It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2004, 01:04 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User
Unhappy mood swings..

This isn't entirely thyroid related - though it's a direct result of my thyroid problems..

Today for instance, I went from bouncing around my cube to christmas music, to fighting tears because of some relationship issues I'm dealing with right now - this happened in a matter of probably an hour.

It happens at the drop of a hat though - and usually for no good reason.

Any ideas on how to control this??

Old 12-07-2004, 01:35 PM   #2
(female)

LucyPearl HB User
Re: mood swings..

irys,

Mood swings, mild to severe, are very common in thyroid disorders. Many times once you're on the correct meds, this does improve. ARe you having other symptoms as well? How old are you? close to premenopause/menopause age? There COULD be other hormones in question also, ie, too much estrogen and not enough progesterone. Just throwing some ideas out there at you I relate well to the abrupt shift in moods...I'm that way, too. I have noticed (I think ) a difference when I'm on T3 (cytomel) - a difference for the better...less depressed feelings, more upbeat. That's just me, though. I'm considering natural progesterone - going to see my doc on Friday and will discuss it then. Let's not forget that you said you're dealing with relationship problems...that's enough to make anyone cry at the drop of a hat...been there Sorry it's so up and down for you right now...hope things get better
LucyPearl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2004, 02:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User

Thanks for your reply Lucy, I originally posted here ([url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=230888[/url]) with some of the stuff I'm dealing with/symptoms/suspicions - junk like that.

I guess I was hoping someone would say "blink three times" and you'll be fine! I'm just so tired of feeling like this..

Old 12-07-2004, 03:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bellajoon HB User

Hmm Mood swings! Even though I have gotten my thyroid levels at a good range and I take 2 different antid's, I still have them. I was listening to a song on the radio and it made me cry. My daughter was looking at me like I was crazy. I cry at the drop of the hat! Being both hypo and pre- menopausal probably doesn't help. One minute I am fine, the next sad, and maybe the next mad as all get out. Feel like I have quite a few personalities going on inside. Oh well! Still, life is good.

Old 12-07-2004, 04:25 PM   #5
(female)

kloet HB User

I am so glad to hear I am not the only one with mood problems. Sometimes I feel like I am constantly at my children. So angry for absolutely nothing or something little and then the next minute I feel like crying. I too am tired of feeling this way. But I do not know exactly what causes it. I have had all the thyroid tests done and with only my Free T4 at the lower end of the range 9.2 (range 9.1-23.8) my doctor says everything is "normal". Then sometimes I think it is premenopausal or is it PMS or is it estrogen dominance? So many questions and not enough answers. Anyways I am glad to hear that I am not the only one with this mood thing going on. Just wanted to vent alittle, sorry about that. Thanks and God Bless.

Old 12-07-2004, 06:09 PM   #6

LynnHan HB User

I have a suggestion for you guys. I did this, and "found" a pattern in myself. Start tracking this touchy moodiness....is it ten days away (or so) from starting your period? I got/get sooooooooooo irrational and upset 10 days away from starting.

As Lucy said, this is very much hormonally related. If you don't mind me asking...what AGE are you at? If your in your thirties or forties, it's more then likely due to being premenopausal?

Old 12-08-2004, 05:02 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User

It's almost 10 days before I am supposed to get my period yes, and it's possible that's it, but it just never seemes to go away - I get this through the entire month.

I'll be 24 on friday actually So I doubt it's the pre-menopause stuff..

I can't wait for my appointment with my endo - I really hope he's able to help me with my thyroid - if nothing else he should be able to help me with the mood swings.

Old 12-08-2004, 07:25 AM   #8
(female)

kloet HB User

You are right. I am about 10 days from getting my period as well. I am also 35 years old and my mother started menopause early so do you think that it could run in the family. Any advice on how to deal with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and God Bless.

Old 12-08-2004, 10:46 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bellajoon HB User

Well, I'm 48 and more than 10 days away from starting my period. I have to think it is premenopausal.

Old 12-08-2004, 10:02 PM   #10

LynnHan HB User

Well....if your interested, we are "talking" about how our hormones are out of whack in a thread about perimenopause and thyroid symptoms started by Lucy Pearl.

I SWEAR my hormones have been "out of whack" ever since I "started" as a young girl...and THAT is VERY likely too. I will know MORE when I go see my new dr. Estrogene dominance is the KEY 'phrase' ~ Bioidentical (natural) hormone replacement is the key. I hope anyways. I tell ya, I'm READY to stop this needless misery!!!!!!!!

Look up Dr. John R. Lee's site..and see IF you identify?

Closed Thread