It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2004, 09:54 AM   #1
Inactive

Stacey82 HB User
Unhappy I'm giving up hope :(

Hi everyone hope you are well....

I really need some advice.. I've been dealing with my hypo for over 6 months now... My TSH, T3 & T4 numbers are all in the ranges and my doctor is satisfied with them.
My HYPO symptoms are still very bad... almost as bad as they were before I was treated...
I can't lose weight even though I eat a really low calorie diet and exercise 6 days a week.
I'm 22, I'm young... I don't think I should have all these problems???

I don't know what else to do... I have no energy and I sleep way too much.. I won't even wake up unless I set my alarm really loud to break my sleep.

I take lots of vitamins and eat a proper diet... NOTHING is working?????

Is there anything else that could be wrong with me???? What tests could I ask my doctor for?
If my Cortisol levels or other stress hormones are off- would this affect my getting better?

I have no idea what else to do... my doctor won't help.

Stacey

Old 12-07-2004, 10:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: I'm giving up hope :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey82
My TSH, T3 & T4 numbers are all in the ranges and my doctor is satisfied with them.
This is your main problem. Your doctor is like most; only interested in getting your test results to look good on paper, instead of making you well.
Post your test results if you want to. We can tell you what your doctor might be missing. After that, you may have to change doctors, to find one who is willing to treat you with enough medicine to make you well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2004, 10:33 AM   #3
(female)

LucyPearl HB User

Quote:
I can't lose weight even though I eat a really low calorie diet and exercise 6 days a week.
I'm 22, I'm young... I don't think I should have all these problems???
I feel your pain here. I'm struggling with the weight loss issue also. Be careful, though. It's tempting to eat low calorie, but if you go too low, you'll do more harm than good. You MUST feed your body. I know you're young...I have a daughter your age and having health problems is usually NOT on the agenda for young people. But, unfortunately, this is the case for you...it's the hand you've been dealt right now. But there's good news...IT CAN BE RESOLVED and turned around in your favor. If you have a doc that you feel does not have your best interest in heart, then find another one and don't stop until you've located one who'll LISTEN to your symptoms and NOT to your lab tests. Obviously, your "normal" labs don't mean a flying fig if you're still feeling bad.

Quote:
Is there anything else that could be wrong with me???? What tests could I ask my doctor for?
If my Cortisol levels or other stress hormones are off- would this affect my getting better?
Darn skippy it would affect you getting better!! If I were you, I'd definately have my cortisol level checked. I'm about to have mine checked for the first time as well because I'm sure that's a big part of my problem. Heck, just "stressing" about the weight issue is really doing us more harm than good...it's a vicious cycle!

Quote:
I have no idea what else to do... my doctor won't help.
Find another doctor...don't give up! There's help out there you just have to be informed and determined to find out why your body is NOT responding and what you can do remedy it. Keep coming here for support and good advise and use the internet to seek as much information about your body and hormones.

Hang in there
LucyPearl

Old 12-07-2004, 06:18 PM   #4

LynnHan HB User

I agree with midwest and Lucy...find a NEW DOCTOR and learn how to interview them prior to deciding that THEY are "the one".

I've learned that only IIIIIIII have my best interest at heart. So push for getting proper care is my ONLY focus. I deserve it, and so do you.

Old 12-07-2004, 07:02 PM   #5

Autumnrayne HB User

I'm your age struggling with the same problems. I'm way to young to feel this run down and tired. Also struggling with weight loss, as I have been my entire life. I suspect that I have had this thyroid problems for years, as my little brother was as overweight as i was and after taking his Synthroid, he has lost 80lb.

hopefully it will help me too.

Old 12-07-2004, 07:11 PM   #6
Inactive

Stacey82 HB User

Thank you everyone for the words and support....

I just feel like month after month I'm constantly coming back here for help because I haven't seen any improvement

I am going for an updated blood test tomorrow- so I will post the results when I have them. My last blood work my T3 & T4 were in the upper ranges- and my TSH was under 2.0.
So again the frustration of having my #'s be satisfactory to my doctor- means she thinks I am fine... When I know I'm not.
Especially when I've changed my lifestyle so drastically- like eating healthier, exercising alot, drinking more water, going to bed earlier, etc.... and still NOTHING is showing improvement.
I've been doing this over 6 months now- I'm getting frustrated.

I will take Midwest, LynnHan and LucyPearls suggestions and I will have to look for a new doctor.... In the meantime I'm going to get my cortisol levels tested and possibly get some T3-cytomel. My Dr. told me before that cytomel probably won't do anything for me because my T3 level was in the upper range of the proper levels. But it's worth a try?????

AutumnRayne- I hope you see improvement soon!!
Unfortunitely I never lost a single pound when I started my synthroid. My TSH was even in the "hyper" range for about a month and I still didn't lose weight.

