It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2004, 10:50 AM   #1
(female)

LucyPearl HB User
Angry A Vicious, Ugly Cycle

We come here, myself included, for support and advise because we're either suffering from hypo, hyper, hashi, thyroid cancer or other thyroid disease and issues. I've discovered recently just how much the cortisol (stress) hormone plays in the delicate balancing act. So it's more than just about our thyroid hormones being in balance. It's a vicious cycle of worrying about being on the right amount of meds, seeing the most informed and supportive docs, losing the weight that we've gained and don't know why, resolving joint pains, insomnia and wild mood swings! And to boot...for us women who are perimenopausal or menopausal, we've got the estrogen and progesterone hormones to consider as well! (I'm included in this group, too!) Well...I've stressed and worried about this whole thing for the past 6 weeks. It hasn't been all bad because my determination to seek answers led me to this board and I'm grateful. I just wonder if I've done myself more harm than good by worrying. I noticed that just around the time I decided to join a fancy, schmancy gym about 3 months ago, instead of losing additional weight, I GAINED! I have yet to lose one pound since becoming a member! I'm laughing so hard right now at myself! I'd originally lost almost 70lbs PRIOR to joing the gym. Know how? Walking almost every day...slowly at first and then briskly and of course changing my bad eating habits! But I walked and it was wonderful! I miss it. I really do. I just realized how much. It was peaceful and I would sing, pray,listen to my headphones, talk things out to myself or just listen to the world...birds, car horns, etc. Now I've joined this gym, and I'm sure it has it's benefits, and I find myself rushing to get there and noticing all the "skinny" people there and although my accomplishment of losing 70lbs is a wonderful one, which I'm proud of, I found myself still comparing myself and feeling maybe a little inadequate....rushed? pressured? maybe all of the above.
Pardon my rambling...I just wanted to share that bit of insight I've discovered. It's ironic that I've gained weight inspite of all the fancy equiptment at the gym and I get to pay for it every month in membership dues! The walking was free...and I felt freer, too. Maybe it's NOT a coincidence that my hormones may be out of whack, including the stress one. Heck, I've been under more stress in the past 2 years than I have in past 2 months and I was able to lose weight so go figure!
LucyPearl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2004, 06:14 PM   #2

LynnHan HB User
Re: A Vicious, Ugly Cycle

Lucy....honey, I've been in that SAME BOAT as you. THAT is why it too lead me to this board. In search of answers! I believe Lucy, we are on the VERGE of getting to the bottom of this dear!

NOTHING would please me more! I'm SO SO PROUD of you Lucy! I can TELL your "learning"...cause your sounding MORE and MORE "informed" like ME!

It may seem overwhelming...but really it's pretty interesting, and very hopeful!!!

May the NEW YEAR bring about the change we've wished, hoped and prayed for Lucy my friend!!!!!! I have EVERY OUNCE OF FAITH THAT IT WILL!!!!!!!!

Stress sucks, so...we have to STOP it in it's tracks! IF it ain't good for me, I ain't havin it!!!!! ~ that's my new motto!!

Lynn

Old 12-08-2004, 10:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User
Re: A Vicious, Ugly Cycle

You are probably gaining muscle and it weighs more than fat. I would go back to walking and buy a home gym. Don't add to your stress by looking at those skinny people. You have accomplished wonderful things lately don't forget that.

Closed Thread