take them along with your thyroid meds. I take them just before bed. I have been on 90mg of armour for about 7 months. I took myself off unithroid yesterday and today I seem to be back to where I was before I started them, I was only on them for 8 days I couldn't stand it....
Hope this has helped some

Old 12-08-2004, 03:46 AM   #7
(female)

pickapro1999 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopherhead
Kris it looks to me like you're undermedicated; both FTs have fallen since Sept - TSH means nothing now that you're on meds, so we'll disregard it completely.

I think that the dose you're on just wasn't enough. I know that with my FT4 too low I feel just awful, headches constantly and really bad sleep. I also know that it took getting my FTs to the mid point before I started to see relief from things like constipation, dry itchy skin and hair loss.

Nat
Nat, Thanks for the response. And you are right my FT4 are too low and thats why the doctor tried to add unithroid and all that happened was I blew up like a toad. I was so uncomfortable that I couldn't stand it. Thats why I took myself off the unithroid plus the rest of the symtoms were still there headaches, muscle and join pain, and fatigue. I have got to call the dr. but today I am going to add some more armour I have some 30mg. left from the beginning and I am going to cut them in half and try adding 15mg. and see what happens. I think 50mcg of the unithroid were too much for me, so later I may add a quarter of the dose to my regiment. My FT4s have not gone up at all during the time I have been treated they are at the same place now as when he started treating me a year ago.

May God Bless One and All

Old 12-08-2004, 05:37 AM   #8
(female)

nimbeth HB User

Hi Pickapro,

I have been on Armour 1 grain (2nd day of this dose), I started on 1/4 grain for a month and moved to 1/2 grain for a month. These are labs that were drawn at the time:

TSH 1.35
T4 .96 Ref: .61 - 1.76
T3 2.9 Ref: 2.3 - 4.2

My body seems to very achy by the end of the day, I guess it could be from the water retention. Anyway your input is greatly appreciated. Happy Holidays!

Thanks
NImbeth

Old 12-08-2004, 06:18 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Kris have you tried another form of T4? maybe the Unithroid is just not for you?

Old 12-08-2004, 04:38 PM   #10
(male)

dimab HB User

I too have been taking Armour with some success (although not close enough to call it a recovery) and also noticed that my T4 was significantly lower than T3. I also am unable to get rid of the disabling chronic fatique and excess weight. Hence I started looking into adding T4.

At first I was surprized that there was no natural T4 available but in the end decided to try Synthroid. Added 50mcg to a grain of Armour I've taking and... so far I'm feeling worse :-).

Does anybody know what the difference between different synthetic T4 meds like Synthroid, Unithroid, etc is? Is there a consensus on which the best one is?

Warm regards,
Dima

Old 12-10-2004, 03:30 AM   #11
(female)

pickapro1999 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimab
I too have been taking Armour with some success (although not close enough to call it a recovery) and also noticed that my T4 was significantly lower than T3. I also am unable to get rid of the disabling chronic fatique and excess weight. Hence I started looking into adding T4.

At first I was surprized that there was no natural T4 available but in the end decided to try Synthroid. Added 50mcg to a grain of Armour I've taking and... so far I'm feeling worse :-).

Does anybody know what the difference between different synthetic T4 meds like Synthroid, Unithroid, etc is? Is there a consensus on which the best one is?

Warm regards,
Dima
Dima,

I have tried levoxyl, synthroid and now unithroid and have problems with them all. From what my doctor said it is the fillers that cause the problem. But I don't know, I keep telling him it is because it is a manufactured T4 and not natural. I am going to try and add the unithroid again but only about 12.5mcg at a time and see what happens. I upped my own armour to 105mg and am feeling some better. At least I don't have a headache everyday. I have been without a headache now for 3 days. Quite an accomplishment.

Old 12-10-2004, 03:34 AM   #12
(female)

pickapro1999 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopherhead
Kris have you tried another form of T4? maybe the Unithroid is just not for you?
Yes, I have tried levoxyl, synthroid and now unithroid I have reactions to them all and I don't seem to be able to convert T4 to T3. Maybe I should ask a question about that...

Thanks for the Response

Old 12-10-2004, 06:34 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

Quote:
Hi All;
Need some help. Have been taking 90mg. of armour for about 5 months[probably not the full 90mg for that long, had to work my way up] Saw dr. 11/19 and he tried to add unithroid 50mcg. Not doing well. My body is under a lot of stress because my urine is not yellow[I take alot of stress B]so I am using the B not passing what I don't need, bowels are messed up too. The reason he added the unithroid was because of awful headaches, muscle and joint pain & fatigue. These things still persist plus I am retaining water and not eliminating.

Discontinued unithroid this morning but know I need to do something. Have been reading recommendations on the board but am confused on what I should do. I know all my readings are too low and need help to figure what I should do. I am very sensitive to meds. so I know I must be careful. Any advice will be appreciated.
My God Bless One and All :
Kris, I think you are undermedicated and also probably suffering from Adrenal Fatigue, if your stress level is as high as you say.