Old 12-08-2004, 07:10 AM   #7
Inactive

westin4 HB User

Stacey,

I am in kind of the same boat. My labs are really good....tsh at 1, t4 andd t3 upper range........t3 uptake good.....but it is my anitbodies that are off and causing my problmes. Could that be your case? I have hashi's with quite a bit of thyroid inflammation, however not thyroid dysfunction yet. I have had terrible thyroid symptoms for 4 years and nobody would listen until now. I also lost 60 pounds this last 18 months and every dr said there is nothing wrong with your thyroid if you lost weight. Well, finally my thyroid was so enlarged..................it became apparent that I DID have a thyroid problem and even though my labs are good I still have symptoms. Just an idea, not sure if it helps.

I am trying to decide right now if I want to start on the synthroid just to supress my antibodies and hopefully shrink my thyroid. I hate to start the med and start up more trouble.

Karen

Old 12-08-2004, 07:36 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User

Karen, your story sounds exactly like my mom's.. except she hasn't been able to loose any (signifigant) weight..

She used to be on synthroid though

Old 12-08-2004, 07:37 AM   #9
Inactive

sillysundy43 HB User

I know how you feel. I had a lot of the symptoms too and the doctors say I'm fine, so I started taking Armour Thyroid on my own and feel so much better!

I started out taking one grain and now I take one grain one day and two grains the next day. This dosage seems to keep my body temp up without making me hyper. I take the second grain in the afternoon around 4 p.m., and the first one in the morning on an empty stomach.

My TSH was 0.017 and the doctor thinks I'm hyper! I didn't tell him I was self-treating though However, my T3 was in the lower range and T4 in the mid-range!

Good luck. Also, I did lose about 5 pounds, so the weight loss has not been that much yet. I'm hoping to lose another 5. I've only been taking it for two months now. I still have to diet, but I don't starve myself.

I heard that the flouride in the drinking water messes up a lot of people's thyroid and that about 20 percent more Americans have an underactive thyroid, even though their lab numbers are normal!

Old 12-08-2004, 07:49 AM   #10
Inactive

westin4 HB User

Can I ask either one of you, do you think I should start the synthroid for the hashi's? My pcp is who is going to treat me for this because she is the only one smart enough to listen to my symptoms instead of labs. In fact she just cut to the chase and sent me for a biopsy so I would "know" exactly what was going on. That is how I found out I had hashi's. She is willing to let my take the meds without my labs being off if I want to try them.

Also...........I have this issue too. I feel like I go from hypo to hyper in the same day, can that happen? I will post that in the thread.

Thanks for any ideas.......

Karen

Old 12-08-2004, 08:01 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User

Karen - I almost want to say my mom went off her synthroid (dr's orders) when they found out she had hashimotos, and a large goider, but I can't be certain.. I was pretty young.

Granted even though she had an endo diagnose her with hashi's (from a biopsy and ultrasound) her GP still insists her thyroid is fine eventhough when she turns her head her voice cuts out because her thyroid is so inflamed - among other problems she has. (I'm pushing for her to find a new GP, but at least she has an appointment on friday - referred by her GP, I think just to shut her up - to an ear, nose & throat guy)

Old 12-08-2004, 08:05 AM   #12
Inactive

westin4 HB User

So your Mom basically sounds like me.......large thyroid and hashi's with symptoms, but normal labs????? Wow, finally. I can't seem to find anyone else like this! Thanks for letting me know. I am only 40 and don't want to grow a second head with a goiter, ya know? Also, this kind of inflammation is painful.

Old 12-08-2004, 10:45 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Stacey, I understand what you are going through. It is like beating your head against the wall. I have seem 3 doctors and they all go by the bloodtests. As long as it is in the range, it's okay. It really makes me hate doctors.

They would not give me any meds even though I told them my symptoms. Just gave up and started selftreating(which is something I really did not want to do). But it is either feel good or die from a heart attack from my high blood pressure. My blood pressure use to me 150s over 90s. Today it was 128over 74.

Now I do realize that my bloodpressure was from the hypoT. It is better to find a doctor that will treat you by your symptoms.

Good luck to you

Old 12-08-2004, 10:59 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel47630
So your Mom basically sounds like me.......large thyroid and hashi's with symptoms, but normal labs????? Wow, finally. I can't seem to find anyone else like this! Thanks for letting me know. I am only 40 and don't want to grow a second head with a goiter, ya know? Also, this kind of inflammation is painful.
Yeah.. she feels alone too. She's tired of having a constant sore throat, and sounding like she's been a chain smoker for 20 years.

My mom is... (i think) 45/46.. she's been dealing with a goiter for a couple years now, it's only recently become quite large.

Old 12-08-2004, 02:22 PM   #15
Inactive

westin4 HB User

Is she going to do anything about the size? Is it visible or can she just feel that it is big? What is hard is having this condition and being told it is "normal" since your labs are ok. Luckily my pcp will let me try meds without labs being off

Closed Thread