To answer your question about conversion, Most T4-->T3 conversion is done by the liver. If you have ANY liver problems, detectable or not, your conversion may be compromised. Here are some things that affect conversion: Selenium Deficiency, low-carb dieting, lack of activity, liver problems, or regular ingestion of alcohol, acetaminophen (tylenol and other "aspirin free" pain relievers, or other meds that are metabolized primarily by the liver).

Taking Selenium might help, but no more than 200mcg a day. Eliminating the other problems are a good idea too.

Also make sure you are not taking your meds with food or any other supplements as a general rule. Allow at least 4 hours between your meds and any food or supplement with Calcium, Estrogen, Aluminum (many antacids), Iron, Carafate (a common stomach ulcer med), or any food or supplement high in fiber.

Let's look at your labs. I will throw out the September labs, because I am willing to bet that you took your meds before your blood draw that day. Never take your meds before a blood draw, or only have your blood drawn 8 hours or more after your meds, that day if you want accurate Free T3 and Free T4 labs.

The labs I see tell me you are very much under-medicated. A dose increase woudl be a good idea, unless you haven't been following the guidelines I mentioned above. If you haven't been taking your meds right, start doing it now, and retest in 6 weeks to see what happens. If you HAVE been taking your meds right, talk to your doc about a dose increase.

Meanwhile, to help you learn how to deal with your stress both mentally and physically, find this book: Adrenal Fatigue: 21st Century Stress Syndrome. It has great ideas on stress reduction, and your high stress may be what is making you have problems with changes in your thyriod meds. Been there, done that, got a closet full of T-shirts.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 12-11-2004, 03:25 AM   #14
(female)

pickapro1999 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meep
Kris, I think you are undermedicated and also probably suffering from Adrenal Fatigue, if your stress level is as high as you say.

To answer your question about conversion, Most T4-->T3 conversion is done by the liver. If you have ANY liver problems, detectable or not, your conversion may be compromised. Here are some things that affect conversion: Selenium Deficiency, low-carb dieting, lack of activity, liver problems, or regular ingestion of alcohol, acetaminophen (tylenol and other "aspirin free" pain relievers, or other meds that are metabolized primarily by the liver).

Taking Selenium might help, but no more than 200mcg a day. Eliminating the other problems are a good idea too.

Also make sure you are not taking your meds with food or any other supplements as a general rule. Allow at least 4 hours between your meds and any food or supplement with Calcium, Estrogen, Aluminum (many antacids), Iron, Carafate (a common stomach ulcer med), or any food or supplement high in fiber.

Let's look at your labs. I will throw out the September labs, because I am willing to bet that you took your meds before your blood draw that day. Never take your meds before a blood draw, or only have your blood drawn 8 hours or more after your meds, that day if you want accurate Free T3 and Free T4 labs.

The labs I see tell me you are very much under-medicated. A dose increase woudl be a good idea, unless you haven't been following the guidelines I mentioned above. If you haven't been taking your meds right, start doing it now, and retest in 6 weeks to see what happens. If you HAVE been taking your meds right, talk to your doc about a dose increase.

Meanwhile, to help you learn how to deal with your stress both mentally and physically, find this book: Adrenal Fatigue: 21st Century Stress Syndrome. It has great ideas on stress reduction, and your high stress may be what is making you have problems with changes in your thyriod meds. Been there, done that, got a closet full of T-shirts.
Meep, Thanks for the help. I didn't know about the alcohol I have 1-3 drinks in the evening, plus because of all the headaches and muscle and joint pain I have been taking alot of perscription motrin 650 or 800. So that could be part of the problem. The selenium I was aware of and have made sure I get what I need. Yes, I do take my meds correctly. I upped my armour by 15mg and called and informed the doctor of what I was planning on doing. Usually he calls but did not that day. I am planning on trying to add some unithroid but very slowly about 12.5mcg at a time, but first I will get use to the added armour. I will try and find a copy of the book you recommended at the book store. Thank you so very much for the info.

May God Bless You and Yours

Old 12-11-2004, 08:58 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

Quote:
Meep, Thanks for the help. I didn't know about the alcohol I have 1-3 drinks in the evening, plus because of all the headaches and muscle and joint pain I have been taking alot of perscription motrin 650 or 800. So that could be part of the problem.
Motrin is OK, it is meds with Acetaminophen (active ingredient in Tylenol and many cold/flu meds) that is a load on your liver.

Quote:
The selenium I was aware of and have made sure I get what I need. Yes, I do take my meds correctly. I upped my armour by 15mg and called and informed the doctor of what I was planning on doing. Usually he calls but did not that day. I am planning on trying to add some unithroid but very slowly about 12.5mcg at a time, but first I will get use to the added armour.
Sounds like a good plan. Is your doctor in on this, too (Adding the Unithroid), or are you self-medicating?

Quote:
I will try and find a copy of the book you recommended at the book store. Thank you so very much for the info.

May God Bless You and Yours
I am always glad to help!

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Last edited by Meep; 12-11-2004 at 08:59 AM.

Closed Thread